RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

clipthis

Feb 5, 2007, 3:33 PM
Post #1 of 14 (1448 views)
Shortcut

bouldering in PA
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey all...
So, I have been searching the web for some really good sites that can give me good descriptions and good directions to areas in PA...but, you know all I keep coming up with are really vague details on the area(s) and it's getting harder and harder to find alot of these places...If anyone can help me out with some good spots for bouldering in the PA area...primarily Montgomery County, Lancaster, Philly...If anyone ever wants to meet up to do some routes...send me a pm

chalker7

Feb 5, 2007, 3:41 PM
Post #2 of 14 (1445 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clipthis] bouldering in PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Governor Stable (requires PAC membership)
Rock Run Boulders (north of Williamsport)
Boxcar Rocks (my home crag and in need of develoment)

The above aren't close man, but I can get you to them with the exception of GS because I don't have a membership. But if you're looking for a regular afterwork spot I can't really help, sorry. Let me know if you find something cool within 2 hours of Lancaster, cuz I'll hit it up with you.

Peace.
Colby.

microbarn

Feb 5, 2007, 4:37 PM
Post #3 of 14 (1431 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chalker7] bouldering in PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't help that much, but the directions to Haycock seem pretty good:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/..._Region/Haycock_Mtn/

I have heard good things about that place.

Governor Stable is closed as of March 1, 2007:
http://www.paclimbers.org/index.php

akokskis

Feb 5, 2007, 7:05 PM
Post #4 of 14 (1409 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know that Whiskey Springs is a pretty nice area. I've only been there once, but the one that that I went (early dec) there was no one there (it was a sunday), and it was just some nice climbing.

Don't know the geography of PA that well, but it's in the Carlisle area, which is kinda close to Lancaster, I think (?).

adklimber

Feb 5, 2007, 7:10 PM
Post #5 of 14 (1407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to the Gunks!

bizarrodrinker

Feb 6, 2007, 12:55 PM
Post #6 of 14 (1377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chalker7 wrote:
Governor Stable (requires PAC membership)
Rock Run Boulders (north of Williamsport)
Boxcar Rocks (my home crag and in need of develoment)

The above aren't close man, but I can get you to them with the exception of GS because I don't have a membership. But if you're looking for a regular afterwork spot I can't really help, sorry. Let me know if you find something cool within 2 hours of Lancaster, cuz I'll hit it up with you.

Peace.
Colby.

Governor stables is closing on March 1st to climbers.

dharmatreez

Feb 6, 2007, 3:53 PM
Post #7 of 14 (1354 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bizarrodrinker] bouldering in PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

its not close to your area, but some of the best bouldering in the state (i'm not a boulderer, but even i think this place is amazing to be at) is Rocky Ridge Natural Area (aka Hunters Rock) in between State College and Huntingdon.

there is a lifetime of bouldering on super friction Orisaky Sandstone with classic problems and cleaned boulders along with tons of lines to be discovered along the mile of ridge top. V0- up to V11 that i have seen, and many more routes that are not posted on RC yet

there is a motorized camping spot along Frew Road that is reservable and FREE from the Rothrock State Forest Office that would allow a great weekend trip, it puts you right by the cul-de-sac and trail head for the main area (Fortress)

a must visit for any PA climber who likes to boulder

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...al_Area_aka_Hunters/

i'll be there this spring to finish up the topo sketches and locate some more established routes, if you would head to the area, give me a PM and i can give you a walk thru if you want one

happy trails and safe climbing

jason

chalker7

Feb 6, 2007, 4:04 PM
Post #8 of 14 (1350 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dharmatreez] bouldering in PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bizarrodrinker- GS is closing permanently or is it a seasonal thing? I don't climb there, but I thought th PAC had that place pretty much in their back pockets from what I heard... interesting none-the-less.

dharmatreez- I can't speak for clipthis, but I may very well venture that way at some point this season, so you can probably expect a PM from me if you would be so kind as to show me around. I think I remember seeing some pics of the area and always thought about heading there. I'm assuming there's no access issues, but I remember hearing that there were? Of course, my memory is absolutely worthless.

bizarrodrinker

Feb 6, 2007, 4:08 PM
Post #9 of 14 (1346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is not a seasonal closing. It is for good. The owners are closing it due to the climbers impact on the land a wildlife population among other reasons. So get there before march if you desire to climb there.

dharmatreez

Feb 6, 2007, 4:27 PM
Post #10 of 14 (1341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chalker 7 - no access issues, most of the boulders lie in Rothrock State Forest and Rocky Ridge Natural Area, there is a small segment on private land, but it is an extreme end of the ridge and clearly marked, still hundreds of problems on public land, anyone interested can clearly see the boundaries on a public usage map from Rothrock State Forest Office (end of Frew Road)

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/...orests/rothrock.aspx

there was a typical PA secrecy clique trying to keep directions down (the same that did it for Rock Run in northcentral PA i believe), which is also on public land (Tiadaghton State Forest), but it didn't work, HA HA fuckers

sounds good, just PM if you want to make it up this way, and a heads up to you that i'll be at the Hermitage Cabin and Shaffer Rocks in April, would be great if you wanted to join our group for some climbing there too

jason

mushroomsamba

Feb 6, 2007, 10:35 PM
Post #11 of 14 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know your in my area, I'll take you to the buck road boulders about 15 min from my house. hows about this weekend if it's not 15 degrees out

chalker7

Feb 7, 2007, 12:53 AM
Post #12 of 14 (1306 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bizzarodrinker- thanks for the heads up

dharmatreez- Sounds awesome, but to be sure, are the two areas referred to as Hunters in the DB here the same place? Either way I'm headin up there for a weekend sometime in late spring or early summer, so I'll let you know about that, and definitely drop me a line when ur headin to the Hermitage, and I'll make sure I'm there to say hello and pull down.

Yeah the secrecy clique was kinda fucked up. I climbed at Rock Run while I was at college in Williamsport, but everyone I talked to was tellin me not to tell anyone how to get there. So I never did, but I also haven't been back since I moved south either, so I don't really care anymore.

Peace.
Colby.

dharmatreez

Feb 7, 2007, 1:29 AM
Post #13 of 14 (1295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chalker7 - yes Rocky Ridge Natural Area and Hunter's Rock are the "same" place in the database, kind of...

all the routes in the Hunter's database that are not in the Rocky Ridge Natural Area database are the ones on private land, if you look on the topo sketch i made for the Fortress area you will see a campfire drawn, everything to the left of this (not drawn - off page) is private and are most of the routes listed for Hunters. the clique wanted to continue to climb there illegally and therefore the reasoning (IMO) for keeping directions "secret". i started the other database to post directions and maps for the vast amount of public rock there, (there is really only a football field sized area of rock on private land), and open it up for everyone.

see ya when the weather breaks this spring

jason

chalker7

Feb 7, 2007, 2:23 AM
Post #14 of 14 (1280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks a lot, i'm sure i'm not the only one that appreciates your anti-secrecy efforts.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook