RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

gadkins1974

Dec 13, 2007, 4:36 PM
Post #1 of 22 (4044 views)
Shortcut

New and curious...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I did debate posting this into the Newbie forum, but opted here instead.

So here's the deal. I've just recently started climbing at my local rock gym (seriously... I've been going about a month) and am really getting into it. Living in Portland (OR), I'm also noticing that I'm getting a serious jones to learn about mountaineering, but I'm stuck.

My problem is, I'm not sure how feasible this is for me. My situation is that I'm 33 years old, type 2 diabetic (not terribly well-managed, but I get by), and -as stated before- I've just started climbing. Now, I know that a sincere desire will always help, but it's not going to be enough. I think my biggest hangup is my age. I've read lots of info at this site about climbing and diabetes (some of the info was incredible and really made me rethink how I see my diabetes), been reading about various gear pieces, and have also begun looking at the issue of technique.

I know I'll need to get my diabetes under control and will need to climb more, especially outside of the gym (unless Mt Hood is now climate-controlled with music pumped in and if it is.. bonus!). Again, however, my age is what makes me stop to wonder. I mention this because -god help me- the idea of someday being able to take on Everest is pretty damned inspiring. However, I'm pretty sure that dream's gonna have to just die gracefully, but maybe trying to summit Hood, Rainier, etc might be more doable.

Thoughts? Opinions? Advice from someone who's been in my place? Mostly I'm looking for real-world observation here moreso than advice like "what kind of screws should I get?" since the forum's pretty well covering that.

Thanks in advance and if I need to move this, let me know and it'll be done toot-sweet.

Partner angry

Dec 13, 2007, 4:54 PM
Post #2 of 22 (4027 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gadkins1974] New and curious... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I raced bikes with a guy who had type 1 diabetes. He was 40 and rocking his age class. In fact, he later went to cat 3 and still did well.

There were occassional times in the hotel room at different races where he'd practically have a siezure in his sleep and I'd stick a gu pack in his mouth and squeeze. It's amazing how well that worked.

He used an insulin pump and didn't suffer any ill effects during the race. His alergy to cottonwoods was his biggest problem.

Physically, you should be fine. I think your biggest concern will be circulation and keeping warm. Get extra warm mittens and boots and stay in shape. And for fucks sake, get your diabetes under control. It's type II dude, you can handle it.

gadkins1974

Dec 13, 2007, 5:14 PM
Post #3 of 22 (4002 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] New and curious... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
I raced bikes with a guy who had type 1 diabetes. He was 40 and rocking his age class. In fact, he later went to cat 3 and still did well.

There were occassional times in the hotel room at different races where he'd practically have a siezure in his sleep and I'd stick a gu pack in his mouth and squeeze. It's amazing how well that worked.

I've been reading a lot about these packs actually and do like what I'm seeing on them. As I build out my rack, I'll be adding these in. The reference to the guy in his 40's being Type I and doing well is encouraging to me.

angry wrote:
And for fucks sake, get your diabetes under control. It's type II dude, you can handle it.

This will be my biggest hurdle as I love to eat. I'm not grossly overweight, but I am just shy of 200 pounds on a 5'10 frame, so I've got some work ahead of me. I also need to adjust my lifestyle considerably, something that I hope climbing indoors will help with.

Thanks for your response and encouragement :)

anykineclimb

Dec 13, 2007, 5:16 PM
Post #4 of 22 (3999 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] New and curious... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Like Angry said, get you shit together 1st. Its your frackin health ya know?

don't be concerned about your age. you'll see WAY more older climbers in the mountains than in the gym/ crag.

Once you're healthy-er, check out Alpine Ascents International. They have lots of intro to alpine courses you can take.

jt512

Dec 13, 2007, 5:30 PM
Post #5 of 22 (3990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gadkins1974 wrote:
I did debate posting this into the Newbie forum, but opted here instead.

So here's the deal. I've just recently started climbing at my local rock gym (seriously... I've been going about a month) and am really getting into it. Living in Portland (OR), I'm also noticing that I'm getting a serious jones to learn about mountaineering, but I'm stuck.

My problem is, I'm not sure how feasible this is for me. My situation is that I'm 33 years old, type 2 diabetic (not terribly well-managed, but I get by), and -as stated before- I've just started climbing. Now, I know that a sincere desire will always help, but it's not going to be enough. I think my biggest hangup is my age. I've read lots of info at this site about climbing and diabetes (some of the info was incredible and really made me rethink how I see my diabetes), been reading about various gear pieces, and have also begun looking at the issue of technique.

I know I'll need to get my diabetes under control and will need to climb more, especially outside of the gym (unless Mt Hood is now climate-controlled with music pumped in and if it is.. bonus!). Again, however, my age is what makes me stop to wonder. I mention this because -god help me- the idea of someday being able to take on Everest is pretty damned inspiring. However, I'm pretty sure that dream's gonna have to just die gracefully, but maybe trying to summit Hood, Rainier, etc might be more doable.

Thoughts? Opinions? Advice from someone who's been in my place? Mostly I'm looking for real-world observation here moreso than advice like "what kind of screws should I get?" since the forum's pretty well covering that.

Thanks in advance and if I need to move this, let me know and it'll be done toot-sweet.

33? What's wrong with being 33? I'm 49, and am climbing the better than I ever have, and a lot better than most of the kids on this site.

Additionally, Type 2 diabetes is often reversible with diet and lifestyle changes. How's your weight and physical acitivity levels? If you're serious about climbing then the former will probably have to come down and the latter come up, and not so coincidentally, those same changes should improve your blood sugar control.

Jay

gadkins1974

Dec 13, 2007, 5:35 PM
Post #6 of 22 (3976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] New and curious... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

anykineclimb wrote:
don't be concerned about your age. you'll see WAY more older climbers in the mountains than in the gym/ crag.

I guess it's because I think those folks have probably been doing it for longer. I have a lot of very odd (translation: totally goddamn irrational) concerns regarding my age.

anykineclimb wrote:
Once you're healthy-er, check out Alpine Ascents International. They have lots of intro to alpine courses you can take.

Will check them out. Thanks for the info and the encouragement!

gadkins1974

Dec 13, 2007, 5:39 PM
Post #7 of 22 (3967 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] New and curious... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
33? What's wrong with being 33? I'm 49, and am climbing the better than I ever have, and a lot better than most of the kids on this site.

This is good to hear. When did you get started? I think that's why I have the hangup. I'm sure that climbing at 49 after starting at 33 is way different than climbing at 49 after starting at, say, 20? Although the more I climb, the more I realize that maybe this really isn't the case, unless it's something huge (Everest, etc).

jt512 wrote:
Additionally, Type 2 diabetes is often reversible with diet and lifestyle changes. How's your weight and physical acitivity levels? If you're serious about climbing then the former will probably have to come down and the latter come up, and not so coincidentally, those same changes should improve your blood sugar control.

My weight tends to fluctuate a bit. However, since I've been climbing indoors, it's started to come down a bit and I think I actually am burning off some of the fat and replacing it with real muscle. The first time I went climbing, my forearms were on the fire the next day. Now they just throb a bit, but it feels good in that "I'm doing something positive here" way. I'm trying to get myself into a better routine about going to the gym (and doing it smarter).

Thanks for your reply and it's good to hear your story, gives me some good hope for my cause.

shoo

Dec 13, 2007, 5:46 PM
Post #8 of 22 (3962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rock climbing really won't help much concerning your general fitness compared to the old standards (running, diet, etc.) Alpine climbing is maybe a different scenario, but isn't all that related to gym climbing. What rock climbing CAN do really well is motivate you to reach certain goals. Higher grades are generally more possible the more fit you are, so you can set goals like "I want to climb consistently at 5.whatever in the gym. Here's what I need to do to accomplish this goal. . ."

jt512

Dec 13, 2007, 5:52 PM
Post #9 of 22 (3957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gadkins1974 wrote:
jt512 wrote:

This is good to hear. When did you get started? I think that's why I have the hangup. I'm sure that climbing at 49 after starting at 33 is way different than climbing at 49 after starting at, say, 20? Although the more I climb, the more I realize that maybe this really isn't the case, unless it's something huge (Everest, etc).

I started climbing in my 20s, but didn't get serious about pushing myself into higher grades until my 30s. Starting in your 30s is fine, especially if your goals are more oriented toward mountaineering than technical rock climbing. Mountaineering mainly requires endurance fitness, and that peaks in your 40s. Having not started climbing in childhood, you may never climb 5.14, but mountaineering doesn't entail that.

Jay

gadkins1974

Dec 13, 2007, 5:56 PM
Post #10 of 22 (3953 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] New and curious... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
Rock climbing really won't help much concerning your general fitness compared to the old standards (running, diet, etc.) Alpine climbing is maybe a different scenario, but isn't all that related to gym climbing. What rock climbing CAN do really well is motivate you to reach certain goals. Higher grades are generally more possible the more fit you are, so you can set goals like "I want to climb consistently at 5.whatever in the gym. Here's what I need to do to accomplish this goal. . ."

My thought was that rock climbing would help out with technique and also give me a somewhat softer introduction to the goal of mountaineering and ice climbing (hadn't mentioned ice climbing in my op, sorry). I agree that the "old standbys" are the best way and I do try to do a walk on the treadmill before I climb so that I can get things working. However, I still have a long ways to go with respect to being consistent in my approach and in watching what I eat as I'm pretty sure wolfing down Taco Bell on a climb would be a bad idea. Plus I'm not sure how good a chili-cheese burrito would taste at 10,000 feet (I'm guessing nasty tho).

Thanks for the insight :)

gadkins1974

Dec 13, 2007, 5:59 PM
Post #11 of 22 (3947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
I started climbing in my 20s, but didn't get serious about pushing myself into higher grades until my 30s. Starting in your 30s is fine, especially if your goals are more oriented toward mountaineering than technical rock climbing. Mountaineering mainly requires endurance fitness, and that peaks in your 40s. Having not started climbing in childhood, you may never climb 5.14, but mountaineering doesn't entail that.

Excellent, thank you. It's good to know that I really haven't missed the curve here and makes me even more excited about finding a routine that will enable me to actually do this. As an aside, have you ever joined up with some of the groups out there? There's one called... I believe it's Mezzora's or somesuch? I've only briefly researched them, but have already forgotten the site. However, lots of employees at the gym mention them.

colatownkid

Dec 13, 2007, 6:06 PM
Post #12 of 22 (3940 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it's true... rock climbing can get certain parts of you in better shape if you're already in decent shape, but it's not going to work miracles. it'll help, but it's probably going to be the cardio that really starts to bring the weight down. (alpine climbing is a different beast altogether.) (of course, it is possible to do cardio-style climbing for endurance, and that can burn some calories like crazy.)

as stated above, as you get in better shape, your blood sugar should become easier to control. if you're really serious, dietary changes will probably benefit both your climbing and your diabetes.

there's no need to let your diabetes be an excuse either; one of my friends has type I and he climbs, hikes, boulders, lifts...pretty much whatever he wants. he's gotten himself in some sticky situations doing it, but he's never let his diabetes limit him. you don't have to either. i guess what i'm trying to say is that it is possible, so don't get discouraged. (and don't necessarily get discouraged about everest, either. it's good to have lofty goals sometimes. and there have been senior citizens who've made it up everest...why not you?)

age is relative. true, you will see more older climbers at the crags than in the gym, probably because they've been climbing since they were young. however, there are a few guys at my local gym in their thirties and they're doing just fine.

take your time with it and enjoy climbing. results might not be immediate, but don't give up. you'll get there. i think it's awesome when people challenge themselves and stick with it. if you want it, go for it. let us know how you do.

summerprophet

Dec 13, 2007, 6:11 PM
Post #13 of 22 (3933 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gadkins,
Managing your diabetes alone shoud be reason enough to watch what you eat and maintain a higher level of fitness than the rest of us.

Firstly, the better your diet and fitness level are, the less the diesease will have an impact on your life. I have met climbers with type two diabetes, with literally no health issues at all.

Secondly, if you do not responsibly handle your diesese, than you become more of a liability in the mountains. If my blood sugar drops in the mountains, I get grumpy, and weak, and would be a pian in the ass to climb with. If your drops, a potential rescue may result.

That being said, 33 is still pretty young in the mountaineering world. I know it does not feel like that surrounded by 12 year old gym climbers climbing 5.13's, but the mountains are full of us old coots, There is lots of room out here, and the view is fine.

granite_grrl

Dec 13, 2007, 6:19 PM
Post #14 of 22 (3920 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gadkins1974 wrote:
jt512 wrote:

My husband has a friend who only started climbing 4 or 5 years ago. He's currently in his late 40s. When I met him almost 2 years ago he was working on breaking into 5.12 sport. Don't worry about age.

chearlie

Dec 13, 2007, 7:13 PM
Post #15 of 22 (3890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just turned 34, have had Type 1 for more than half my life, climbing harder now than when I was 22.

Your diabetes and your age are at worst an excuse for you to limit yourself, at best just a little bit of a hassle.

Focus on controlling your diet, improve your cardio, and you'll feel better. Feeling better is incredibly enabling. I rarely focus on alpine/mountaineering goals (not that it's impossible) simply because it's a hassle to test blood sugar when it's cold (more a risk for me than type2). It's personal preference to me though, I have more fun at Lumpy Ridge than I would on the Diamond.

That said, there are many diabetics that do do it.........

http://www.mountain-mad.org

Like all things, there is a workaround for most every complication. Basically, use your "handicaps" as either an excuse to limit yourself or use it an additional source of motivation. I choose the second option more often than not. In the grand scheme of things, it's a pretty damn manageable disease so DO NOT let it become an excuse to not live your life.

climbsomething

Dec 14, 2007, 4:20 AM
Post #16 of 22 (3823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
I'm 49
Zing! Sly

Oh, and really, 33 is young.

curt

Dec 14, 2007, 5:09 AM
Post #17 of 22 (3793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] New and curious... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
jt512 wrote:
I'm 49
Zing! Sly

Yeah, I tend to regard Jay as a smart-assed younger brother--who doesn't climb quite as hard, of course. Cool

Curt

gadkins1974

Dec 15, 2007, 6:49 AM
Post #18 of 22 (3682 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chearlie] New and curious... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chearlie wrote:
I just turned 34, have had Type 1 for more than half my life, climbing harder now than when I was 22.

Your diabetes and your age are at worst an excuse for you to limit yourself, at best just a little bit of a hassle.

Focus on controlling your diet, improve your cardio, and you'll feel better. Feeling better is incredibly enabling. I rarely focus on alpine/mountaineering goals (not that it's impossible) simply because it's a hassle to test blood sugar when it's cold (more a risk for me than type2). It's personal preference to me though, I have more fun at Lumpy Ridge than I would on the Diamond.

That said, there are many diabetics that do do it.........

http://www.mountain-mad.org

Like all things, there is a workaround for most every complication. Basically, use your "handicaps" as either an excuse to limit yourself or use it an additional source of motivation. I choose the second option more often than not. In the grand scheme of things, it's a pretty damn manageable disease so DO NOT let it become an excuse to not live your life.

Thanks for this. Much like the other replies to my topic this is exceptional and gives me lots of hope. I'm going to start researching this a lot more and start talking to people and see if I can tag along at some stuff on Mt Hood. At the very least I can belay some and even go up a bit to retrieve gear (a good recommendation I saw for a beginning ice climber).

And you're right... my diabetes can be an excuse, or just one more reason to work harder on my goal... I believe I'm choosing the latter.

Thanks again to you and everyone for their advice. You all are great and I can't wait to start updating with stories of my adventures outside.

atomix1010

Dec 29, 2007, 1:50 AM
Post #19 of 22 (3427 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've always liked the idea of Everest. But be prepared to pay about 60,000 dollars if you're actully seroius about everest.

Howver shows like Everest: Beyond on the limit taint what Everest is IMo.

majid_sabet

Dec 29, 2007, 2:05 AM
Post #20 of 22 (3416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atomix1010] New and curious... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

atomix1010 wrote:
I've always liked the idea of Everest. But be prepared to pay about 60,000 dollars if you're actully seroius about everest.

Howver shows like Everest: Beyond on the limit taint what Everest is IMo.

Everest has two girls living right next to her. if you summit any of them then MAMA will accept you.

joeygallagher

Dec 29, 2007, 2:40 AM
Post #21 of 22 (3400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im not sure what the problem was, but I remember theres a guy who climbed Everest, and he had a very severe problem ( But i can't place my finger on what the problem was.)

And A blind guy climbed it as well.

There are also numerous climbers that climb smaller ascents that also bear diseases like diabetes and cancer.

The worlds yours man.

h-man

Dec 29, 2007, 4:48 AM
Post #22 of 22 (3368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think of age or Type II diabetes as disabilities. You might find that you will need to be more meticulous about your health and training. Anyways, meticulous climbers usually stay healthy and have a longer climbing pastime.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook