RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

zakadamsgt

Feb 18, 2008, 4:09 PM
Post #1 of 8 (798 views)
Shortcut

Hueco - guide or no guide?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK, first I'm going to be in El Paso for work in March, and I'm assuming that the weather at Hueco will still be good Wink

So how strict is bouldering out there? Do I need to register for a guide? Do "slots" get full on the weekend? I'm probably only looking at 1 - 1.5 days out there and will probably be a weekend. What should I do as far as reservations are concerned? The huecotanks webiste is not that great...
Thanks for the input!

Zak

mdlb21

Feb 18, 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #2 of 8 (759 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zakadamsgt] Hueco - guide or no guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are only going to be there a day I would spend my time on North Mt -- no guide needed. If you are going to be there on the weekend you will want to get reservations so you can get into the park. If you are going to be there more than one day I would start looking into a guide, but for a single day just do N Mt.

texasclimber

Feb 19, 2008, 11:36 PM
Post #3 of 8 (728 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mdlb21] Hueco - guide or no guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mdlb21 wrote:
If you are only going to be there a day I would spend my time on North Mt -- no guide needed. If you are going to be there on the weekend you will want to get reservations so you can get into the park. If you are going to be there more than one day I would start looking into a guide, but for a single day just do N Mt.

Agreed. I would reserve a slot ahead of time unless you plan on waking up EARLY to be in front at the gate come opening time.

dreday3000

Feb 20, 2008, 4:11 PM
Post #4 of 8 (689 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zakadamsgt] Hueco - guide or no guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

North Mountain is the only guide free mountain. There are 70 spots open each day. Chances are they will be full even during the week. Access is a big deal there.

If I was you, I would probably high a guide. you've got a few options there. You can high a private guide (they'll take you roped climbing if you're into it) which will probably run you around 150 for the day OR you can go on a bouldering tour. The bouldering tour will be in either East or West Mountain and they may be up to 9 other people on your tour. That said, teh guides are generally pretty good about making sure everyone is catered too.

Check out the hueco rock ranch for guiding info http://www.huecorockranch.com/

Have fun! Aside from the access BS hueco is absolutely freakin unbelievable!

contactclimbing

Feb 20, 2008, 4:47 PM
Post #5 of 8 (676 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dreday3000] Hueco - guide or no guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have never been to Hueco, North Mountain will suit you just fine. Don't worry about the other parts of the park until you have climbed the classics on North Mountain.

As far as reservations go, it is really pretty easy to make them, just call the park. We go to Hueco monthly, and ALWAYS have reservations. Have fun, it's worth the BS.

munky

Feb 20, 2008, 6:03 PM
Post #6 of 8 (647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With the amount of times you mispelled hire for high I would think you were high at work. Is somebody cheeching the sweet sheeba. :)

Jonesing for some climbing. The gym has become a drag. I'm barely getting in once a week. Maybe this weekend will good and we can get a day in at Old Rag, Coopers, Great Falls, somewhere.

(This post was edited by munky on Feb 20, 2008, 6:37 PM)

zakadamsgt

Feb 20, 2008, 6:50 PM
Post #7 of 8 (635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the input everyone!

As soon as I know the dates for my El Paso trip, I'm going to call the rock ranch and reserve a guide for that Saturday. How far out in advance do the guides fill up? I'll call to get more details. I'm thinking that since I'll be there only one day, I want to get the most out of the experience - so it sounds like a guide is the way to do it. Do they take groups out based on experience or what? I'd like to get on some classic V4-V7...
Looking forward to it...Wink

Zak

dreday3000

Feb 20, 2008, 8:13 PM
Post #8 of 8 (615 views)
Shortcut

Re: [munky] Hueco - guide or no guide? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL high = hire. I guess I was just remember the heuco days.

Sorry can't make it out this weekend, I'm gonna go sking.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook