RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

doz

Jun 19, 2008, 6:45 PM
Post #1 of 17 (9718 views)
Shortcut

twin lead lines?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone ever aid using twin lines? I happened across an article of a guy using twins. I have always used a stout single (typical setup). What would be the advantages/disadvantages. Self rescue and rope drag issues I understand what else am I missing, I have enough ropes to get a super cluster without the need of running twin belay lines as well.

Doz

tolman_paul

Jun 19, 2008, 10:34 PM
Post #2 of 17 (9680 views)
Shortcut

Re: [doz] twin lead lines? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like a setup from someone who does alot of contemplation of theoretical advantages, but hasn't spent alot of time applying them in the field.

As much as I prefer 1/2 ropes on multi pitch free climbs, I wouldn't even contemplate such a setup on a wall. Lead line, zip line, haul line is plent to contend with. Even soloing all I'd want would be a lead and haul line.

pmyche

Jun 19, 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #3 of 17 (9671 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by pmyche [In reply to]
Report this Post

doz

Jun 20, 2008, 4:17 AM
Post #4 of 17 (9650 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pmyche] twin lead lines? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pmyche wrote:
But think how you could reduce the rope drag while soloing.

?

if you got a rope drag problem while soloing you do have serious problemsCrazy

jeremy11

Jun 21, 2008, 12:40 AM
Post #5 of 17 (9598 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Desert Rock" mentioned a Jim Beyer FA in the Fischer Towers and said he used two 11mm ropes, solo.
It could provide an extra margin if the route has lots of knife-sharp edges or major rockfall. the only other possible advantage would be on very marginal aid using double 8.5s alternating clips, using screamers to reduce impact forces on the suspect pieces, but this would be a rare case where it would be worth the extra tangle.

stymingersfink

Jun 21, 2008, 2:30 PM
Post #6 of 17 (9568 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeremy11] twin lead lines? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jeremy11 wrote:
"Desert Rock" mentioned a Jim Beyer FA in the Fischer Towers and said he used two 11mm ropes, solo.
It could provide an extra margin if the route has lots of knife-sharp edges or major rockfall. the only other possible advantage would be on very marginal aid using double 8.5s alternating clips, using screamers to reduce impact forces on the suspect pieces, but this would be a rare case where it would be worth the extra tangle.
Doubtful using the double-cludterfuck would provide any advantage over the judicious use of screamers.

If fact, I would pretty much guarantee it.

lambone

Jul 2, 2008, 3:58 PM
Post #7 of 17 (9226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] twin lead lines? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I could see there being a place for it, especially if the pitch combines a lot of aid and free climbing and wanders around.

I can't quite wrap my head around how you'd clean the pitch though. Screw jugging on 1 8.5 or 9mil rope, and would you have to switch back and forth between ropes after traverses?

Another drawback is that you couldn't use the gri-gri to belay, and honestly I don't trust any of my partners enough to have them belay me for hours on a ATC type device...

I have heard of people starting the pitch on a dynamic haul line, doing a big traverse or pendulum, then switching back to the primary lead line. For example, Hollow Flake on Salathe and also read it on a trip report of Sunkist. This would allow you to protect the pitch low on the traverse or after the pendi without creating henious rope drag in the primary lead line. Of course the cleaner would need to be able to free the haul line from the pro before you can haul.

(This post was edited by lambone on Jul 2, 2008, 4:08 PM)

justinboening

Jul 2, 2008, 4:37 PM
Post #8 of 17 (9207 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lambone] twin lead lines? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Seriously, this is the last time I post on this site! The OP mentioned TWIN ropes and your responses have been in regards to half/double ropes. Now before you lambast me, look up the nomenclature!
Secondly, half ropes DO NOT have any inherent advantage over a single cord in regards to impact force. Sterling did testing on this very issue a year or two ago and the results are well documented on Will Gadd's blog. Quit pontificating. I'd love this site, or any site for that matter, to be a place of discussion, of shared ideas, but there can be no such hope.

lambone

Jul 2, 2008, 4:47 PM
Post #9 of 17 (9204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justinboening] twin lead lines? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The OP talks about Twins mitigating rope drag issues, so assumed he ment half ropes. That or he doesn't know what he's talking about either....Crazy

good ridance...btw, this site will be a better place with one less self-rightious know it all.

(This post was edited by lambone on Jul 2, 2008, 4:49 PM)

TheTeacher

Jul 2, 2008, 5:21 PM
Post #10 of 17 (9190 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lambone] twin lead lines? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lambone wrote:
good ridance...btw, this site will be a better place with one less self-rightious know it all.

Have you noticed that only 6-10 people post in the big wall section of RC.com? Many have moved to other forums. I enjoy "the more the marrier" philosophy.
I see little advantage to useing twin/half/double ropes over one dedicated lead line. As mentioned before the less C.F. the better.

stymingersfink

Jul 2, 2008, 6:11 PM
Post #11 of 17 (9175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TheTeacher] twin lead lines? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TheTeacher wrote:
lambone wrote:

Have you noticed that only 6-10 people post in the big wall section of RC.com? Many have moved to other forums. I enjoy "the more the marrier" philosophy.
I see little advantage to useing twin/half/double ropes over one dedicated lead line. As mentioned before the less C.F. the better.
Or maybe its because big-wallin's a little less en vogue for the noobs to aspire to get into lately.

acorneau

Jul 3, 2008, 3:08 PM
Post #12 of 17 (9153 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] twin lead lines? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
[Or maybe its because big-wallin's a little less en vogue for the noobs to aspire to get into lately.

While I'm not a nOOb, and I definitely have never done any big-walling, I read every post in this section.

I'm about as far away from any big walls as you can get (Houston) so there isn't much opportunity to get on any and no one I know has done any (that I know of), just plain ol' sport and trad.

I hope that some day I'll be able to make it out to the valley to take on one of those mammoth walls, but until then, keep posting up so I can leach off your experiences!
Smile

bob_54b

Jul 3, 2008, 3:41 PM
Post #13 of 17 (9147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Using twin 8.5mm lines is really excellent on water fall climbing where you most always need two ropes to rap off anyway and if you chop a line with the axe or crampon it, you still have a viable line to climb on.
it's a real fast rappel though, esp if the ropes are wet, so you need a prusix backup.

twin 8.5s are good on trad leads, esp alpine rock, where there is a lot of back and forth or pieces out of line that would create rope drag by clipping into just one line.

not hard to get used to belaying and using.

twin 10.5s or 11s would be a pain in the ass though, just from the weight you'd have to haul. esp with the 60m ropes. you'd have to have Godzilla's legs to get up. don't think the extra safety margin would be worth it with big ropes.

jeremy11

Jul 4, 2008, 5:13 PM
Post #14 of 17 (9104 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justinboening] twin lead lines? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justinboening wrote:
Secondly, half ropes DO NOT have any inherent advantage over a single cord in regards to impact force. Sterling did testing on this very issue a year or two ago and the results are well documented on Will Gadd's blog.

good info, here's the link:

http://gravsports.blogspot.com/search?q=sterling

dyomad

Jul 8, 2008, 10:41 PM
Post #15 of 17 (9012 views)
Shortcut

Re: twin lead lines? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't get why Beyer would use "twin" 11mm ropes for safety from edges. I can't imagine that the huge increase in the force you'd transmit to the top piece falling on two beefy ropes would be worth the "sharp edge" protection.

tolman_paul

Jul 10, 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #16 of 17 (8956 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dyomad] twin lead lines? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

From various things I've read about Beyer, I'd say he doesn't seem quite right in the head.

Lots of folks come up with interesting ways to use climbing equipment, doesn't mean one should adopt those methods.

irregularpanda

Jul 10, 2008, 11:28 PM
Post #17 of 17 (8951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] twin lead lines? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

acorneau wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:
[Or maybe its because big-wallin's a little less en vogue for the noobs to aspire to get into lately.

While I'm not a nOOb, and I definitely have never done any big-walling, I read every post in this section.

I'm about as far away from any big walls as you can get (Houston) so there isn't much opportunity to get on any and no one I know has done any (that I know of), just plain ol' sport and trad.

I hope that some day I'll be able to make it out to the valley to take on one of those mammoth walls, but until then, keep posting up so I can leach off your experiences!
Smile

Ditto that. I prefer to slowly accumulate my aid gear, until one day (or month) I decide o learn it.

Keep talking you old fogies, that sound you hear, that's just me biting your ideas.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook