Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

c-dub

Jul 6, 2008, 4:34 PM
Post #1 of 32 (4383 views)
Shortcut

I've heard of glueing, but this?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have heard of glueing holds, chipping pockets, or drilling holes, all of which are generally considered bad style here in the US. However, until recently I didn't think that someone would go so far as to create a boulder problem on bad rock by cementing over where he or she wanted the holds to be.

I live in Tahoe City, CA. There is quite a bit of rock available here to climb. I guess one could say there is a lack of bouldering opportunities. There is a soft volcanic cave down on the shore of the lake along a bike path. I'd passed by this cave several times last fall and thought that it looked like there could be some good problems under there, but the rock was way too flaky and soft. This summer I walked by there again and saw chalk on some holds. Turns out someone had spakled some cement on portions of the rock to create a line.

This is an unfortunate permanent change to a unique, interesting piece of geologic history. I wish people would think about the full impact of their actions before they do something like this.

salamanizer

Jul 6, 2008, 5:05 PM
Post #2 of 32 (4366 views)
Shortcut

Re: [c-dub] I've heard of glueing, but this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, thats weak.

Unfortunately there's not much you can do unless you catch he/she in the act.
I'm supprised to hear of that in the tahoe area, though not totally.

Had a similar problem here at the Vacaville boulders where I live. Someone was going around knocking off every hold that wiggled (you'd have to have climbed on the rock to know but alot of the holds that are loose on these rocks are really quite bomber) and they were writing arrows, grades, and needless graffiti in chalk all over the rock.
No way to tell who was doing it, so I left a little note where only a climber would see it stating my concerns. I asked that they please stop and the reasons why they should. The note stayed there for a few weeks and I could tell it had been thumbed through several times. Long story short, the problem has sense stopped. It was all I could do, but it worked.

anykineclimb

Jul 6, 2008, 6:33 PM
Post #3 of 32 (4299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

c-dub wrote:
This is an unfortunate permanent change to a unique, interesting piece of geologic history.
A hammer could fix that...Wink

(This post was edited by anykineclimb on Jul 6, 2008, 6:34 PM)

climbsomething

Jul 6, 2008, 9:26 PM
Post #4 of 32 (4196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What would you do if I told you that somewhere in your fair state, somebody used carriage bolts to keep a feature on the wall- and the route was pretty popular?

Would you shitz your pantz in rage?

c-dub

Jul 8, 2008, 4:07 PM
Post #5 of 32 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] I've heard of glueing, but this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It would depend on the area. I'm not judging all types of "enhancement" to the rock, or the people who may implement unnatural strategies to climb a route. All I am saying is that this act was unnecessary. The only reason a person would NEED to climb this boulder is laziness. There are many other boulder problems in the area that are natural. No need to destroy a neat piece of Tahoe's natural history.

edl

Jul 29, 2008, 5:55 PM
Post #6 of 32 (3606 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
What would you do if I told you that somewhere in your fair state, somebody used carriage bolts to keep a feature on the wall- and the route was pretty popular?

No, I would hunt you down and Captain Hook you for being an idiot. They are called GYMS. If movement and creating your own challenge are what you are all about, I imagine it would be hard to come up with a better venue.

dingus

Jul 29, 2008, 6:06 PM
Post #7 of 32 (3579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

c-dub wrote:
It would depend on the area. I'm not judging all types of "enhancement" to the rock, or the people who may implement unnatural strategies to climb a route. All I am saying is that this act was unnecessary. The only reason a person would NEED to climb this boulder is laziness. There are many other boulder problems in the area that are natural. No need to destroy a neat piece of Tahoe's natural history.

Tahoe has a fine and storied tradition of climbers using cement on lake-side rock.

DMT

kriso9tails

Jul 29, 2008, 6:06 PM
Post #8 of 32 (3579 views)
Shortcut

Re: [edl] I've heard of glueing, but this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edl wrote:
climbsomething wrote:

No, I would hunt you down and Captain Hook you for being an idiot. They are called GYMS. If movement and creating your own challenge are what you are all about, I imagine it would be hard to come up with a better venue.

I get the sense you haven't been climbing very long.

Not to say everyone isn't entitled to their opinion, but reinforcing existing holds to preserve a route is a practice that's been around for awhile. Long enough that I'd be surprised that anyone got all that emotional about it at this point regardless if they were for or against.

irregularpanda

Jul 29, 2008, 6:23 PM
Post #9 of 32 (3541 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] I've heard of glueing, but this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
c-dub wrote:

Tahoe has a fine and storied tradition of climbers using cement on lake-side rock.

DMT

Go on........... I'm familiar with Dan Osman glueing holds to a steep piece of rock in the woodfords, but that's not on tahoe....

edl

Jul 29, 2008, 6:42 PM
Post #10 of 32 (3522 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] I've heard of glueing, but this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:
edl wrote:
climbsomething wrote:

Not to say everyone isn't entitled to their opinion, but reinforcing existing holds to preserve a route is a practice that's been around for awhile. Long enough that I'd be surprised that anyone got all that emotional about it at this point regardless if they were for or against.

I know people do that, but I still don't think that makes it ok. I'm not all emotional, just joking around really. Seriously though, why do people need to go out and modify natural rock to cater to their needs when they could just go set some dank shit on the sick wall at their local shower house?

Also, before any of you "progressive" folk get all butt hurt, I helped run a gym (head course setter) for several years, so I know all about setting dank shit on the sick wall at the local shower house.

(This post was edited by edl on Jul 29, 2008, 6:48 PM)

Feller

Jul 29, 2008, 6:56 PM
Post #11 of 32 (3491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

imo, altering natural rock formations for your climbing purposes is rather un-cool. I know it's been stated already, but just because you can't finish a route, don't mean someone else can't. and if they can't, maybe that specific rock was just not meant to be climbed, there's millions more to chose from. I agree that gyms are the perfect venue for setting up custom made routes, not the outdoors.

kriso9tails

Jul 29, 2008, 7:38 PM
Post #12 of 32 (3448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edl wrote:
kriso9tails wrote:
edl wrote:
climbsomething wrote:

I know people do that, but I still don't think that makes it ok. I'm not all emotional, just joking around really. Seriously though, why do people need to go out and modify natural rock to cater to their needs when they could just go set some dank shit on the sick wall at their local shower house?

You're missing the point -- I'm not saying you're actually sitting in front of your computer, swelling with rage -- I'm saying that 'They are called GYMS' sort of argument is generally the territory of people that have been climbing for a handful of years or for crusty old farts that suffer under the delusion that they own the sport. Nothing wrong with that; it just seems to be the case more often than not.

I could care less if people are for or against reinforcing holds, but I'm not sure I get how adding a bolt or a bit of glue to prevent a hold from snapping off is any more severe than adding bolts to make a climb protectible.

I would say that it's done to preserve the route, not modify it, and also that it's no more interfering with the natural state of the rock than other acceptable climbing practices already do.

edl

Jul 29, 2008, 8:57 PM
Post #13 of 32 (3350 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:
You're missing the point -- I'm not saying you're actually sitting in front of your computer, swelling with rage -- I'm saying that 'They are called GYMS' sort of argument is generally the territory of people that have been climbing for a handful of years or for crusty old farts that suffer under the delusion that they own the sport. Nothing wrong with that; it just seems to be the case more often than not.

I could care less if people are for or against reinforcing holds, but I'm not sure I get how adding a bolt or a bit of glue to prevent a hold from snapping off is any more severe than adding bolts to make a climb protectible.

I would say that it's done to preserve the route, not modify it, and also that it's no more interfering with the natural state of the rock than other acceptable climbing practices already do.

Let me see if I can drop a bunch of subtle insults back your way and then look down my nose at my own hateful and humorless snobbery. Ridiculous.

Anyway, you do present a fairly good argument, but I would like to point out some things of my own. For one, no one owns the sport, and that includes you, me, and everyone else on this site. It also includes every sponsored climber, every crusty old traddy, every lycra clad ballerina, and every angst filled never was (let me know if I missed anyone here, I'm not trying to leave anyone out). As a result, we all need to think about our actions before we do them. Ask questions, explore, and do your best (we are after all only human) to make the right decisions. This can only happen when you have actually educated yourself about our sports history, and that means ALL of it. While for the most part a little glue here and a reinforcement bolt there means little to nothing in the grand scheme of things, we should still call it what it is, and that is entirely circumstantial. I'll let those who are local to the area decide if adding spakling to a roof to create an outdoor gym problem, or bolting on an enormnous loose block is a good idea. However, just please think before you act. Think long and hard and don't act untill that little voice inside your head tells you you are making the right decision. Unfortunately when it comes to chipping and glueing and everything else, it seems that such consideration is rarely the case. People in America think everything is just one big free for all, but its not. Every action we take will effect others, and those effects should be taken into account before we act. More than anything I think we should all learn to communicate with eachother a little better. If we did that, I imagine 90% of the B.S. like this would never become an issue. But wait a minute, this is RC.com, shit.

chossmonkey

Jul 29, 2008, 9:08 PM
Post #14 of 32 (3326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not reading that.^^^^

kriso9tails

Jul 29, 2008, 9:31 PM
Post #15 of 32 (3307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edl wrote:
kriso9tails wrote:

Let me see if I can drop a bunch of subtle insults back your way and then look down my nose at my own hateful and humorless snobbery. Ridiculous.

It's not hateful neither is it snobbery. You're a hypocrite that you want others to take your posts with humor yet are, yourself, being humorless.

When I started climbing I thought that the sport was a certain way, that there was an acceptable, long-standing and unalterable code of ethics. It's not true. In only fifteen years things have changed. I also realized that it was hypocritical of me to pull the ol' 'gym climber' line since that was the same line old farts used to trivialize climbing as it was when I was started. "Clipping bolts and worse, rap-bolting; if that's what you want then go back to the gym and leave the real rock to us."

You're right, no one owns the sport and you're wrong; everyone owns a piece of it. Everyone has to have an opinion on what climbing and climbing ethics are, but at the same time, no one person has the authority to universally define them. No matter how well people communicate, not everyone's needs wants will be met and there's always going to be an issue of egos and self-centredness. There are always going to be people that, for better or worse, go against the grain and the fact of the matter is, some of those people have gone towards redefining the sport to make it what it was when you started and what it is now.

Sometimes man conforms to the rock; sometimes man conforms the rock to him. It's been this way for ages.

Sometimes a man conforms to a given society/ culture; sometimes he conforms that society/ culture to him.

kriso9tails

Jul 29, 2008, 9:32 PM
Post #16 of 32 (3303 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] I've heard of glueing, but this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

...or that ^^^ (thought I'd save you time)

chossmonkey wrote:
I'm not reading that.^^^^

meahtots

Jul 29, 2008, 10:34 PM
Post #17 of 32 (3238 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

actually, I do own the sport...

edl

Jul 29, 2008, 11:27 PM
Post #18 of 32 (3202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:
It's not hateful neither is it snobbery. You're a hypocrite that you want others to take your posts with humor yet are, yourself, being humorless.

You did try to cut me down, but you took it back, thanks. You proved you are not an idiot asshole like so many others on this site. Also, please don't call me a hypocrite. That kind of language makes me so pissed. I wasn't being a hypocrite, I was pointing out how you were trying to be a clever prick. As I said though, thanks for taking that comment back, it really speaks well of you IMO, and I mean that.

"kriso9tails wrote:
You're right, no one owns the sport and you're wrong; everyone owns a piece of it. Everyone has to have an opinion on what climbing and climbing ethics are, but at the same time, no one person has the authority to universally define them. No matter how well people communicate, not everyone's needs wants will be met and there's always going to be an issue of egos and self-centredness. There are always going to be people that, for better or worse, go against the grain and the fact of the matter is, some of those people have gone towards redefining the sport to make it what it was when you started and what it is now.

Sometimes man conforms to the rock; sometimes man conforms the rock to him. It's been this way for ages.

Sometimes a man conforms to a given society/ culture; sometimes he conforms that society/ culture to him.

This was redundant. It seems as if we both have more or less the same perspective. I still contend that if people communicated a little better, most of this shit would go away. For example, I wonder how it would work out if the OP got in touch with said spakler and talked it over. I wonder what conclusions, considering they could handle themselves like adults, they would come up with. Maybe I'm just too idealistic, but I've been that way for long enough that I really don't see myself changing. There is plenty of rock to go around, as long as we don't sell it all off to developers or worse yet get ourselves banned from it by not thinking through our actions. You are right though, not everyone can always be happy, but I imagine we could do a better job than we are. If you can't tell, I like the last line I quoted from you, and the one before it as well. Anyway, this thread is off to the RC.com shredder, I'm sure. If you have anything more of value to add, now would probably be the time.

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111 1111111111111

(just thought I would join the club)

edited to fix quote, and again and again to appease sty.

(This post was edited by edl on Jul 30, 2008, 6:48 AM)

kriso9tails

Jul 29, 2008, 11:52 PM
Post #19 of 32 (3172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edl wrote:
kriso9tails wrote:

You did try to cut me down, but you took it back, thanks. You proved you are not an idiot asshole like so many others on this site. Also, please don't call me a hypocrite. That kind of language makes me so pissed. I wasn't being a hypocrite, I was pointing out how you were trying to be a clever prick. As I said though, thanks for taking that comment back, it really speaks well of you IMO, and I mean that.

i) I'm as much an asshole as anyone.

ii) I don't recall taking anything back. I don't recall saying anything worth taking back. Oh, I am mistaken there: I should have typed 'It's hypocritical' instead of 'You're a hypocrite' to be fair. I don't know you.

iii) How is it that when you post something it's clearly a joke, but when you read someone else's post you just naturally assume that they are humorlessly cutting you down? Why would you just assume the worst of a person like that? I'm just asking, 'cuase I don't get it.

leapinlizard

Jul 30, 2008, 12:31 AM
Post #20 of 32 (3146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] I've heard of glueing, but this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Go on........... I'm familiar with Dan Osman glueing holds to a steep piece of rock in the woodfords, but that's not on tahoe....

Correct me if I'm worng, but Dano didn't glue new holds, he just glued in holds that were already loose.

tripperjm

Jul 30, 2008, 1:08 AM
Post #21 of 32 (3131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:

Hehehe... Stir the pot, my little mistress.

Hummm, thinking to myself... I wonder if I have done the route?

Nobody wants to see drilled pockets, chiseled edges and glue slathered all over the place on good rock. A discret, clean, glued reinforcement of a hold is sometimes acceptable, depending on local ethics.

However, the rules change on choss. Cleaning the rock choss is not generaly considered chipping. Cleaning can be done with a cleaning tool, hammer, crowbar and a diesel back hoe, if you can get it to the base of the crag. Pinning a block or large flake so it doesn't fall off is generally considered OK. Glueing holds is allowed, try not to make a mess and paint it to match the choss, if it makes sence. Even on choss though, drilling pocket is often frowned upon, again depending on local ethics. Generally it is better to enhance clean a feature instead. If you do decide to drill a pocket, round the edge off, nothing worse that a creating tendon buster.

bender

Jul 30, 2008, 2:47 AM
Post #22 of 32 (3058 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tripperjm] I've heard of glueing, but this? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tripperjm wrote:
climbsomething wrote:

Hehehe... Stir the pot, my little mistress.

Hummm, thinking to myself... I wonder if I have done the route?

Nobody wants to see drilled pockets, chiseled edges and glue slathered all over the place on good rock. A discret, clean, glued reinforcement of a hold is sometimes acceptable, depending on local ethics.

However, the rules change on choss. Cleaning the rock choss is not generaly considered chipping. Cleaning can be done with a cleaning tool, hammer, crowbar and a diesel back hoe, if you can get it to the base of the crag. Pinning a block or large flake so it doesn't fall off is generally considered OK. Glueing holds is allowed, try not to make a mess and paint it to match the choss, if it makes sence. Even on choss though, drilling pocket is often frowned upon, again depending on local ethics. Generally it is better to enhance clean a feature instead. If you do decide to drill a pocket, round the edge off, nothing worse that a creating tendon buster.

thats all true,
but didnt he state that this was directly beside a bike trail in a park location?

its one thing to develop on piles to shattered to hold a bolt if your the only users of local, but it sounds like this work could only have taken place with lookouts making sure the coast was clear

developers shouldnt piss on things other well established user groups like to look at

glue looks like piss if you dont know what your doing

stymingersfink

Jul 30, 2008, 5:27 AM
Post #23 of 32 (2984 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edl wrote:
kriso9tails wrote:

"kriso9tails wrote:

This was redundant. It seems as if we both have more or less the same perspective. I still contend that if people communicated a little better, most of this shit would go away. For example, I wonder how it would work out if the OP got in touch with said spakler and talked it over. I wonder what conclusions, considering they could handle themselves like adults, they would come up with. Maybe I'm just too idealistic, but I've been that way for long enough that I really don't see myself changing. There is plenty of rock to go around, as long as we don't sell it all off to developers or worse yet get ourselves banned from it by not thinking through our actions. You are right though, not everyone can always be happy, but I imagine we could do a better job than we are. If you can't tell, I like the last line I quoted from you, and the one before it as well. Anyway, this thread is off to the RC.com shredder, I'm sure. If you have anything more of value to add, now would probably be the time.

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111

(just thought I would join the club)

edited to fix quote
since you edited to fix the quote, whaddaya say you go back and make the suggested line breaks so it quits fucking up the pagination?

thanks. in advance. fucktard

edl

Jul 30, 2008, 6:52 AM
Post #24 of 32 (2958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:

i) I'm as much an asshole as anyone.

ii) I don't recall taking anything back. I don't recall saying anything worth taking back. Oh, I am mistaken there: I should have typed 'It's hypocritical' instead of 'You're a hypocrite' to be fair. I don't know you.

iii) How is it that when you post something it's clearly a joke, but when you read someone else's post you just naturally assume that they are humorlessly cutting you down? Why would you just assume the worst of a person like that? I'm just asking, 'cuase I don't get it.

Teach me to give you the benefit of the doubt!

Also, I never claimed to be making jokes. I poked fun at climbsomething, but thats just too irresistible. Kind of like teasing the monkeys at the zoo. Yea yea, I'm a prick too. Now tell me, kriso9tails, did I get your goat? Thats what I was really after, afterall. DDDDUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111

stymingersfink

Jul 30, 2008, 7:20 AM
Post #25 of 32 (2948 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edl wrote:

edited to fix quote, and again and again to appease sty.
hey... that's much better on the pagination side of things at least.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook