Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sixleggedinsect

Jan 2, 2009, 1:48 AM
Post #1 of 46 (12951 views)
Shortcut

retentive indoor vs. outdoor belay question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

forgive me if this has been hashed out. i couldnt dig up a similar thread in the archives, but its probably there.

ive climbed thousands of pitches outside, caught people in surprise falls with one hand in my backpack, belayed high-maintenance sporties on their projects. and i think a lot about safety. im convinced the way i belay is truly safe, for what its worth. and honestly its nothing special.

but i know that its a far cry from the gym-style thing i see at most plastic joints. ill readily (maybe even with a touch of pride) admit that ive only got ten gym days under my belt in as many years, but i clearly remember failing a TR belay test once, and the specific technique they were recommending.

so, it looks like im going back to the gym soon. i can pass the test, i remember that magical gym technique just fine (even though i only use it for the belay test). im just curious how on earth the gym folk feel their method is safer?

the standard tube-device gym belay: starting from a locked off position, and im right handed. say i have my left hand on the rope to the climber, my right hand locked off below the device and low. i pull in slack, and then- the squirmy bit:

i bring my right lock hand up to the high left hand. my left hand grabs both ropes, allowing me to slide my right hand down the rope. then i lock off low again, right the right.

but frankly, this strikes me as ridiculous.

if the climber falls when i am in that transition period, where the two ropes are parallel and high, there is precious little friction in the device. obviously, this shoudlnt matter with a grigri, with a light climber, with a hefty belayer with gloves, with many toprope situations in fact, but why expose the system to this vulnerable moment at all? if the gyms insist on this inane static-transition thing to adjust the hands after pulling in slack, why not do it lower in a higher-friction position?

so ill keep passing belay tests, and ill keep belaying the way i belay, and ill keep catching falls. but anyone have some insider info? the meaning of all this?

jt512

Jan 2, 2009, 2:30 AM
Post #2 of 46 (12932 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sixleggedinsect] retentive indoor vs. outdoor belay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sixleggedinsect wrote:
forgive me if this has been hashed out. i couldnt dig up a similar thread in the archives, but its probably there.

ive climbed thousands of pitches outside, caught people in surprise falls with one hand in my backpack, belayed high-maintenance sporties on their projects. and i think a lot about safety. im convinced the way i belay is truly safe, for what its worth. and honestly its nothing special.

but i know that its a far cry from the gym-style thing i see at most plastic joints. ill readily (maybe even with a touch of pride) admit that ive only got ten gym days under my belt in as many years, but i clearly remember failing a TR belay test once, and the specific technique they were recommending.

so, it looks like im going back to the gym soon. i can pass the test, i remember that magical gym technique just fine (even though i only use it for the belay test). im just curious how on earth the gym folk feel their method is safer?

the standard tube-device gym belay: starting from a locked off position, and im right handed. say i have my left hand on the rope to the climber, my right hand locked off below the device and low. i pull in slack, and then- the squirmy bit:

i bring my right lock hand up to the high left hand. my left hand grabs both ropes, allowing me to slide my right hand down the rope. then i lock off low again, right the right.

but frankly, this strikes me as ridiculous.

if the climber falls when i am in that transition period, where the two ropes are parallel and high, there is precious little friction in the device. obviously, this shoudlnt matter with a grigri, with a light climber, with a hefty belayer with gloves, with many toprope situations in fact, but why expose the system to this vulnerable moment at all? if the gyms insist on this inane static-transition thing to adjust the hands after pulling in slack, why not do it lower in a higher-friction position?

so ill keep passing belay tests, and ill keep belaying the way i belay, and ill keep catching falls. but anyone have some insider info? the meaning of all this?

Sounds like the way me and hundreds of thousands of American climbers have been belaying since, literally, before the invention of the belay device, except we don't start from the lock-off position. IMO, the rope should only be locked off if the climber falls.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jan 2, 2009, 2:32 AM)

rockforlife

Jan 2, 2009, 2:42 AM
Post #3 of 46 (12926 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you are right, I don't think its a gym thing as the gyms i have been to teach the right way "yours",

And jay i know you are an experianced climber, but i think a climber should be locked off as much of the time as you can (with out short ropping them), keeping the rope above the belay just does not make sense, i know if you pay attention it should not matter. SO i guess its just personal Crazy

jt512

Jan 2, 2009, 2:51 AM
Post #4 of 46 (12916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockforlife] retentive indoor vs. outdoor belay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockforlife wrote:
you are right, I don't think its a gym thing as the gyms i have been to teach the right way "yours",

And jay i know you are an experianced climber, but i think a climber should be locked off as much of the time as you can (with out short ropping them), keeping the rope above the belay just does not make sense, i know if you pay attention it should not matter. SO i guess its just personal Crazy

The problem with keeping the rope locked off is that . . . well . . . it's locked off. You can't easily adjust the amount of rope out, and you give a static belay by default. Instead, if you keep the brake side of the rope in a neutral position—say 90 degrees from the climber's rope—you can easily make adjustments and the belay is dynamic by default.

Jay

billl7

Jan 2, 2009, 2:51 AM
Post #5 of 46 (12915 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If I understand correctly, the gym method you describe is sometimes called the pinch-and-slide method. Our gym allows this for tube-style belay devices but does not require it.

In 2004 (and earlier), the local climbing club taught the pinch-and-slide method. About a year later this was deemed by the club leaders to not be a "best practice" and the club moved to something closer to what you prefer. This change was driven by an out-of-doors accident where a new belayer got confused during the 'pinch' phase about which hand was the break hand ... just when the out-of-sight climber fell: rope burns and broken bones.

That said, during the time that I exclusively used the pinch-and-slide method I got pretty darn quick with it: But it was more like this:

* jerk the break hand up so the loose rope-end whips towards the other higher hand;
* the higher hand catches the rope between thumb and index finger;
* the break hand - as a kind of follow through to the jerking action that started the whole thing - slides down towards the belay device and then returns to break position; in other words, the break hand quickly makes a motion in a kind of circle (sort of).

All of the above took a fraction of a second (1/2 second?).

If you are carefully watching your gym climber, that fraction of a second won't lead to a dropped climber. If they do fall at that moment then you should be back at the locked-off position in time to make the catch.

Bill L

Edit: If you are belaying Jay then, above, replace break position with 90 degree position.

(This post was edited by billl7 on Jan 2, 2009, 2:55 AM)

sixleggedinsect

Jan 2, 2009, 3:20 AM
Post #6 of 46 (12897 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockforlife] retentive indoor vs. outdoor belay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockforlife wrote:

not sure i follow, here. i didnt actually say what i do- i left it to the collective imagination (although its really pretty straightforward: i generally shuffle my hands back and forth without ever holding both ropes in one hand, although it changes dramatically depending on what kind of climb im belaying.)

are you saying gyms no longer use the 'pinch' technique (another poster's words) or that they no longer *all* use the pinch technique, or are you saying that gyms are teaching other types of (no low-friction transition) belay techniques?

jt512, id agree with the 'little time spent in lock-off position' for belaying sport and projects and when folks are cruising, but most of my climbing isnt that kind of stuff. my default is (semi)locked, and if things get spicy i pay more attention and give softer catches.

coolcat83

Jan 2, 2009, 3:31 AM
Post #7 of 46 (12889 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i rarely use the pinch and slide, usually in the gym i pull in slack, immediately bring my hand down to brake position near my device, then use my other hand to pull the slack through my brake hand. that way i'm mostly locked off and never have to change my grip on the brake hand. never had a problem giving slack, feeding rope ect.

MikeSaint

Jan 2, 2009, 3:53 AM
Post #8 of 46 (12875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To the OP:

The method you described providing I'm reading you correctly has become industry standard (indoors). So long as we are on the same page: the method described should be minimizing time spent outside the braking plane as applied to tube style belay devices. The brake hand is typically palms down. The BUS method is understood as: Brake, Under, Slide. Nothing on google to provide demonstration of- to see if that is what your gym is requiring. House Rules I suppose?

Slightly off topic:

I notice many folks using the pinky hook and slide method for belaying. This is a familiar belay method while not unsafe- its not exactly efficient for tube style devices. Inadvertant spray: I had an interesting conversation with some folks from the AMGA who were discussing how tube style devices have been grossly super imposed with concepts from the munter hitch. Before you tell me to eat shit reread what I've written.

Flame/ Argue Away. Wink

(This post was edited by MikeSaint on Jan 2, 2009, 4:09 AM)

king_rat

Jan 2, 2009, 12:45 PM
Post #9 of 46 (12819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sixleggedinsect wrote:

I agree I think the belay system you describe in my view is both un necessary and potently unsafe. I think that either have the rope locked of most of the time or a highbred system with the rope held at 90 degrees so that you are ready to lock of or feed slack as required are better systems.

I think often gyms adopt a system which they view as safe. Sometimes(not always) gym staff lack the knowledge to be able to judge the merits of other belay systems and it is easier for gym owners to simply ensure that their staff are familiar with one system which they can then enforce.
One point I would make is that I adjust my belaying system depending on where and what I am climbing. I climb a lot of long multi pitch, fairly easy (5.10 and below) trad routes, where the leader is often both out of sight and out of hearing range, and the first warning of a fall you get is when the rope is whipping tight. In a situation like this I prefer to have the rope locked off at all times. On sports climbs or in gyms where I can see my partner and anticipate what they need I want to be able to give a more dynamic belay and therefore opt for holding the rope at 90 degrees, but still prefer to shuffle my hands along the rope rather then bringing them together.

(This post was edited by king_rat on Jan 2, 2009, 1:20 PM)

mlcrisis

Jan 2, 2009, 1:39 PM
Post #10 of 46 (12799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats on the first Troll of the year!

You are all going to die.

gunkiemike

Jan 2, 2009, 1:50 PM
Post #11 of 46 (12793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] retentive indoor vs. outdoor belay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Sounds like the way me and hundreds of thousands of American climbers have been belaying since, literally, before the invention of the belay device, except we don't start from the lock-off position. IMO, the rope should only be locked off if the climber falls.

Jay

Jay, I know you don't need the history lesson, but for others... That's precisely the origin of the pull-pinch-slide belay, the sitting hip belay (Munter off the harness as well). Where the usual catch position is with both ropes in front of you. The "pull rope to the side/back" catch came with the advent of belay devices.

Clearly, experienced climbers can be effective with a variety of belay techniques ("foot belay" anyone?). Gyms, however, need to teach newbies an easy-to-use technique that is good enough to get the job done. I don't disagree with the default 90 degree position of the brake strand, but I don't think the average gymnewb can properly feather the tension on the brake side in the event of a surprise fall.

billl7

Jan 2, 2009, 3:41 PM
Post #12 of 46 (12773 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] retentive indoor vs. outdoor belay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
That's precisely the origin of the pull-pinch-slide belay, the sitting hip belay (Munter off the harness as well). Where the usual catch position is with both ropes in front of you.

In a loose sense of the words, yes, both ropes are in front for the hip belay. But the sitting hip belay's maximum brake position has the brake arm locked straight and crossing the line going to the load. So the wrap of the rope around the body is as near to 360 degrees as practical. (Edit to add ...) And the locked-open elbow engaged the torso in the braking forces.

I am curious, though, how much this was maintained by an expert in practice. Anyone? I can imagine many discussions (arguments?) in the alpine way back when about whether or not it was dangerous to have something other than this for an 'at rest' position.

Bill L

(This post was edited by billl7 on Jan 2, 2009, 3:47 PM)

rockforlife

Jan 2, 2009, 3:53 PM
Post #13 of 46 (12759 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
The problem with keeping the rope locked off is that . . . well . . . it's locked off. You can't easily adjust the amount of rope out, and you give a static belay by default. Instead, if you keep the brake side of the rope in a neutral position—say 90 degrees from the climber's rope—you can easily make adjustments and the belay is dynamic by default.

Jay

OK This makes more sense that what i was thinking. If you kept it at "the" neutral position, you would be able to lock of very easly, and continue to belay. I have seen in the past where climbers will keep it far above the belay and never come down to a locked off or neutral position. With an experianced belayer this might not be a problem, but with the noobs i have seen lots of pinched hands.Pirate

rockforlife

Jan 2, 2009, 5:27 PM
Post #14 of 46 (12707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry my bad, i was just saying that the gyms i have been to (with the exeption of one along time ago) do not teach the "pinch and slide", and was gussing that you belayed keeping your hand below the belay. like you have described here.

gunkiemike

Jan 2, 2009, 5:44 PM
Post #15 of 46 (12694 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] retentive indoor vs. outdoor belay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Biil7, I basically learned to rock climb by sitting at the top of a cliff giving my partner a hip belay. I caught countless unannounced falls that way and never once needed to - or in fact had time to - bend the rope across in front of me. Just pretty much pressed it down over the brake side thigh.

jt512

Jan 2, 2009, 6:09 PM
Post #16 of 46 (12675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
Biil7, I basically learned to rock climb by sitting at the top of a cliff giving my partner a hip belay. I caught countless unannounced falls that way and never once needed to - or in fact had time to - bend the rope across in front of me. Just pretty much pressed it down over the brake side thigh.

I've never heard the straight-arm thing that Bill is talking about, but to hold a high-fall-factor fall, bringing the rope as far as possible around the front of the body is crucial.

Jay

(This post was edited by jt512 on Jan 2, 2009, 6:44 PM)

billl7

Jan 2, 2009, 6:41 PM
Post #17 of 46 (12663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike,

I can see that working for a top-rope fall. There are a few on RC.com who have caught high-factor lead falls with a hip belay. Perhaps they will also chime in.

I don't have any experience catching falls of any magnitude with a hip belay - at least that I recall. I do recall focusing on stance, being tied into the anchor myself, thinking about the break arm being straight and across the chest for maximum braking ... but my experience was with all belays from above.

Bill L

billl7

Jan 2, 2009, 7:04 PM
Post #18 of 46 (12650 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
I've never heard the straight-arm thing that Bill is talking about, but to hold a high-fall-factor fall, bringing the rope as far as possible around the front of the body is crucial.
If you have it handy, you could check the current edition of Freedom of the Hills - not that what it sez is the end all of the discussion.

Bill

shockabuku

Jan 2, 2009, 10:50 PM
Post #19 of 46 (12612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pretend you're 15. Take the test their way, then belay however the heck you want.

sixleggedinsect

Jan 2, 2009, 10:57 PM
Post #20 of 46 (12605 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billl7] retentive indoor vs. outdoor belay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billl7 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
If you have it handy, you could check the current edition of Freedom of the Hills - not that what it sez is the end all of the discussion.

Bill

i did, actually. the 6th edition (my latest) has no discussion of how to use a tuber. it does have a lot of info on body belaying, and does in fact use the gym-style pinch technique. this sounds like a tempting explanation of the roots of this thing, but i still wonder. how could anyone think you use those two 'devices' in the same way?

anyways, id really be psyched for words from gym managers, climbing lawyers, old school gym founders, and other folks who might have some background info on why the pinch thing is the gym belay of choice. yes, i know its largely academic and y'all don't give a hoot. im also delighted nobody has flamed me (that i could decipher) for my dangerous and flawed belay style;)

rockandlice

Jan 3, 2009, 12:21 AM
Post #21 of 46 (12574 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was honestly caught off guard by 'new' methods used in all of my local gyms recently. After a long hiatus away from climbing, I came back just 6 months ago or so doing some TR with my wife at some local rarely visited rock. Once hitting the gym for the first time with her this fall, I soon realized the way I was always taught, and the way I taught her, was quite different from what the gym expected.

I was always taught both palms up (learned in the late '80's). Let hand (I'm right handed btw) on the end going to the climber to control the feed and take, and right hand on the brake. Using an cupped but open left pinky to hold and guide the brake and feed parallel and ensuring no danger hanging the brake line during a fall. If a belayer is properly attentive, he/she should be able to lock in a split second. This made feeds and takes most controlled and smooth to me. This double palms down constant lock actually makes me feel less secure and in control. I know it sounds silly, but it just doesn't feel right.

Is my previously learned method now considered archaic and dangerous? It seems to me that you hear about ground falls, serious injury and death much more often now. I suppose this is likely just directly proportional to the amount of people climbing these days versus then.... not that it wasn't already getting crowded at crags like NRG during those years.

Brush me up here folks! Smile

jt512

Jan 3, 2009, 12:28 AM
Post #22 of 46 (12571 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockandlice] retentive indoor vs. outdoor belay question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rockandlice wrote:
I was always taught both palms up (learned in the late '80's). Let hand (I'm right handed btw) on the end going to the climber to control the feed and take, and right hand on the brake. Using an cupped but open left pinky to hold and guide the brake and feed parallel and ensuring no danger hanging the brake line during a fall. If a belayer is properly attentive, he/she should be able to lock in a split second. This made feeds and takes most controlled and smooth to me. This double palms down constant lock actually makes me feel less secure and in control. I know it sounds silly, but it just doesn't feel right.

Is my previously learned method now considered archaic and dangerous?

Only by n00bs.

In reply to:
It seems to me that you hear about ground falls, serious injury and death much more often now. I suppose this is likely just directly proportional to the amount of people climbing these days versus then.... not that it wasn't already getting crowded at crags like NRG during those years.

I can't prove it but I think that the accident rate is higher now than it was in the pre-gym era. I suspect that part of the reason is how poorly trained in belaying most gym climbers are. How much time did you spend learning to belay when you started climbing?

Jay

billl7

Jan 3, 2009, 1:09 AM
Post #23 of 46 (12557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sixleggedinsect wrote:
billl7 wrote:
jt512 wrote:
i did, actually. the 6th edition (my latest) has no discussion of how to use a tuber.
Yes, I was off-topic in that what you quoted was not about tube style devices. That well could be your point. Blush But if not ...

The the 5th edition has a section on the "hip wrap". The 6th edition probably does too. Perhaps to close the loop about the straight arm, here is an excerpt: "To catch a fall with the hip wrap, your elbow must be straight before you begin to grip hard so that bone and not muscle resists the pull of the rope." It goes on to discuss the problem of dealing with the brake hand being pulled back to the hip. With the hip belay, the straight arm was part of the method (1978). Edit to add: I mean it was part of the method that I was taught.

Bill L

(This post was edited by billl7 on Jan 3, 2009, 1:17 AM)

rockandlice

Jan 3, 2009, 1:31 AM
Post #24 of 46 (12546 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
I can't prove it but I think that the accident rate is higher now than it was in the pre-gym era. I suspect that part of the reason is how poorly trained in belaying most gym climbers are. How much time did you spend learning to belay when you started climbing?

Jay

I was fairly young, so I don't remember exactly how much time was invested initially while being supervised. I do however remember the fear of god being instilled in me by "Fireman Dan". He was the safety guru guy for our local parks and rec. He wasn't much of a climber (got his kicks on boring rack rappels off the NRG bridge), but he knew his shit inside and out when it came to safety and anchors. Taught me most of what I know in regards to belay station anchoring, equalizing, etc. At that time, the method I've used up to now was also the norma at the local climbing gym, and a few I visited in places such as Lander, WY, Jackson, WY. blah blah blah.

I too am not big on gym climbing either though. To me it's like trying to reach a terrible itch mid back. You reach like hell to scratch, but only seem to end up teasing yourself. A syndrome my buddies and I refer to as "blue walls". Wink

(This post was edited by rockandlice on Jan 3, 2009, 1:31 AM)

clausti

Jan 3, 2009, 11:18 PM
Post #25 of 46 (12461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a problem with "pinch and slide" method being taught in gyms for a couple of reasons. (neither of which are really problems with the method.)

1. sometimes they don't distinguish between palm up and palm down. by this i mean than when you do eventually bring the brake side of the rope into a locked off position (to lower or to catch a fall), if your palm is UP, i personally don't think that's very safe and try and avoid belayers who do this. because while you grip might be acceptably strong when all you're doing is locking off a toprope in a gym and lowering them in a controlled fashion to the ground, it is shiteous to try and teach someone to lead belay who has been taught to gym belay palm up.

2. for someone who is unclear on the physics of their belay device, it is quite easy to slip into taking ALL of the responsibility for the brake side of the rope onto your left (climber side/above the device) hand while you "slide." and then what happens when your climber falls? rope burns and possibly a dropped climber. because there is precious little friction in the device at that time, as the OP pointed out. this is really more of a problem in the way gyms teach people to belay than an inherent problem with pinch and slide. if you aggressively correct the habit when someone is learning, they won't do this and they will understand why. the gym i go to, though, i see lots of people doing this, and it bugs the crap out of me that the staff don't correct it.*
*addendum to point #2: also, i think pinch and slide lends itself to people grabbing with their left hand below their right hand when they go for the pinch. this introduces an obligate brake-hand-off-the-rope scenerio while the belayer tries to take in slack by sliding their right hand down. gotta skip that left hand somehow. like is said, this is not really a problem with the method, but it is a really easy mistake to make, especially when people are learning, and lends itself to bad habits which gym staff don't do enough to correct, because it is advantageous to the staff for the most amount of people to be certified to belay, since that lessens their work.

i learned a very similar way, but with the left pinky hooking the brake side just enough to slide my hand, when i first learned to belay. i think this is better because it's basically impossible to take the whole weight of the rope on your pinky, so you remember to keep your brake hand on. (this is palm DOWN, always).

nowadays if i'm top rope belaying i use a gri gri, and the two sides of the rope never touch. when i'm lead belaying, i use an atc, and i pull slack with one hand on each side of the device, then bring my left hand below my right hand, which is below the device, to take in the slack, and thus the two sides of the rope don't touch there, either.

you can always give a dynamic belay with an atc, Jay. because (as you well know), unlike autolocking devices, there are various degrees of "locked off," and just because your hand is in the locked position doesn't mean you are locked, depending on the amount of slack between your hand and the device. i always hang out in the locked position, since my primary partner outweighs me by nearly 60 lbs, and most people by 30 or 40.

(This post was edited by clausti on Jan 3, 2009, 11:23 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook