RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

tangboy

Oct 30, 2001, 4:54 PM
Post #1 of 9 (2373 views)
Shortcut

crash pads and spotters...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ok... time to blow some more steam just because there is a crash pad doesn't mean that i dont need a spotter! dangit i hate my spotters! they see that i am working an overhang with a crashpad underneath me, i go for a move and bam i nail the pad 4 feet below me. did i want a spotter to keep my head from hitting the ground? YES... needless to say i kicked his butt! i am never climbing with him again! anyone have anytying to say about that or have similar instances with people thinking that just because there is a crashpad that they do'nt need to spot? i climb with morons

ratstar

Oct 30, 2001, 5:34 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2373 views)
Shortcut

crash pads and spotters... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

so find new partners. its as easy as that you can even find them on this site.

tangboy

Oct 30, 2001, 10:10 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you calling me a pussy? fine.. i really don't care. i just get ticked when someone says... "sure i'll spot you today" and then they don't because they think the pad will be enough. just speaking my mind!
tang

Partner pianomahnn

Oct 30, 2001, 10:31 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dscrow, stop instigating confrontation. It's petty and downright childish.

A crash pad is to cushion the fall. A spotter is there to make sure you hit the crashpad correctly.

You need both. Not one or the other.

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 30, 2001, 11:43 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Spotters are more improtant than Crash Pads. But both make the best combination.

rrrADAM

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 30, 2001, 11:44 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Spotters are more important than Crash Pads, but both make the best combination.

rrrADAM

laplaya

Oct 31, 2001, 2:27 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a post that I made a while back might be able to be answered by some of you....Posted: 2001-10-13 10:28
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I really fail to see the benefit of a crash pad, unless you have pads to cover the entire boldering area. the pads that I have seen for sale are smaller then a square meter. if you were to move around the rock at all, you would need someone to move the pad for you...that person could just as easily spot you, since it would be just as time binding as moving the pad. that is my opinion, and if someone wants to explain the benifiit of a pad, I am all ears." It seems to me that in your instance, a pad has made your spoter lazy and therefore done you more harm then good.

laplaya

Oct 31, 2001, 2:27 AM
Post #8 of 9 (2373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

a post that I made a while back might be able to be answered by some of you....Posted: 2001-10-13 10:28
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I really fail to see the benefit of a crash pad, unless you have pads to cover the entire boldering area. the pads that I have seen for sale are smaller then a square meter. if you were to move around the rock at all, you would need someone to move the pad for you...that person could just as easily spot you, since it would be just as time binding as moving the pad. that is my opinion, and if someone wants to explain the benifiit of a pad, I am all ears." It seems to me that in your instance, a pad has made your spoter lazy and therefore done you more harm then good.

tangboy

Oct 31, 2001, 5:08 AM
Post #9 of 9 (2373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

laplaya,
yes i do see your point, i do prefer a spotter because they can keep you from falling on your head when you are doing a high heel hook or a mad high dyno whereas the pad will just kinda soften the blow but you can still get hurt. i do'nt traverse too much, i just use the pad mainly on highballers or roofs! spotter is great for traverse though. i do like to spot for those ladies out there too, catching them in a basket

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook