Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jackkelly00

Nov 5, 2009, 1:42 PM
Post #1 of 46 (12324 views)
Shortcut

Top Lining help
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Hi guys. I haave a question about top-lining. I have been climbing for a couple weeks now and am getting ready to go outside. I have been in the gym and think I am ready to take the next step. How do i set up a topline? What kind of line should i buy and crabs? My friend told me I should just wrap the rope around a tree (or rock, even though this sounds a little fishy). How does it work? should i attach myself to the rope with a single crab? Also, how do i get my rope back? I was thinking about buying some camming units and starting traditional climbing... how does this work? Im confused...

socalclimber

Nov 5, 2009, 1:48 PM
Post #2 of 46 (12317 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jackkelly00] Top Lining help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Either this is a troll, or you need to hire a guide or find someone who knows what they are doing to go with.

I suspect you asking about top roping...Tongue

lostlazy

Nov 5, 2009, 2:00 PM
Post #3 of 46 (12309 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jackkelly00 wrote:
Hi guys. I haave a question about top-lining. I have been climbing for a couple weeks now and am getting ready to go outside. I have been in the gym and think I am ready to take the next step. How do i set up a topline? What kind of line should i buy and crabs? My friend told me I should just wrap the rope around a tree (or rock, even though this sounds a little fishy). How does it work? should i attach myself to the rope with a single crab? Also, how do i get my rope back? I was thinking about buying some camming units and starting traditional climbing... how does this work? Im confused...

Hang tight, shortly you will have all the answers you need.

By the way, You're gonna die.

kennoyce

Nov 5, 2009, 3:03 PM
Post #4 of 46 (12287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As others before me have said, YOU'RE GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean seriously, if you don't even know what top roping is called, I can assure you that you are not ready to be doing it.

You need to find someone who is much, much, much, much more experienced than you and have them take you out and show you what's up, or you need to hire a guide.

Did I mention that you're going to die?

blueeyedclimber

Nov 5, 2009, 3:03 PM
Post #5 of 46 (12287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jackkelly00 wrote:

This actually brings up a very good point. When using crabs to attach your line, How many is enough? Can you ever have too many crabs? What type of crabs should you use? Can we ever substitute a lobster?

All good questions. Your thoughts?

JoshTongue

CrazyPetie

Nov 5, 2009, 3:19 PM
Post #6 of 46 (12269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You need at LEAST two crabs to top-line. Use the first crab to get to the top, then you use the second crab to get down. IMO you can never have too many crabs.

jcrew

Nov 5, 2009, 4:06 PM
Post #7 of 46 (12247 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CrazyPetie] Top Lining help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

CrazyPetie wrote:
You need at LEAST two crabs to top-line. Use the first crab to get to the top, then you use the second crab to get down. IMO you can never have too many crabs.

everybody knows that lobsters are NOT for climbing! they have a rated strength of only 300lbs.!

Mccohenster

Nov 5, 2009, 4:11 PM
Post #8 of 46 (12242 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jcrew] Top Lining help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I prefer lobsters over crabs. Lobsters are much more reliable and safer. Lobsters have bigger claws and are typically larger.

jackkelly00

Nov 5, 2009, 4:40 PM
Post #9 of 46 (12229 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Mccohenster] Top Lining help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

why are you guys talking about lobsters? I need help setting up the rope system.

LostinMaine

Nov 5, 2009, 4:50 PM
Post #10 of 46 (12223 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jackkelly00 wrote:

I've often pondered this myself.

Here was a friend of mine as we set off to the crag the other day. We opted for the single crab system.

One of the difficulties we discovered with the single crab top-lining scenario was that upon taking a 0.3 to 0.7 FF top-line celebratory whipper, the crabs would either let go:

to selfishly save its appendage, or, more commonly (because we all know crabs are highly egotistical) it's claw would be ripped out of socket:

Not to worry, though. After a good day of cragging with a solid top-line setup, simply take the spent crabs and fire up the pocket rocket.

This brings me to the last point. As several others have eluded to, lobsters ARE an acceptable top-lining alternative. Note that top-line victory whippers in the FF 0.6 to 0.9 range are required for adequate amputation, so be sure to bring your helmet for the long falls and butter for the celebration.

jackkelly00

Nov 5, 2009, 5:08 PM
Post #11 of 46 (12211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [LostinMaine] Top Lining help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No... i really dont understand. I just want to know how to set up my top lining system. Should I use a single crab or not? You guys really seem lost. Im talking about top-lining, not fishing.

LostinMaine

Nov 5, 2009, 5:22 PM
Post #12 of 46 (12201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jackkelly00 wrote:
No... i really dont understand. I just want to know how to set up my top lining system. Should I use a single crab or not? You guys really seem lost. Im talking about top-lining, not fishing.

Perhaps you ARE talking about fishing. It seems you've combined top-roping with long-lining?

lostlazy

Nov 5, 2009, 5:27 PM
Post #13 of 46 (12199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LostinMaine wrote:
jackkelly00 wrote:

I've often pondered this myself.

Here was a friend of mine as we set off to the crag the other day. We opted for the single crab system.
[image]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CZNJ2TYn-dw/Snv9SRxJZxI/AAAAAAAAAhg/gLlmHKuDVZI/s400/rope-crab.jpg[/image]
One of the difficulties we discovered with the single crab top-lining scenario was that upon taking a 0.3 to 0.7 FF top-line celebratory whipper, the crabs would either let go:
[image]http://www.psych.utah.edu/stat/dynamic_systems/Content/examples/E42_Manual/Eco-of-Mind_CNS/images/crab-claw-size-different.jpg[/image]
to selfishly save its appendage, or, more commonly (because we all know crabs are highly egotistical) it's claw would be ripped out of socket:
[image]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_r4KTE70IaYg/RnSwIjWX3JI/AAAAAAAAAOE/xEVZke-prL8/s400/Blue+Crab+Claw_640.jpg[/image]

Not to worry, though. After a good day of cragging with a solid top-line setup, simply take the spent crabs and fire up the pocket rocket.
[image]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Hy6vog_d-4s/SOtQ1Sr1rxI/AAAAAAAAsJc/Zj0vgxr3gKA/IMG_0590.JPG?imgmax=640[/image]

This brings me to the last point. As several others have eluded to, lobsters ARE an acceptable top-lining alternative. Note that top-line victory whippers in the FF 0.6 to 0.9 range are required for adequate amputation, so be sure to bring your helmet for the long falls and butter for the celebration.

This is absolutely hilarious, you made my afternoon.

bill413

Nov 5, 2009, 5:33 PM
Post #14 of 46 (12192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lostlazy] Top Lining help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know - all you folks using single crabs - I was always taught that redundancy was good in climbing (but perhaps not so much in fishing?)

I like using two crabs to go up. That way if one gets tired, the other can compensate. I think lobsters have their places as well, but you do have to know the difference, since crabs go in sideways, but lobsters don't.

jackkelly00

Nov 5, 2009, 5:46 PM
Post #15 of 46 (12177 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So youre saying it is top-roping???? my friend always calls it top lining. Are you sure??? So how do I set up the top part of the system. Is it okay to throw the rope around a tree and just pull from there or is that wrong too?? im really confused

taydude

Nov 5, 2009, 6:11 PM
Post #16 of 46 (12161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Make sure to throw out your crabs if you drop them. They can form micro fractures if dropped from even 3 feet onto a hard surface.

jcrew

Nov 5, 2009, 6:24 PM
Post #17 of 46 (12152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jackkelly00 wrote:
im really confused

yes, it's seems you are. but you've onsighted .10a, according to your profile??

Seriously, only dipshits from Maine would use a lobster, all us west coasties use crabs, way bomber, lighter, and sexier on the rack.

(This post was edited by jcrew on Nov 5, 2009, 6:25 PM)

qwert

Nov 5, 2009, 6:36 PM
Post #18 of 46 (12143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally i would recommend shrimps.
I really dont know why noone in the US uses shrimps.

Probably an european thing?

Or am i missing something?

qwert

jackkelly00

Nov 5, 2009, 6:43 PM
Post #19 of 46 (12136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah i did this rute at the gym. I think it was 5.10

jackkelly00

Nov 5, 2009, 6:44 PM
Post #20 of 46 (12135 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taydude] Top Lining help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

are you serious!?!?!

jackkelly00

Nov 5, 2009, 6:45 PM
Post #21 of 46 (12133 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taydude] Top Lining help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

3 ft!!! WOW.

jcrew

Nov 5, 2009, 6:57 PM
Post #22 of 46 (12124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jackkelly00 wrote:
yeah i did this rute at the gym. I think it was 5.10

it says it was called "cat crack" in connecticut.

if that is so, being an eastie, you should run lobsters. just be sure, as was previously stated, to check them for cracks after any significant drop.

LostinMaine

Nov 5, 2009, 7:06 PM
Post #23 of 46 (12119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jcrew wrote:
jackkelly00 wrote:
im really confused

yes, it's seems you are. but you've onsighted .10a, according to your profile??

Seriously, only dipshits from Maine would use a lobster, all us west coasties use crabs, way bomber, lighter, and sexier on the rack.

I'll buy bomber and lighter, but no fuggin' way they are sexier. Note from my example of climbing last week. I top-lined this raging WI6+ slab route that was at least a 2-pitch IV A4. Just as I started up, maybe only 25 feet off the deck, I dropped my crab.

I had no choice but to go to my backup; a slick, sexy lobster belay slave. Needless to say, the climb went much better.

Only a left coaster...

jackkelly00

Nov 5, 2009, 7:19 PM
Post #24 of 46 (12113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SO THATS HOW YOU USE CRABS FOR PRO??? INTERESTING. NOTE TAKEN

bill413

Nov 5, 2009, 7:52 PM
Post #25 of 46 (12098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jackkelly00 wrote:
SO THATS HOW YOU USE CRABS FOR PRO??? INTERESTING. NOTE TAKEN

Outed

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook