airscape

Oct 12, 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2695 views)
Shortcut

Hey ozzies
Report this Post
Can't Post

I might be going to oz in december.

What is the better city to visit Melbourne or adelaide?

I need to subtract a day of one of those, but I don't know which one.

thanks k
bye

blondgecko

Oct 13, 2010, 12:48 AM
Post #2 of 16 (2671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [airscape] Hey ozzies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Melbourne. No contest.

airscape

Oct 13, 2010, 6:27 AM
Post #3 of 16 (2659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Hey ozzies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
Melbourne. No contest.

THanks!

Fuck man, I'm trying to get plane tickets, but it's a pain.

THe best I can get so far is via Hong Kong and that is a whole 16 hours longer flying time. Crazy

THis spur of the moment holiday decisions for December time is a bugger up.

airscape

Oct 13, 2010, 8:33 AM
Post #4 of 16 (2653 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Hey ozzies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
Melbourne. No contest.

I have decided to skip adelaide altoghertherherrerherrerrrer

kachoong

Oct 13, 2010, 12:54 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2639 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
Melbourne. No contest.

Well, that's yore fault for trusting a greenie ozzie who lives in Brisbane.

I would have said Adelaide, but it depends... when you're there and how long you have there.

I reckon Adelaide is a more beautiful city. Melbourne is too spread out. If you have a few days and intend to climb though, Melbourne is your pic. The beach is RIGHT THERE in Adelaide... the scenic hills are right there in Adelaide and give great views... the parks are way better in Adelaide and right next to the city.

airscape

Oct 13, 2010, 1:15 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kachoong] Hey ozzies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
Melbourne. No contest.

I would have said Adelaide, but it depends... when you're there and how long you have there.

I reckon Adelaide is a more beautiful city. Melbourne is too spread out. If you have a few days and intend to climb though, Melbourne is your pic. The beach is RIGHT THERE in Adelaide... the scenic hills are right there in Adelaide and give great views... the parks are way better in Adelaide and right next to the city.

The flights have already been changed, so adelaide has now been removed. I think it would have made for too many stops in any case

plan:
4 days perth
4 days melbourne
3 days driving to sydney
4 days sydney
5 days cairns
home

unfortunately it won't be a climbing holiday... I did not organize it.

But I will try to get a bit of climbing though, shoes are already packed.

kachoong

Oct 13, 2010, 1:23 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
Melbourne. No contest.

The flights have already been changed, so adelaide has now been removed. I think it would have made for too many stops in any case

plan:
4 days perth
4 days melbourne
3 days driving to sydney
4 days sydney
5 days cairns
home

Three days to get to Sydney....hmmmm, you could squeeze in a full day of climbing... perhaps Nowra? You could get there in a day from Melbourne (about 9-10 hours drive), and then it's only a couple of hours to Sydney from there.

airscape

Oct 13, 2010, 2:01 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2617 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
Melbourne. No contest.

plan:
4 days perth
4 days melbourne
3 days driving to sydney
4 days sydney
5 days cairns
home

Three days to get to Sydney....hmmmm, you could squeeze in a full day of climbing... perhaps Nowra? You could get there in a day from Melbourne (about 9-10 hours drive), and then it's only a couple of hours to Sydney from there.

That sounds like a plan.

Thanks.

kachoong

Oct 13, 2010, 2:07 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
Melbourne. No contest.

plan:
4 days perth
4 days melbourne
3 days driving to sydney
4 days sydney
5 days cairns
home

That sounds like a plan.

Thanks.

You know, you may even be able to find someone (especially online beforehand) that you can share gear with. If I lived back there I'd meet you in Nowra. You could do a heap of routes at Thompsons Point in a day. It's pretty much right in town down by the river... (not in a van)

airscape

Oct 13, 2010, 2:45 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
Melbourne. No contest.

plan:
4 days perth
4 days melbourne
3 days driving to sydney
4 days sydney
5 days cairns
home

That sounds like a plan.

Thanks.

You know, you may even be able to find someone (especially online beforehand) that you can share gear with. If I lived back there I'd meet you in Nowra. You could do a heap of routes at Thompsons Point in a day. It's pretty much right in town down by the river... (not in a van)

That would have been sweet.

Is it a trad area?

Although at my fitness level at the moment, i'd probably not even do 3 routes in a day. Frown

airscape

Oct 13, 2010, 2:45 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2600 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and by 3 routes I mean single pitch panzy routes.

kachoong

Oct 13, 2010, 3:00 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
Melbourne. No contest.

plan:
4 days perth
4 days melbourne
3 days driving to sydney
4 days sydney
5 days cairns
home

That sounds like a plan.

Thanks.

Is it a trad area?

Although at my fitness level at the moment, i'd probably not even do 3 routes in a day. Frown

Actually it's a sport climbers paradise. Hundreds of routes. Plenty between grade 10 and 20 (5.2 and 5.10c) if that's the grades you're interested in. So many classics too around 15-18 (5.7-5.10a). There are a few climbs described here on this site but you'd probably want to browse a guide of some kind.

airscape

Oct 13, 2010, 3:26 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
Melbourne. No contest.

plan:
4 days perth
4 days melbourne
3 days driving to sydney
4 days sydney
5 days cairns
home

That sounds like a plan.

Thanks.

Is it a trad area?

Actually it's a sport climbers paradise. Hundreds of routes. Plenty between grade 10 and 20 (5.2 and 5.10c) if that's the grades you're interested in. So many classics too around 15-18 (5.7-5.10a). There are a few climbs described here on this site but you'd probably want to browse a guide of some kind.

Sweet! I'll definaterly have a look.

Thanks very much for the advice, I think I shall take it.

kachoong

Oct 13, 2010, 3:31 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2580 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
Melbourne. No contest.

plan:
4 days perth
4 days melbourne
3 days driving to sydney
4 days sydney
5 days cairns
home

That sounds like a plan.

Thanks.

Is it a trad area?

Sweet! I'll definaterly have a look.

Thanks very much for the advice, I think I shall take it.

No worries! Looking at your itinerary it certainly looked like you had a possibility for climbing on your way to Sydney and I reckon Nowra would give you the best straight-forward chance. Plus it's a nice drive down through Kangaroo Valley to the coast... you should have plenty of daylight.

Arrogant_Bastard

Oct 13, 2010, 4:54 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2567 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

airscape wrote:
kachoong wrote:
airscape wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
Melbourne. No contest.

plan:
4 days perth
4 days melbourne
3 days driving to sydney
4 days sydney
5 days cairns
home

You're driving from Melbourne to Sydney and not going to Araps or Blueys? All the way out to Perth? Up to Cairns? You're doing it wrong. Don't try to squeeze so much in, it's a huge country.

airscape

Oct 20, 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #16 of 16 (2502 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Hey ozzies [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It wasn't my ititinatinararyry.

I was invited to come along, and decided to go.

I also think it's a bit too much, I generaly don't like to visit anywhere for less that a week. Luckily I was able to get rid of adelaide and kangaroo island, that would have made the whole trip just one big traveling too and fro the whole fucking time.
One needs to stay a while to get the feel of a place IMO.

Unfortunately it's not a rock climbing trip since it wasn't mine to begin with. Frown But I will atleast try to get one or two routes in. But I shall check it out for future excursions.

On the side note: I was this weekend in Cape Town, and I've never been there before. There are some sweet looking mountains there. I'm already starting a planning for a rock trip!!

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook