RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

noell

Jul 28, 2011, 6:00 PM
Post #1 of 4 (4011 views)
Shortcut

Fingerboard workouts while Pregnant-
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am 19 weeks right now, climbing lightly (TR), lifting light weights, riding bike, walking (its HOT here! 95+ degrees and humid, not much to do outside). I am a very healthy, active person. Prior to pregnancy, I have redpointed up to 13b sport and v7 bouldering.

I am already trying to envision best possible scenarios to stay strong for climbing through pregnancy so the road back isn't so rough. As of now, working hard on big muscle groups (lats, pull power, etc.) seems counter productive and really tiring. My body needs energy for baby making!

So..... since I can't train like normal.... I was contemplating doing a 3-4 month finger strengthening program in the later part of my pregnancy and post-pregnancy. Finger board excercises basically, so I can come back climbing with some serious finger strength post baby.

What say ye about doing finger board exercises in month 6,7,8 and beyond? Pros and cons? Other exercises?

clee03m

Jul 28, 2011, 9:12 PM
Post #2 of 4 (3991 views)
Shortcut

Re: [noell] Fingerboard workouts while Pregnant- [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You would be more prone to injury because your tendons are much more lax. So I would approach this very carefully. But that being said, I am putting up a hang board and plan to use that with my next pregnancy.

One book I read called Exercising through your Pregnancy says that if a woman exercises at the same intensity throughout pregnancy and after as before her pregnancy, she will actually surpass her atheletic abilities.

I have personally seen one girl in my gym who climbed harder than ever after her first baby. After her second, it didn't take her long to get back into shape.

Congrats, and hope you send harder than ever after the little critter comes!

iamthewallress

Aug 8, 2011, 9:06 PM
Post #3 of 4 (3868 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Pregnancy might be a bad time to introduce fingerboard training to your routine. As Clee mentions, your tendons and ligaments will be come more lax. I ruptured a pulley when I tried to add hangboard to my training, and I wasn't pregnant!

klopik

Sep 17, 2011, 9:52 PM
Post #4 of 4 (3631 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In all honesty, I wouldn't - simply because as someone said all of your joints will be a lot more loose, and the chance of getting injured is much, much higher during pregnancy.
I was using expanders and hand strengthening toys :) My hands were not a problem after pregnancy, my core was - it took a while to get the abs back ;)
You will do great afterwards, too! It takes a bit to get back, but then you do. I was climbing 11s before I got pregnant, and now I am climbing 12s (my baby is 18 months).
Make sure you continue exercising all through the pregnancy though, even if it is just walking at the end.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook