RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

beyond_gravity

Jan 11, 2003, 7:50 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2544 views)
Shortcut

"Bondo" Holds
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I tried making these a few weeks ago and it didn't work.

However, I did not add the sand into the mix.

I also was not using "Bondo", I was using Motormaster Autobody Filler. It is the same stuff just cheaper.

What happened is that it was way to liquidy to shape without a mold. Is bondo less liquidy and easyier to shape?? Will sand make this possible?

thanks

moeman

Jan 11, 2003, 8:00 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2544 views)
Shortcut

"Bondo" Holds [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/9640/index.html

and
http://www.geocities.com/samshank/

meataxe

Jan 11, 2003, 8:40 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bondo (or Canadian Tire filler) is just a liquid resin with filler to bulk up the mixture and make it more shapeable. You could get the same effect by adding sand as a filler into ordinary polyester resin. Sand is OK, because you don't need the low-weight/fine-finishing characteristics of Bondo. I think sand would give a better texture for holds.

The best way to make the holds is to mold them. The simplest mold can be made in a tray of fine moist sand. Just press the shape you want into the sand and pour in the resin mixture. You can cast real rocks, existing holds, or even body parts

Disclaimer: I don't make holds, but I do like to play with resins.

rprp

Jan 11, 2003, 11:32 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are doing the sand filler, try to find a real fine sand like that used for grout. You will get a smoother hold if you use only the fine sand. For a rougher hold, use a mix of finer and coarser sand.

seabee

Jan 12, 2003, 12:27 AM
Post #5 of 8 (2544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The first holds I made out of bondo looked like pink mud pies. Then, I made plaster molds of some commercial holds I have, and have had pretty good luck making bondo holds with them. Just make sure you spray the mold with WD-40 or cooking spray, or the bondo will stick to the plaster, and you'll never get it out. BTW, I use relatively coarse, "play" sand.

stormannorman

Jan 15, 2003, 6:45 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I made a bunch of bondo holds by taking some metoliuos holds putting vasaline on them and then coating the hold with silicone. 2 days later I had a great mold that I could use forever. Now I can make holds in 5 minutes. One trick that works well is to vasaline the inside of the silicone mold and drop it into sand so when you put in the bondo it adhears to the sand and you have a nice texture, oh and you will need to boil the holds in hot water to get off all the vasaline.

koko

Jan 15, 2003, 7:35 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I havent tried making bondo holds yet but i have used other stuff. Go down to the creek and collect some rocks (limestone is best) and drill holes with a masonry bit. tadaaa! in five minutes you have a hold. sometimes you have to make the back flat with plaster or whatever. usually I just drill 3-4 small holes for screws, but with big rocks I drill a 3/8 or 1/2 inch hole.
Also, a great add on to any wall is small diameter copper tubing, say 1/2 inch max. its great for contact strength and you can do relatively alot with it in terms of shaping it or making long rails etc.

psalmadventurer

Jan 16, 2003, 3:34 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2544 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Making holds from Bondo is quite hard, time consuming, and messy (my opinion)...but, you could get really creative and make the coolest holds yet! And that would be well worth it =-) I followed the directions from that Geocities site and used very fine sand.
hope it goes well for ya.
jenn

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook