RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

watersprite

Jan 24, 2003, 8:29 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1523 views)
Shortcut

belay device
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

"Using the old hip-belay technique with ATC's. BOTH hands up in the air palms facing each other is NOT the correct technique with an ATC...that is sooo old school."

what is the CORRECT way to use an ATC?

vegastradguy

Jan 24, 2003, 8:40 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1523 views)
Shortcut

belay device [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The best thing is to have someone who knows how to use one show you. We can all explain it to you, but it'd be far safer to actually have it shown and explained to you by someone experienced.

It's very simple, just make sure you take the time to learn how to use it correctly.

kindredlion

Jan 24, 2003, 8:46 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks John,

I was trolling for a graphical tutorial, to save the miscommunication...

You have "one upped" me here...

Linda,

John is right. For your own good, either take a class, or go to your local crag, and be friendly. Someone will show you how...

If you're interested, PM me, and I will be glad to show you the ropes. I will be in Pinnacles this weekend...

Take Air (traffic controlled of course)

Adam

watersprite

Jan 24, 2003, 8:55 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hhhmmmm, I guess I was hoping for a graphic... my friend gave me a device that is gold and has one ringed end, and the other end looks like a little cap.
I've used another one that was simple to use - and that time I was told to use the arm behind the back brake position.

seems that everyone is going to tell me a different way to belay, and I want to do it right.

howitzer

Jan 24, 2003, 9:44 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1523 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and everyone will tell you a different way is better, too! Palms up belay with an ATC is old school, but there is nothing wrong with it so long as you are belaying correctly. The importance is that you are comfortable with it, and safe with it at the same time. A certain belay technique (of which there are a few) is no good if you aren't good at it or safe about it. The way they teach belaying with an ATC nowadays is with your break hand palm down, pull the slack through and down to break position, bring your nonbreak hand over by your break hand, and then slide break hand up the rope. Or you can put both hands palm down on the break end and just pull the slack through. It's up to you - all of these are fine methods if you are comfortable with it, break when needed, and don't take the break hand off. And yes, you should get someone to show you these various techniques before trying them out. And dont' just walk up to any joe schmoo asking for help, God knows there's too many clueless climbers out there who don't know what they're doing. Find an experienced climber who you trust to show you the ropes. You can also look in the How to Rock Climb series and Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills for some graphics. Climb safe

[ This Message was edited by: howitzer on 2003-01-24 13:47 ]

charley

Jan 25, 2003, 12:30 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1523 views)
Shortcut

rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hope

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook