RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

rockman517

Feb 24, 2003, 3:24 AM
Post #1 of 12 (3180 views)
Shortcut

Boone
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't think that there is a guide....when you get down there just go into Footsloggers and they will give you tons of info, and you will def. meet people that will show you around.....they are good people down there....super psyched on climbing......have fun (oh, and go to lost cove, it's the shit)

eastsider

Feb 24, 2003, 2:44 PM
Post #2 of 12 (3180 views)
Shortcut

Boone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Try the www.NCbouldering.com site. Directions are available there for some of the boulders. This site also has a reasonably good data base of problems down there. tT at least gives you an idea of whats where. Footsloggers has a so-so map to get you to the boulders, but no topo the last time I was there. The Lost Cove is definately the easiest to find and navigate (IMO), though the bulk of the problems tend to start around3+/4. Have a good time.

Cheers

Adam

spacemonkey

Feb 25, 2003, 2:54 PM
Post #3 of 12 (3180 views)
Shortcut

Boone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Blowing Rock Boulders. AMAZING place. Oh, and when you're in Footsloggers, see if you can purchase a copy of Witness This. It's a locally made video of bouldering in Boone. It is by far the best climbing video I have ever seen.

Brian

Partner camhead

Feb 25, 2003, 2:59 PM
Post #4 of 12 (3180 views)
Shortcut

Boone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shit, I thought that this was going to be a forum about Boone Speed. that dude rules. not sure if he has ever bouldered in the southeast, though.

horsepenshippie

Mar 9, 2003, 1:28 AM
Post #5 of 12 (3180 views)
Shortcut

Boone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Boone Speed DOES rule!!!! he and Klem Loskot had really HIGH regards for alot of S.E. areas from what i heard. Knarley Dudes sickness

tyraidbp

Mar 11, 2003, 6:27 PM
Post #6 of 12 (3180 views)
Shortcut

Boone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Boone is great. If you go to Footsloggers you will find that there are only a few people who know much about the bouldering in the Boone area. They will tell you roads to take and how to get to Blowing Rock, but beyond that, the bouldering is kinda kept lowkey by the locals hence the lack of guide books. You most likely will get some info on Blowing Rock and perhaps GrandMother and or 221. You should also try and find out how the weather is going with the melt off and whatnot. And my suggestion is to start training now for the approaches. GrandMother has a hella approach, but once you are there, YOU ARE THERE. Not sure what you climb at, but you could hit the Engine Block and jump on Hot Rod(Roughly 88 or 89)Throttle(55 or Full Throttle(sit start only done a couple of times 99+++) and then hit NOS(solid 66 traverse up this arete full of sloppers and a iffy landing). Then maybe hit the Mighty Mouse and a few others on the same boulder. Everything up in that area will run the most stout and true ratings I have seen.
When at Blowing Rock jump on the Roof of Death and hit the Mushroom boulder for some real fun. But like I said, most of it might be hard to get on because of wetness. Have a good time!!

spider_woman

Mar 11, 2003, 6:48 PM
Post #7 of 12 (3180 views)
Shortcut

Boone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Try this website, I looked at it briefly at it looks to have some useful beta.

http://www.climbingsource.com

r. 8)

marxist1

Mar 18, 2003, 4:10 PM
Post #8 of 12 (3180 views)
Shortcut

Boone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, it is true that the locals will send you to one of the main areas (i.e. blowing rock, lost cove, g-mom, 221), and for good reason. these areas are the most developed with a concentration of high quality lines. You could easily spend a week at any one of these areas (with problems from v-beginner to v-mutant). a guide book, which has been in the works for sometime, may be coming out in the spring.

the areas that some may call "secret" are not secret because the locals wish to hoard all of the good bouldering, but rather access issues are always issues in the boone area. i am not aware of any secret bouldering areas that rival the size, quality, and concentration of grandmother mtn. if you can explore all of the bouldering areas within g-mom in a week, i would be suprised. i seem to find new boulders and problems everytime i visit.

The local bouldering community has already lost access to several mid-to-large size bouldering areas, including howard's knob and hound ears, both of which offer primo bouldering. Therefore, some of the newer, smaller areas being developed are not well publicized. this is generally due to issues of parking or working out access with the park service/landowner before allowing the masses to trample the area for two new boulders.

you will find that boone's bouldering community is quite friendly, providing some great beta on problems, bouldering areas, and sometimes offering a place to crash. so feel free to ask the boonies for info if you can't find a particular problem or need beta on sending one.

send me an email and tell me when you coming and i will hook you up with info and maybe a bouldering tour.

lox

Mar 18, 2003, 4:27 PM
Post #9 of 12 (3180 views)
Shortcut

Boone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I want to climb there because it rhymes with "poon."

marxist1

Mar 18, 2003, 4:43 PM
Post #10 of 12 (3180 views)
Shortcut

Boone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well lox, maybe you should climb there "soon". especially since it rhymes with boone, but not in a monsoon. it "ain't" aus10 limestone, but it is just as good. different, but good.

lox

Mar 18, 2003, 8:52 PM
Post #11 of 12 (3180 views)
Shortcut

Boone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So I hear. I'll be around in April.

Who wants to give me a tour ?

lol.

I'm a buffoon !!!!!!!1111111111111

marxist1

Mar 19, 2003, 1:06 PM
Post #12 of 12 (3180 views)
Shortcut

Boone [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if you are really going to be around in april, i can probably show you around some of the bouldering areas. more chuff climbing than you can handle - well maybe not you. i'll talk to you about it at GS.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook