RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

ronamick

May 8, 2003, 6:22 AM
Post #1 of 4 (757 views)
Shortcut

Almost chipped holds...glad I didn't
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I posted a thread about my local boulders being slated for destruction to make way for a golf course, and how I was tempted to alter the rock to create a problem which would ascend the best natural feature (altered rock? Natural feature? Oxymoronic, isn't it?) out there.

Long story short, I stuck to my principles and was glad I did at the time.

Two years later I'm even more thankful that I didn't do something I would come to regret, because my boulders are still there!

I went back up there and sat there looking at the landings, trails and kick-back areas around the boulders, and tripped on the years of work
and felt a great pride and satisfaction. It's such a cool little spot, and I'd forgotten how good the problems were. I was so inspired that I went back the next weekend with my gardening tools and cleared the waist high regrowth from around the rocks, cleared trails and even rebuilt the roof of my "shade room" with the trimmings.

The fact that the rocks have not been destroyed means that my justification for chipping was totally invalid (at least as of this date), and that I allowed myself to be influenced by what I had heard, rather than what I could see and touch.

Another reminder to live for today, that tomorrow may never come. I had written off my boulders because of a tomorrow that has not, and may never come to pass.

tori

May 8, 2003, 7:11 AM
Post #2 of 4 (757 views)
Shortcut

Re: Almost chipped holds...glad I didn't [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Almost started record flame.... glad that won't happen now. enjoy your climbing area. :D

apollodorus

May 8, 2003, 7:56 AM
Post #3 of 4 (757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't chip. What're you going to go up in one/three years when you become a better climber?

foyboy

May 8, 2003, 8:38 AM
Post #4 of 4 (757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only time I ever chipped a hold is when I tripped and fell and dropped an old worn out plastic gym hold :wink:

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook