RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

iltripp

Jan 27, 2004, 8:25 PM
Post #1 of 5 (923 views)
Shortcut

watching topic emails
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think the new email notification of topics that you are watching is a good idea, but could have been implemented slightly better (no offense). Maybe a little tweaking is in order.

First, the emails that you receive say:

"You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "" at
Rockclimbing.com."

It would greatly help if that "" were filled in so that we would know what topic it is and if we want to bother looking at it or not.

Second, and more importantly: The way it currently works is that any topic you reply to is put on your list of topics you are watching, and if you want to stop watching the topic, you say so. I don't like this very much. I would suggest another format, where there is a link at the bottom of a thread to allow you to start watching the topic. That way, you can watch the topics of your choice without being bombarded with email responses to topics you only posted in because you are a post-whore. Maybe instead of a link at the bottom of the thread, you could check a box in reply window when you respond to a topic.

Anyway, just an idea.... Do with it as you will.

eric

Jan 27, 2004, 9:08 PM
Post #2 of 5 (923 views)
Shortcut

Re: watching topic emails [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think the new email notification of topics that you are watching is a good idea, but could have been implemented slightly better (no offense). Maybe a little tweaking is in order.

Agreed.

In reply to:
It would greatly help if that "" were filled in so that we would know what topic it is and if we want to bother looking at it or not.

A bug. Will be fixed.

In reply to:
Second, and more importantly: The way it currently works is that any topic you reply to is put on your list of topics you are watching, and if you want to stop watching the topic, you say so.

I think this is the default behaviour in the forums software we use. This should be changed so that watching is off by default. I personally don't need an extra 50 emails a day, and I rather expect no one else does either. I will take care of this.

ambler

Jan 27, 2004, 9:13 PM
Post #3 of 5 (923 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Further bug: the link in the e-mail can point to one of those dead "no posts exist for this topic" final pages, leaving you no way to connect back to the actual thread.

eric

Jan 27, 2004, 9:32 PM
Post #4 of 5 (923 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Second, and more importantly: The way it currently works is that any topic you reply to is put on your list of topics you are watching, and if you want to stop watching the topic, you say so.

Hey, look at that... there is an option in your profile to have this option turned off by default. Go to the edit profile page, then scroll down and uncheck the "Always notify me of replies" option. After that you will only be notified of replies if you explicitely check the "Notify me when a reply is posted" checkbox.

eric

Jan 27, 2004, 9:33 PM
Post #5 of 5 (923 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Further bug: the link in the e-mail can point to one of those dead "no posts exist for this topic" final pages, leaving you no way to connect back to the actual thread.

This is a separate and long standing bug. In fact I think it's no longer a bug but a tradition. I don't think it would be right to fix it :)

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook