Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Big Wall and Aid Climbing:
When is it safe to climb Salathe Wall without ice fall?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

sfclimber

Feb 26, 2004, 3:09 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1304 views)
Shortcut

When is it safe to climb Salathe Wall without ice fall?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions as to when it would be safe to climb Freeblast (first 10 pitches of Salathe Wall) without fear of falling ice?

I was hoping for this weekend, but given the recent winter conditions in Yosemite, even if it is clear on the weekend I'm not encouraged by what the ice conditions from above would be.

iamthewallress

Feb 26, 2004, 3:28 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1304 views)
Shortcut

Re: When is it safe to climb Salathe Wall without ice fall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Does anyone have any experience or suggestions as to when it would be safe to climb Freeblast (first 10 pitches of Salathe Wall) without fear of falling ice?

I was hoping for this weekend, but given the recent winter conditions in Yosemite, even if it is clear on the weekend I'm not encouraged by what the ice conditions from above would be.

Since the snow line is a 3000 today, and the storm is expected to continue until Friday, I'd say that there's a good chance the top of El Cap will be icy this weekend. Beware of the missiles that launch when the rock warms up. Bring your binos to see what you're up against from the meadow.

guanoboy

Mar 3, 2004, 1:42 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1304 views)
Shortcut

Re: When is it safe to climb Salathe Wall without ice fall? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

go for it. I was just there a couple of weeks ago after some heavy snows and it looked (from walking along the base) that the free blast will be dry and relatively free of flying ice. If it sunny and above 25 degrees you should be quite comfortable. I was overheating on the rock when it was '45' degrees and sunny.
k

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook