RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

yaronking

May 4, 2004, 8:05 AM
Post #1 of 13 (2549 views)
Shortcut

climbing in Nowra -south of sydney
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

looking for a climbing partner for Nowra (south of sydney-sport climbing),
between june and july.

yaron

darkstar

May 20, 2004, 12:15 PM
Post #2 of 13 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing in Nowra -south of sydney [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i camped there for a month and had some sucess just hooking up w/ climbers that showed up ...but i had to be very aggresive in letting them know i wanted a belay ... its an awesome place ... id also say if you havent climbed in the bluies around katoomba then go there i have some contacts around there ..its easy to get parteners there by going to the climbing gym or going to blue mountain backpackers and asking collin ...pm me if u have any question i was there for a year ...jerr

wallwombat

May 21, 2004, 2:25 AM
Post #3 of 13 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You will freeze your nuts off in the Blue Mountains in June and July. Nowra is a better option at that time of year. Frog Butress is even better. PM me some details and I might be enticed to join you in Nowra for a bit.

crux_clipper

May 21, 2004, 2:36 AM
Post #4 of 13 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

u should have no probs hooking up with partners at that time. i know of a couple of groups going there for a couple of weeks over june. but yeah, u might have to be a bit aggressive at first.

kachoong

May 21, 2004, 2:37 AM
Post #5 of 13 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, I'd agree with Mr Wombat. You will freeze your butt of in the Blueys right now! It's already getting toward freezing at night there. Nowra will still be cold, may rain, but it will be warmer in the day, especially if you climb at Thompsons Point.
If you can change plans, come up here to SE Queensland and climb at Frog, Girraween and the Glasshouse mountains. Weather is much milder. No rain, nights are cool but never freezing (except Girraween) and the days are between 18-24.
...you'll find something...and there's always climbers around.

....Dave

darkstar

May 22, 2004, 1:47 PM
Post #6 of 13 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No way middle of winter is perfect in the bluies ... yeah its cold but its sticky as ... bowens creek middle of winter is perfect .... you guys must be sissies i canyoneered all winter as well .... nowra is great winter destination as well ... maybe a little warmer but there is nothing to do there but climb which is ok for a month... but it can get a little boring .... and grampians ... is of course great in winter to ... i made almost all my hardest sends in winter in the bluies and belayed garth on one of his many first ascents on the coldest day of the winter ... the 30's were going down down under ..... haha ... step up i guess if you want to go up to frog it would be deffinatly alot warmer ... you know i did notice a serious lack of climbers in oz when it got a tad cold ... only the hard cores would come out .... dark

wallwombat

May 25, 2004, 7:55 AM
Post #7 of 13 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Winter in the Blueys might be a good time to send your latest 5.14? project but normal humans will have a pretty miserable time of it. I lived there for 4 years and although you can have good climbing days in winter, it's still a bit of a lottery.

Last time I checked, Bowens Creek was closed to climbing by the National Parks Department.

Canyons in the Blue Mountains in winter are exactly the same as canyons in the Blue Mountains in summer, bloody freezing.

darkstar

May 25, 2004, 3:33 PM
Post #8 of 13 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

closed ..... how about the freezer is it closed as well ..when i left they were about to close it ..... seems like pretty much about the sport routes inthe bluies are closed ??????? dark

wallwombat

May 25, 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #9 of 13 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as I know the Freezer is still open to climbing. Bowens Creek is in a National Park. Thats's where the trouble lies. The National Parks and Wildlife Department are very touchy the kind of mass bolting that took place in Bowen Creek.

jaylaka

Jun 1, 2004, 2:36 AM
Post #10 of 13 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey there,
i'll be living in sydney from late june to early august - planning on climbing while we're there too. we're from wisconsin, so cold isn't a deal-breaker. :P i'll have my five year old son (who generally is happy to occupy himself at the crags) for what it's worth.
jen

temporary-wintertime
Deleted

Jun 15, 2004, 10:18 AM
Post #11 of 13 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ill be in nowra (thompsons point) for a week from 29th of June or thereabouts...and yeh as darkstar said, blueys are pretty crisp this time of the year but its GREAT for climbing- i was at shipley the other day and it was actually boiling hot...
anyway cold is way better than hot, andi thought you northern hemisphere folk were used to that anyway?!!

vanessaw

Jun 29, 2004, 8:56 AM
Post #12 of 13 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bowens isn't closed. And its warm enough once the sun hits around 10am in winter.
Nowra is excellent in winter.
Try these tips for a climbing partner in OZ:
If you are looking for a partner in NSW try the website Crag X which has a bulletin board.
If you are looking for a partner in Victoria try chockstone,
and for Queensland try qurank.
Alternatively log onto theCrag.com and "betanet" people who have climbed at the area you are interested in climbing at.

thor82

Aug 10, 2004, 11:19 AM
Post #13 of 13 (2549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I`going to be in sydney in august if someone wants to to climb please tell me something.

My name is Alex and I really wants to climb soon as I can.

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook