RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

veganboyjosh

May 21, 2004, 6:19 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1719 views)
Shortcut

highline question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i know not many--if any-- of the highliners here will give out technical advice on setting one up, and for good reason.
when setting up a highline, the person setting it up has to send both sides of whatever the line is going over, no?
i see how this is necessary, but doesn't this take a lot of time in setting the thing up?
what are the origins of slacking? i thoguht at first it was used to traverse over low areas...ie a low river if you are at the top...but since you have to be at the top of the other side in order to secure the other end of the line, this does not make mnuch sense.
was it just something fun to do with climbing gear? is/was there another use for it?

maculated

May 21, 2004, 6:23 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1719 views)
Shortcut

Re: highline question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not even a real slacker, so I'm not going to answer the techinical stuf, but . . . .

As far as I know, slacklining originated in Camp 4 on rest days when the guys were bored. I can't imagine using it to traverse a river would be very efficient. Actually, I know it's not. I have videos of Ammon falling in the Merced.

slackdaddy

May 21, 2004, 9:47 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Slackline was never about climbing. Slackline is about the art of dynamic balance.

jstp

May 26, 2004, 8:01 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In theory if both of the points you were going to attach to were pinacle or otherwise inaccessible you would have to send both. most highlines you can get to the top pretty easy, or only one side requires serious climging. most i'v seen. most.

as for the origins of slacklining, yes, it originated in Camp4 back in the '80s when a couple of the local charachters were rained out of climbing and took a fancy to running on the chains between fenceposts (you know the ones, they look like indusial versions of those line cotrol velvet ropes at airports and movies). as inebriation and general climber tomfoolery progressed and the devotees of this most extreme sport got into more boredom apparently one of them thought nylon webbing would be a swell way to change it up. When i was in the valley talking to the rumored originators one of them claimed he thought nylon was a dumb idea, but after trying it out for a while that became the standard. apparently its way harder than chains (which i don't see after trying many a chain, but then again i'm rather used to my bouncy lightweight nylon). the beuty of the thing is you can still go to camp4 and see climbing vagrants slacking their days away, rainy or not.

as for highlines. you'll just have to to go and meet the right people. they have there own history.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook