RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

lichen

May 23, 2004, 2:40 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1241 views)
Shortcut

Yosemite first come, first serve campsites
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am wondering what are peoples' experiences in Yosemite with first come, first serve campsites? What are you thoughts on Camp 4? Should I even consider that an option for Memorial weekend (May 28-31) or should I look else where? We're leaving San Diego Friday noon and expect to get to Yosemite Valley by midnight or so. Any replies will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

climbmunki

May 23, 2004, 5:01 AM
Post #2 of 4 (1239 views)
Shortcut

Re: Yosemite first come, first serve campsites [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can guarantee that you won't be able to legitimately stay at Camp 4 if you're arriving at midnight during Memorial Day weekend (I've slept outside in my bag by some boulders and packed up early the next morning, but I don't recommend this...). There's a 14 day limit for campers that stay there, but everyone stands in line to purchase a camp site early in the morning before the Camp 4 hut opens, which is around 7 or 8 am I think. I would try looking into other options before hitting the road. Good luck and hope this helps!

couloir

May 23, 2004, 5:52 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't bother with camp 4. that place is a madhouse already and not worth it. I would just find some boulders to hide out at and avoid the whole scene.

mchaff2

May 23, 2004, 7:02 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

don't bother with camp 4, well if you don't mind not sleeping. its a zoo. i was there last weekend. People were partying,( i mean partying, screaming and yelling till 2-3am). i love to throw down and have a good time, but not at others expense. then the early birds get up at 4-5 am clanging gear around and making breakfast.

we poached two nights at camp 4. if you poach, find a site off the main path, people coming and going all night. Bear boxes become a problem though. don't leave your food in your car, you will either get towed by the park rangers(which happened last weekend), or get broken into by the bears. try parking a el cap medow. you can park there overnight, i think, maybed someone else might know. throw your crashpad down in the medow somewhere and get up early.

there is a campsite outside of the park. if you are coming from san diego, come through the tunnel and get to the valley floor. you want to go west away from the park, i dont remember what the road number is, but it is not the 99, or 120, its the other one. go outside the park for about 20 min, there will be a campsite on the right, across the river. it is easy to miss. i have stayed there twice. it is quiet.

sorry i don't have specifics, any questions, you can pm me. maybe you can stay in oakhurst somewhere and drive in the next day.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook