RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

robmcc

Jul 26, 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1377 views)
Shortcut

Updating route descriptions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This one's bugged me for a while. Having just climbed...er, tried to climb...this particular route yesterday led me back to the routes DB, this concern, and hence my question.

I want to remove information from a route someone else added. Any prevailing site ethic on it? Details:

The route description includes beta on how to climb the route. Personally, climbing is a puzzle as well as a physical challenge from me. I've been yellin' "No beta!" for a long time. It kinda sucks to go look at a route descrption and learn not where the climb goes, but what technique to use.

The user who put the route in is a 16-year-old who hasn't posted in 2 years.

I suppose I'm already resolved to do it unless the code won't let me, but I am open to hearing opinions from others first.

Thanks,

Rob

vegastradguy

Jul 26, 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1377 views)
Shortcut

Re: Updating route descriptions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds like you should pm the Area Manager and have a chat with them. he/she should have a good idea of what the prevailing ethic is for that state.

in NV, i used to input good pitch descriptions after i had climbed the route, but i'm planning on changing this after i get the db in order. i'll probably throw it out for discussion among those who use the area most and see what the consensus is.

anyway, just my opinion.

overlord

Jul 27, 2004, 11:38 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that would depend on the type of info in the description and if the info has changed.

if the info is the description of general route progrees, eg "up the crakt to the roof, than traverse under it to your left, across the face onto a well define crack to the belay" its good. and unless something has really changed (like the roof falling off or something) or the original description is wrong, you dont really need to change it.

but if the descriprion is the description of the sequence of moves required to do it (like start on the good jug with your left hand, small crimp with right, reach with right for the gaston...) then go ahead and delete it. even if it just describes the crux, becasue anyone who reads that description cant onsight a route anymore. and that sucks about as much as someone yelling unwanted beta on your OS attempt.

Partner rrrADAM

Jul 28, 2004, 1:05 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree... Beta should only be pro, and description, not detailed beta for those who value an Onsite.

Personally, I would edit and change the descrption to only include what is needed to know to find and safely climb the route. If it's a route that is easy to get lost on, then no issue with a verbal detailed route map.

I have not seen this yet, so you may want to contact the author of the route via PM to let them know what you are going to do.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook