Forums: Climbing Partners: International:
australia: partners, rock and ice climbing in australia?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

ryan112ryan

Feb 1, 2005, 6:17 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1822 views)
Shortcut

australia: partners, rock and ice climbing in australia?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My family is moving out to Alice Springs Australia for a while, I was hopping to get some info before I head out there:

1)
Some info on some good climbs near Alice Springs and maybe even some partners. I am getting into trad, have a small rack, I TR about a 5.8 (Australia ratings: 16)

2)
I was wondering if there is any ice climbing in Australia? Where it’s at? Do I need to climb up (mountaineering) or are there places where its just a short hike in?

I’ll be there this summer (your winter) for about 3 months and would like to find partners (newbie’s or much more experienced), I will not be taking classes or working, so I could climb pretty much any time of the week. Post or PM me if your interested even if it’s just to talk about climbing in Australia
:D

hoppinbig

Feb 1, 2005, 6:53 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1822 views)
Shortcut

Re: australia: partners, rock and ice climbing in australia? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey dude....

I spent 3 weeks in Australia. A couple days in Alice Springs - I have never felt such heat before (and I used to live in florida). I have no idea if there is any ice in australia - but if there is, it will be a LONG LONG drive from where you are.

There's some rock around Alice Springs... we went off-roading for a day and saw some rock formations (though it looked like choss)... other than that I can't help you.

Good luck and enjoy.

slavetogravity

Feb 1, 2005, 7:27 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was wondering if there is any ice climbing in Australia? Where it’s at? Do I need to climb up (mountaineering) or are there places where its just a short hike in?
About 8 years ago I spent a season working at a ski resort called Charlots Pass in the Snowy Mountains of New South Whales. A few km from the resort there was an alpine lake that had a small ice fall the pored into it. People have gon and climbed this thing, but I believe that it's the only ice fall that freezes up on a regular basis in the entire country. It's a bitch of a walk to get to. Better bring your touring gear.

kpalsson

Feb 3, 2005, 1:39 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is ice, but if you go to australia to climb it you're a fool, and a damn fool at that.

There's rock in the top end, but be prepared for very long drives, very dusty/hot conditions and very little development.

You've picked one of the worst places in australia to go and hope to climb. Start liking bouldering real fast.

ryan112ryan

Feb 3, 2005, 1:57 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
There is ice, but if you go to australia to climb it you're a fool, and a damn fool at that.

There's rock in the top end, but be prepared for very long drives, very dusty/hot conditions and very little development.

You've picked one of the worst places in australia to go and hope to climb. Start liking bouldering real fast.

i didn't pick it, my dad's job is there, im most likely going to camp out at the rock for a week or two. as for going to austrailia to climb ice, its the other way around....ill be in australia, and if there is ice i want to go climb it. where specifically is there ice?

kpalsson

Feb 5, 2005, 12:47 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The "alps" in the south east, and presumably back country in tas. Most of that stuff is not reliable enough to go there with a short window. I'm not an expert on australian ice though, and I'm not sure who would be. You could try aus.rec.climbing though.

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook