RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

republiclimber

Feb 16, 2005, 5:19 PM
Post #1 of 17 (3653 views)
Shortcut

video ethics
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I am working on making a bouldering video. I've already got the footage of the problem and have moved into the editing phase. Anyway what are the ethics of videos. I sent the problem twice all the way through, so that I could get two different angles. Then, because i only had one camera person and one camera, i then did several of the moves on by themselves so i could get different angles and close ups. seeing as i have sent the problem, and most of the video will be of the complete sends, with the clips mixed in to show the holds and whatnot, it there a ethics problem? it's not like i didn't send it...

8flood8

Feb 16, 2005, 5:39 PM
Post #2 of 17 (3653 views)
Shortcut

Re: video ethics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yo yo.

we like to see climbing. we like to see the holds.

sure a no-interruptions version of your climb would be great. but it wouldnt tell us how small those crimpers are.

think of sports.

think of instant replay.

have fun with your artistic endeavors. there is no morality in art.

rockprodigy

Feb 16, 2005, 5:41 PM
Post #3 of 17 (3653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

People generally do whatever they want. I see photos in the mags all the time of people on routes they have no chance of sending. It used to be (and for some, still is) that you didn't publish photos of yourself on a route that you haven't redpointed. For videos, you shouldn't show footage of someone on a problem they haven't sent unless you make it clear that they aren't sending...don't patch together frames to create the illusion they sent the thing...it's dishonest. Now, if you've sent the problem or route, pretty much anything goes for the purpose of getting footage. Don't limit yourself to only the footage of sending the problem.

Partner j_ung

Feb 16, 2005, 5:43 PM
Post #4 of 17 (3653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree. As long as you didn't represent the problem as having been sent when it really wasn't, you're in the clear. In fact, you're doing what every upandcoming filmmaker does when they have to make do with one camera. Cut, print, check the gate. :D

mattm

Feb 16, 2005, 5:45 PM
Post #5 of 17 (3653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So I am working on making a bouldering video. I've already got the footage of the problem and have moved into the editing phase. Anyway what are the ethics of videos. I sent the problem twice all the way through, so that I could get two different angles. Then, because i only had one camera person and one camera, i then did several of the moves on by themselves so i could get different angles and close ups. seeing as i have sent the problem, and most of the video will be of the complete sends, with the clips mixed in to show the holds and whatnot, it there a ethics problem? it's not like i didn't send it...

Being a film man myself, i speak from experience, edit those close-ups in. They'll tell the story better - heck, that's what editing is for. Ethics wise, you just want to avoid implying you've done something you haven't - ie film you starting and toping out when you never did the whole thing. Keep in mind most, if not all film is a "Version" of reality. For example - most pictures of ascents in climbing mags are staged AFTER the original climb. They illustrate the event but don't document it.

Bottom line, tell a the best visual story you can but don't intentionally mislead people.

cloudbreak

Feb 16, 2005, 5:58 PM
Post #6 of 17 (3653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ethics Scmethics!!! Your video is your creation......be different.......use your imagination. Or, you could just produce a video like all the rest of the sheep out there who can't seem to stray from the herd.

Set yourself aside from others.....be an individual!

maybeone

Feb 16, 2005, 7:04 PM
Post #7 of 17 (3653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely put the clips in. Underproduction is almost as bad as overproduction. It doesn't matter how authentic your film is if it puts people to sleep. Try to stay somewhere between AFV and MI:2.

republiclimber

Feb 16, 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #8 of 17 (3653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Don't limit yourself to only the footage of sending the problem.
yeah at first i was going to send it for every little shot i wanted, just to keep from a guilty conscience, but after two sends i chucked that... :oops:

republiclimber

Feb 16, 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #9 of 17 (3653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is the problem located @ Lincoln Woods in RI (I saw you're from Warwick)?

no, sad to say but i go to college in Arkansas, so i filmed it at a little local spot, River Side Park, in Searcy. Lincoln woods is sweet stuff though. I'm not trashing Arkansas climbing, it has good stuff (might bump up to horseshoe canyon for spring break) but the culture is somewhat lacking

tenesmus

Feb 16, 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #10 of 17 (3653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you climbing is unethical because you are a republican.

lidosis

Feb 17, 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #11 of 17 (3653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha, there is no ethics, I know a person in one of those climbing calander things and the pic is not even on a real climb, they are just posing down on some boulder. So I guess if you are woried about the existing standard well there is none. Pose away, people don't know the difference as long as it looks cool. For you video I say piece together an impossible send, and let every one think it is real as long as you don't actually say it was a send I think that would fly with peoples ethics today.

But I guess you are looking for guidance with your project. Don't listen to any one on here, including me I don't know what I am talking about any of the time I just like to make stuff up. Oh yeah you, just don't what you think is right its your video man, if you feel ok about lying do it, if you think adding close up shots from a non send do it.

If I mis-spelled anything I don't want to hear about it from you people who hang on here all day looking for spelling errors. Get a life, go climb.

republiclimber

Feb 17, 2005, 2:33 AM
Post #12 of 17 (3653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think you climbing is unethical because you are a republican.
you know you're actually the first person to comment on that. who said i was republican? last time i checked america was a representitive republic...

8flood8

Feb 17, 2005, 6:49 AM
Post #13 of 17 (3653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shhhh..... don't tell people we don't have a democracy!

they might try to stop bush from turning north and south america into an economic slave union... errr trade... yah....

get ready for the mark of the beast in your wrist. the national id card is passing through congress as we speak

sorry for the hijack... it was about the video....

oklahoma_climber

Feb 17, 2005, 8:25 PM
Post #14 of 17 (3653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

not a big deal. i really am a republican though. i'm at college getting ready to be a history teacher

republiclimber

Feb 17, 2005, 8:28 PM
Post #15 of 17 (3653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

not a big deal. i really am a republican though. i'm at college getting ready to be a history teacher
whoops, i was on my roommates computer when i put that in, so i was the one who said "not a big deal..." but i'm not oklahoma_climber

Partner iclimbtoo

Feb 17, 2005, 9:00 PM
Post #16 of 17 (3653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitely show some falls or failed attempts too!

It's great seeing people nail an accomplishment or hit that tough problem in a video, but it's even better to see the work they went through to get there.

The only dirty climbing videos in my mind are the ones I've seen in which few to no falls/mistakes are edited in to make it look like everything is always going smoothly. Show the real.

republiclimber

Feb 18, 2005, 6:17 AM
Post #17 of 17 (3653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Definitely show some falls or failed attempts too!
seems weird to go through all the trouble of filming if you don't know your going to send. to me it seems you should learn it, then film it. i mean i have a little video of me falling off, but i didn't start recording till i had it down cold.
course i do like those vids where it shows them getting a little ways then falling, cutting to start and the going farther etc etc......

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook