RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

outdoorsie

Feb 10, 2005, 4:26 PM
Post #1 of 14 (3073 views)
Shortcut

Personal websites/galleries
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, I've been using Pbase for a couple of years now to post shots of "my adventures" to the web to share with my friends and family. It's worked really well, and I've actually incensed some of my friends to start their own galleries. Unfortunately, Pbase is set up to display photos, and that's pretty much it. There's no blogging features, no areas for text, or trip reports, or adding a resume, or any of the other stuff you might want on a personal website.

So, for several months now I've been occassionally looking at other people's personal sites (usually if somebody posts a link to one as a TR or a photo gallery) for inspiration, but I haven't seen the perfect one yet.

What do you climbing photographers use for your photos and news and trip reports outside of RC.com? Anybody have recommendations for hosting service or code to snatch? I am capable of writing my own code (wrote software for a robotics company for years) but I'm more lazy and would prefer to have a lot of the website pre-made. Any suggestions/links/references would be appreciated!!

xjicex

Feb 10, 2005, 5:44 PM
Post #2 of 14 (3073 views)
Shortcut

Re: Personal websites/galleries [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/

This one isn't bad. I used it for a few hundred pictures.

gunked

Feb 10, 2005, 5:51 PM
Post #3 of 14 (3073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate to say it, but AOL has a pretty easy setup for making websites. Here's mine:

http://www.hometown.aol.com/...yhomepage/index.html

One of the home page links, intentionally, doesn't work. I'm too lazy to delete it. Hope this helps. :roll:

Good Luck :wink:
-Jason :D

knol

Feb 13, 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #4 of 14 (3073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just pull out your trusty css book and make some pretty tables... a photo portfolio is just about the easiest thing in the world to code...

other than that im quite partial to http://www.deviantart.com

it has all the features you need in a free photo album, plus itll give you much more exposure than a small personal homepage... and as far as your gallery's concerned, it doesnt have all the clutter that a lot of the other ones have... http://knold.deviantart.com/gallery/

wes_allen

Feb 16, 2005, 7:33 PM
Post #5 of 14 (3073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am using coppermine as well, with bluehost as the service. Pretty easy to set things up, and onle $9.00 a month.
http://www.knowchaos.com/gallery

Wes

pico23

Feb 17, 2005, 7:34 AM
Post #6 of 14 (3073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ultimately I knew this would turn into a urinating match to see who's photo gallery/blog site was the best just from initial post.

if all you want is a well made site that your friends and family can look at than put a few hours (maybe as little as 1-2) into it and make something you can look back on and be happy with. Otherwise, all you have is a Model T of websites. If you want more exposure, add it to your signature on post, IM's, and emails. People will visit it if they want to. If not, oh well.

I can't say I've really messed with HTML or javascript since probably 1999 because the new HTML editors work fine for basic page creation. But in a lot of ways it took me less time to build a good page (by 1999 standards) than it would take today with a cut and paste program. That said, the cut and paste programs work great and will have a nice looking site complete with forms and multimedia.

There are a lot of free or inclusive web gallery creation tools (Adobe comes with them) that help you get a web gallery on the site. Journals and blogs aren't all that complex to make.

Really once you make an initial trip report page you can use that first page as a template for all the rest saving it as a starting point.

anykineclimb

Feb 17, 2005, 9:56 AM
Post #7 of 14 (3073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been thinking of starting up a small webpage or something too.

Anything pretty easy for the html illiterate?

or is this crap pretty easy to learn.

my current job has a bit of, um, slow time and I'm looking for something useful to fill it with.

xjicex

Feb 17, 2005, 3:42 PM
Post #8 of 14 (3073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

my current job has a bit of, um, slow time and I'm looking for something useful to fill it with.

html can be easy. if you want to get in on it at that level, you'll only need
to learn about 15 tags. If you are more concerend about the presentation then you are learning, I would recomend using a WISIWIG tool like pico23 suggests. Macromedia has two that are free for a month (Dreamweaver and
Fireworks). Both are pretty good. If you want to see and edit the html as you go, Dreamweaver allows you to switch modes. Another tool like that is Homesite.

You can also save documents in MS Word as html, and word will convert it in to a html file for you.

pico23

Feb 17, 2005, 4:08 PM
Post #9 of 14 (3073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Windows machines and/or IE Explorer come with Front Page Express. Most people don't even know it's on there and sometimes IE doesn't link to it in the edit page on your bar unless you direct it to.

Word works just fine. Not sure which is better, word or FP Express. Obviously FP Express is complete designed for just webpages while this is an addin feature of word. However, it works well. The nice thing is you can type up a page in word .doc format and convert it to html with just a save as html command. This works great for trip reports or even Ebay listings.

Basically working with pre made sites is kind of like working with a point and shoot. You can get great results but fine tuning with you own artistic and/or technical input can be difficult. While making your own site with a WISIWIG is more like working with a entry level SLR that lacks some features. If you really want full input and uniqueness you'll probably need a bit more knowledge than the WISIWIG gives you. But I'd say unless your making money on the site WISIWIG will get the job done.

pico23

Feb 17, 2005, 4:20 PM
Post #10 of 14 (3073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

In terms of complexity you can create your entire website on notepad if you know the code. Then it would look like you were actually doing work :lol: instead of web surfing. Thats the complex part, the html and like was said above to your post 15 tags will get you a nice looking site. Nothing fancy but as good as more premade sites. I used to write trip reports on my Apple Newton which was the first PDA. it debuted in 1993, mine was a 1995 model. I used it till 2002 for this task. Draconian by todays standards but functional. With a Palm or Pocket PC (or Apple Newton circ. 1995 but 10 years ahead of its time) you could update from the road via your cell phone if you felt the burning desire.

Otherwise. MS WORD/FP Express should get the job done.

pico23

Feb 17, 2005, 5:18 PM
Post #11 of 14 (3073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I never thought of HTML as being big. Case in point the memory on my Newton was 2Mb onboard with a total of 4Mb of external PC cards. At the time those things were pricey and only came in 1Mb or 2Mb sizes unless you were rich and could afford an a whole 8Mb.

Anyway, simple HTML text logs didn't take up more than a few Kb's each and when I formatted my newton for selling it last month i still had all my logs on it 1998-1999-2000 which was about 120+ trips. All of them were on one PC card along with some other stuff.

Oddly, I love PDF's. And I create them all the time now that I have a PDF creator. But HTML lets you create smaller more interactive files without the need for a big viewer. For Desktop use PDF's are great because they can formated exactly as you want them to be printed and then printed by whoever views them, but in the portable world PDF's are to big and clumsy for upload, and download and they require a special viewer.

Adobe finally released a Pocket PC version of it's PDF reader. Until that point the Portable Document Format was a misnomer because unless you had a big laptop (bigger than most books or printed files) that required being plugged in and took time to boot up you couldn't use the format "portably" now I can via my Pocket PC with no start up time and instant viewing.

Downsides (there always are), the reader is huge. It takes up several megabytes of storage space and it's program memory footprint is just as big when it runs. Nevertheless it's nice and welcome addition.

But PDFs are great option and the format is really one of the best.

roadstead

Feb 19, 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #12 of 14 (3073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
just pull out your trusty css book and make some pretty tables... a photo portfolio is just about the easiest thing in the world to code...

other than that im quite partial to http://www.deviantart.com

it has all the features you need in a free photo album, plus itll give you much more exposure than a small personal homepage... and as far as your gallery's concerned, it doesnt have all the clutter that a lot of the other ones have... http://knold.deviantart.com/gallery/

Very Good Beta Thanks

http://roadstead.deviantart.com/gallery/

mshore

Feb 19, 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #13 of 14 (3073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

More control and less creative = Notepad

Less control and more creative = Frontpage, Dreamweaver, Imageready.

You can host with a domain for less than 15 a month at yahoo.

If you know photoshop - draw the site and cut it up in Imageready - very easy and decent code.

If you want image protection - Use Flash or PDF it.

I did my whole site in notepad - all tables - very easy to understand the code:

http://www.mikeshorephoto.com

~mike

brundige

Feb 21, 2005, 3:53 AM
Post #14 of 14 (3073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

about the dreamweaver for a month thing ive got a autorization code for it and if you pm me ill send it to ya , that way you wont be restricted to just 30 days of coding

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook