RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

sonso45

Mar 3, 2005, 3:34 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1609 views)
Shortcut

Homestead (AZ) access issue???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just heard that access to the Homestead has been closed. Does anyone have any info? Manny

climbsomething

Mar 3, 2005, 8:32 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1609 views)
Shortcut

Re: Homestead (AZ) access issue??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That sounds fishy. The access road is on State Trust Land, which is not public land per se, but the crags are on BLM land, which is. I was there on Saturday and the only thing out of the ordinary was 1) the cattle that had wandered over to the dirt road (I'm guessing this is open range?) and 2) the limestone was seeping from all the rain we've had (though this did provide a very convenient excuse for my failure to flash!).

Granted, my knowledge of public land nuances is murky (so feel free to correct me, somebody), but I do know that the Homestead is not on "private" land as we tend to think of it. State trust land requires at most, I think, a recreational permit, but unless the state sold the parcel containing the road to a private entity in the last few days, I don't think there's a problem.

Why, was there a sign up?

sonso45

Mar 3, 2005, 11:13 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1609 views)
Shortcut

Re: Homestead (AZ) access issue??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend of a friend said it had been closed. Were the cattle gates closed when you passed by? I know the rancher had probs with us crossing his land to El Cap Canyon so you have to get there from below the canyon. He has grazing permit for the homestead and I wanted to check access. Thanks for the feedback. M

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook