RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

justthemaid

Mar 5, 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #1 of 4 (695 views)
Shortcut

harness headaches
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I recently, I decided to climb more. I went from 1 day a week to 2-3 days a week and all of a sudden I've got bursitis in both thighs from my harness. Doctor says no climbing for a while. I had to nix my old harness (it's become a mideval torture device to me), and I've been shopping for a harness that doesn't hurt.

I researched the forums for suggestions,(you guys have discussed womens harnesses already) and went shopping. I must have tried on 20 harnesses. The leg loop design was critical to avoid aggravating the injuries. No elastic, no thin hard staps, no seams or sewn edges on the front of the leg loop. Most of the "women's" harnesses available at my local stores were uncomfortable.

Then the other weird problem. I would find comfey leg loops, but the waist didn't fit. For instance- I would need Med leg loops but a Sm waist band. I didn't want to have to buy 2 harnesses.

I'm no fashion diva, but there was at least one comfortable harness I couldn't buy because it was just so damn ugly.

I finally ended up with a Misty Mountain Cadillac. This is a men's big-wall climbing harness. It has so many belts and loops and gizmos I feel like an orbiting satellite. But it doesn't hurt, and with the REI 20% discount and my dividend check it was affordable. I think I'll cut off the double gear loops.

Anyone else had these problems? What did you do?

Partner philbox

Mar 6, 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #2 of 4 (695 views)
Shortcut

Re: harness headaches [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just went straight to a manufacturer and got them to build me what I wanted. I think that you`d be surprised how aproachable maufacturers are when it comes to this sort of aproach. They want the feedback from their customers. They will only be too happy to have someone come along and give them ideas on what the customer wants. How else will their R&D dept develop new products. I am sure that if you need a product then other people are in similar positions.

angelaa

Mar 8, 2005, 5:52 PM
Post #3 of 4 (695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Misty Mountain Threadworks
makes GREAT harness' and they are a small enough company that if you described your situation they'd find you something that worked or put something together for you!
http://www.mistymountain.com/

justthemaid

Mar 10, 2005, 3:05 AM
Post #4 of 4 (695 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the customizing idea. I'm getting a more reasonable waistband that I can use with the leg loops I already have. I didn't even realize the harness companys would customize.

The injuries are frustrating. I really miss climbing. Doctor says no climbing right now. :cry: :cry: I'm just living vicariously through you guys right now.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook