RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

ropesologuy

Mar 11, 2005, 1:23 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1590 views)
Shortcut

stoves question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has any one tried the copper wire trick for canister stoves and is it wort it or should I just take my dragon fly? Last weekend I bivied near the summit of one of our local mountians around 2000 meters it was very cold and windy and my MSR pocket rocket would not boil water it just made enough heat to melt snow what gives??

rckymntneer

Mar 11, 2005, 2:00 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1590 views)
Shortcut

Re: stoves question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never had a lot of luck with canister stoves at higher elevations. I've used my MSR Whisperlite with white gas up to 14,000 feet and never had a problem with it. It'll boil water within a few minutes.

harrisha

Mar 11, 2005, 2:27 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think altitude was your problem in this case. Although at altitude the pressure in the can could change and mess with the stoves performance. The truth is most canister stoves just don't work well in really cold temps. That said some canister fuels work better than others. I've used my Snow Peak Giga Power (canister style) on trips where the temperature hovered below 10 F the whole time. If you are out in anything below 0 F I'd recomend taking two canisters and keeping the spare in your jacket while using the other. This way you can switch them out ever so often if the performance drops off. I'd also recomend a piece of tough foam to use as a base for insulation. If all else fails you can piss on the canister to warm it up.

Since you said you were melting snow, you'll use a lot of fuel if you haven't already found this out. I'd go ahead and invest in a liquid fuel stove like a whisper light, dragonfly, etc. There a lot on the market. Take the time to investigate and get something suited towards your needs.
Just a few: Whisper Light/ WL International-General use stove, performs well and is easy to repair in the field; Dragonfly-(my other stove) this is for you if your the backcoutry gourmet who likes to disguise his expedition workhorse as a Viking Range (its built on the XGK design); and finally the XGK-no frills expedition stove that will burn hot and fast in conditions where most people would pop a flare.

montaniero

Mar 11, 2005, 12:36 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, canister stoves work better at higer altitude due to pressure differential. It's the cold (usually associated with high altitudes) that kills them.

But unless you live in Britain, 2000m. is not considered high altitude :). It's the cold that's affecting it. I know of people that use the copper tubing system and it enhances performance, but keeping the canister warm (insulated in your clothes, sleeping bag) before cooking also helps.

peterz

Mar 13, 2005, 5:22 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A trick .. put one of those crushable hand warmers under the cannister. It will help with the pressure in the cannister.

adamtd

Mar 16, 2005, 8:27 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a religious MSR Whisperlite user. I've used it everywhere from sea level to over 20,000'; in the rain, sun, and snow; with white gas, unleaded fuel, diesel, kerosene, and white alcohol. Nothing beats it, especially if all you're doing is melting snow and boiling water. I've known several people that have tried the wire for their fuel canisters, and they always ruined their gloves or tent or sleeping bag at teh most inopportune moment, at high elevation, just before teh summit bid. I'm against fuel canister stoves. In teh end though... to each his own!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook