RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

tkambitsch

Mar 13, 2005, 7:32 PM
Post #1 of 2 (936 views)
Shortcut

Rope choices and a 250 lb partner
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My 250 lb. partner and I generally take both of our 10.5 ropes to the crags. When there is more than one pitch or it needs more than a half rope rappel I will drag the second rope.

We are past due in replacing both ropes and are considering twin or half ropes primarily to save weight. Other threads have outlined all the pros and cons of a twin vs. half vs. a full cord with a 6-8mm haul line for rapping. My question: Any special considerations in belaying or rapping on twin rops with a larger partner?

estwing

Mar 13, 2005, 7:58 PM
Post #2 of 2 (936 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rope choices and a 250 lb partner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi there,
If you are falling a lot you will wear out half ropes really fast if you are a big guy. Consider that they use an 80kg weight in testing single ropes, and I believe that the weight is reduced to 50kg for half ropes. I weigh 180 and have recently decided that in the name of longevity I will stick with ropes 10mm and above if repeated falls are likely. If you do go the half rope route go with fat halves, 9mm or so.

Also worth considering is what belay device you currently use. If it is of the regular reverso or atc variety consider switching to something with more friction, reversino, atc-xp, variable controler, bugette.

Good luck

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook