RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

ericulner

Jan 11, 2005, 9:33 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1339 views)
Shortcut

new guidebook, third edition
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Guidebook
Vertical Heartland: A Rock Climber’s Guide to Southern Illinois
3rd Edition
by Eric Ulner

Features:
~328 pages
~Giant City State Park (52 routes)
~Ferne Clyffe State Park (24 routes)
~Draper’s Bluff (71 routes and boulder problems)
~Cedar Bluff (33 routes)
~Jackson Falls (over 315 routes and boulder problems) and the Promised Land (43 routes)
~PlastiCoil binding
~80# glossy paper
~grayscale interior
~color cover (full bleed)
~detailed top-view cliff maps
~many hundreds of images
-cliff wall images for guiding the reader
-climbing images for eye candy, including several images courtesy of Mike Landkroon (http://www.mikelandkroon.com)
~71 pages of a comprehensive history with accompanying images: History section includes a look at the climbing clubs that were producing 99% of the climbers who were at the cliffs of Southern Illinois pre-1980, such as St. Louis Mountain Club (images dating from 1949 forward, courtesy Drs. John Dietschy and Tom Hornbein), Southern Illinois University (SIU) Speleological Society, SIU Shawnee Mountaineers, Evansville Climbing Club, and the Memphis Mountaineers. Much emphasis is placed on the Carbondale scene (images from 1962 forward).

This book is currently at the printer and should be available for shipment to you by early February. It is available for retail exclusively through http://www.verticalheartland.com, where orders (paypal, visa, mc) can be made starting Monday, January 17. And when the weather gets nice, Lukas (my 6-year-old son) may open a lemonade and guidebook stand here at Draper’s Bluff.
Price: $35.95

Cheers y'all.

Eric

illini

Mar 15, 2005, 8:00 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1339 views)
Shortcut

Re: new guidebook, third edition [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Eric, I have been waiting on this guide book since my junoir year at U of I in 2001.

I have just recieved this guide book. It looks great.
Though I no longer live in in So Ill (now in Oregon), I had to buy this for when I visit the parents and the nostalgia. The coil binding makes is nice to keep open on the right route page. I think I would have prefered a actual book binding for durability sake but I understand difficulties in publishing, time will tell if the pages hold up and truth be told it will mostly be sitting on my shelf.

Jason Stowers

xjicex

Mar 15, 2005, 8:52 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thanks Eric, I have been waiting on this guide book since my junoir year at U of I in 2001.

Though I no longer live in in So Ill (now in Oregon), I had to buy this for when I visit the parents and the nostalgia. The coil binding makes is nice to keep open on the right route page. I think I would have prefered a actual book binding for durability sake but I understand difficulties in publishing, time will tell if the pages hold up and truth be told it will mostly be sitting on my shelf.

Jason Stowers

I was just thinking today about when/if my copy was going to come. I guess I should expect it soon. :D

ericulner

Mar 16, 2005, 12:07 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Jason Stowers

The 1st edition was wire/crimp bound, which led to pages falling out. The second edition was Smythe stitched, a very bombproof binding where the pages are all sewn together. I had a lot of negative comments from people over the years about the stitch binding because you cannot fold the book back onto itself for easy one-handed carrying. I think the Plasti-Coil on the new edition is the best binding method for a field guide. It was a bit more expensive, but well worth it. Retailers don't tend to like this type of binding, though, as the book has no spine for shelf display. But that doesn't matter as I'm hoarding the books anyway for my web site.

e

xjicex

Mar 16, 2005, 3:30 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Magically when I got home my copy was sitting in my mailbox. I spent at least 3 hours lastnight reading it over. good stuff, i really look forward to climbing in so ill. in the months to come. Thanks for the quality guide, Eric.

Joe

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook