RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

estwing

Mar 23, 2005, 3:22 AM
Post #1 of 11 (2040 views)
Shortcut

spray painting gear, problems?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi there,
I am planning on going on an extended road trip, and in preparation for climbing with lots of different people I am looking for a quick and permanent (or semi permanent) way to conspicuously mark my gear. Tape doesn't cut it, so I was thinking of blasting all my biners and nuts with spray paint. Can anyone relate any problems that they have had with this technique? Would you fear to do this to your cams (keeping the slings well covered)?

Thanks,

jackhammer

Mar 23, 2005, 3:29 AM
Post #2 of 11 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Re: spray painting gear, problems? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would not do it for fear of degrading the equipment.

On an unrelated note, I'm going to be in Montreal from 18 June to 1 July and I'm looking for someone to climb with. Do you know anyone who might be interested. French is no problem, and I lived there for 20 years so I know my way around. PM me if you know of anyone. I'm looking at the Val David area.

Partner tattooed_climber

Mar 23, 2005, 3:35 AM
Post #3 of 11 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've seen gyms do this to ATCs, GRI GRIs and BINERS.....

first of all it will scartch off but youre not that stupid...

painting gear.......first of all....if anything, USE NAIL POLISH!!!!!!!....trust me....works good!....i only tried it once (on a bailer) after i heard it from a dude i use to work with.....

if you are using spray paint...::

PROTECT WEBBING AND SLINGS

LIMIT TO A PART NOT ALL

REMEMBER THAT TOO MUCH OR TEARS CAN HARDEN PARTS AND CUASE THEM TO BE STIFF, OR REALLY FKED UP! (moving parts of cams, spring action of biners, etc)

the rest is common sense.....

try the nail polish first....

treenail

Mar 23, 2005, 3:40 AM
Post #4 of 11 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been spray painting my hard gear for years. How can paint degrade metal?

When I was at the hardware store looking at the rack of colors I couldn't decide. Florescent to make things stand out. No, too dorky and lots of people do that. Needed a distinctive color. Hey, why not PINK! Since I climb mostly with guys I figured that using pink, The Manly Man color would keep things straight. It's worked. Makes it really easy to divy up gear at the end of the day :)

Most of the paint rubs off the smooth parts of the gear. But it always is down in the corners or etchings. It doesn't take much tell tale paint to see pink.

Tom

treenail

Mar 23, 2005, 3:41 AM
Post #5 of 11 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been spray painting my hard gear for years. How can paint degrade metal?

When I was at the hardware store looking at the rack of colors I couldn't decide. Florescent to make things stand out. No, too dorky and lots of people do that. Needed a distinctive color. Hey, why not PINK! Since I climb mostly with guys I figured that using pink, The Manly Man color would keep things straight. It's worked. Makes it really easy to divy up gear at the end of the day :)

Most of the paint rubs off the smooth parts of the gear. But it always is down in the corners or etchings. It doesn't take much tell tale paint to see pink. There's no need to paint to the point of dripping. Just a light dusting.

Tom

skinner

Mar 23, 2005, 3:50 AM
Post #6 of 11 (2040 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have taped, painted, engraved.. and was getting sick of re-marking my gear to the point of giving up until I discovered "TYVEK LABELS". I got a few samples from the local printer and abused the hell out of them with virtually no effect to the labels. This stuff is meant to be indestructible, it's water-proof and does not tear. So I whipped up a small label design in the color pattern I have been taping and painting on my gear, with the addition of my name in micro letters and emailed it to them. I'll be picking up my 250 labels next week

http://www.canadaticket.com/tyvek.html

din

Mar 23, 2005, 6:20 AM
    Post #7 of 11 (2040 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

metallic krylon works great on ropes, providing you only paint 30 cm stripes every 2m. also, if you spraypaint your nuts that's fine, but your crotch will smell like turpentine for a couple weeks after every trip. hurfblurf.

piton

Mar 23, 2005, 1:32 PM
    Post #8 of 11 (2040 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

like tat said use nail polish

overlord

Mar 23, 2005, 1:52 PM
    Post #9 of 11 (2040 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

well, if you keep the paint off the soft and moving parts (like removing slings from draws and stuff, protecting the camming mechanisms) you should be just fine.

wlderdude

Mar 24, 2005, 2:00 AM
    Post #10 of 11 (2040 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

The best solution I have found for biners and nuts is heat shrinkable tubing. You get it at electrical supply places. Slip it over the spline of the biner or nut and heat it with a cigarette lighter.

About the only "normal use" way it comes off is when used as a carabiner break.

I started putting it on my biners over 4 years ago, and most of the origional heatshrink is still going strong.

Just don't use red and blue if you plan to climb with me.

Paint never seemed to stand out on my cams. I put small red cable ties on out of the way parts of my cams. That was shortly before moving to Texas where my trad rack sits idle, so I can't comment on how well they hold up or stay out of the way. They stand out much better than any coating, though.

The one place I found red paint kind of nice is marking the "unlocked zone" of my locking biners Petzl fassion. A red paint pen works nicely.

esallen

Mar 24, 2005, 2:08 AM
    Post #11 of 11 (2040 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

I've been spray-painting my gear for several years now. It does not damage the gear, but it wears off quickly. Tape is better in my opinion.

Eric

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
    Password: Remember me:

Go Register
    Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook