Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

hillbillywannabe

Mar 21, 2005, 8:15 PM
Post #1 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

good film slr?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i am new here, so hello. my parents are going to get me an slr for my birthday and was wanting some advice on what to get. it needs to be around $400 (1with a lens) and farley durable. any input would be great

Thanks, scott

chanceboarder

Mar 21, 2005, 8:35 PM
Post #2 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Re: good film slr? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

personally i'm a nikon person. i love my N80 and find that it has all the features you could want. i also shot with the F100 and have used the F5 a few time but they're way out of the price range you're looking for. you can get an N80 with a 28-80 f/3.5-5.6 lense for $400 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/...=&sku=215044&is=GREY i've taken it out to the crag and done some shooting with it and find its plenty durable and light enough to work with in the field without any problems.

feel free to PM me if you any any questions about it.

cheers,
jason

hillbillywannabe

Mar 21, 2005, 9:41 PM
Post #3 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

does anyone have any opinions about the canon eos elan 7 n (ne\e)?

cman

Mar 21, 2005, 9:57 PM
Post #4 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going to have to 2nd the Nikon f80 but I would recommend starting with a 50mm lenses because it is sharper and has a larger maximum aperture. Go for the one with the window it is made in Japan not China.

craig
www.eclecticwoodworking.com

atarinaper

Mar 21, 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #5 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a canon guy... but either a nikon or a canon is a great choice for either.

check out used stuff also, http://www.keh.com you can get hooked up with an elan II and lense for really cheap, which will allow you to get an even better lense.

get the 50mm 1.8 and maybe a wide angle zoom? 28-80mm?

id go with this if i were you...

http://www.keh.com/...ID=N&curpic=0&dpsp=0

and maybe after a while youll be able to save for one of these:

everything here is realistic, i could have listed some L glass on there, but im not going to be unrealistic for you.

same goes for the nikon stuff, it just depends on what feels good.

have a good one,
andrew

johnhemlock

Mar 21, 2005, 11:49 PM
Post #6 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
does anyone have any opinions about the canon eos elan 7 n (ne\e)?

I have the Elan 7e with the Canon 28-105 lens. It's my general all-purpose travel camera and should be close to your price range from Adorama or B&H. Don't waste the extra $$ on the eye focus feature - I've never used it. The body is plastic so you'll need to go easy on it but compared to most digital bodies it's like steel. I've been happy with the performance - I shoot mostly slides (velvia and kodachrome) and scan the occasional ego shot.

The only other SLRs I've used are the old high school yearbook cameras, so I can't comment on Canon versus the new Nikons. But I've been happy with mine - I spend lots of time in the cold and it hasn't failed me yet.

pico23

Mar 21, 2005, 11:51 PM
Post #7 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If your not opposed to buying something used. And you can buy reputable used cameras with a 60day warranty I'd look at the Nikon N90. i've yet to be disappointed with the used stuff i've bought (NOT on EBAY) from good camera shops. It can be had for under $300 (really closer to 200) and it's quite a good camera. that or an f4 would be my choice right now if i was starting a film system from scratch. the F100 and f5 are awesome cameras but at a substantially higher cost even used.

the n80 is a decent camera but it's not a pro model. however, it has some features that even the n90 doesn't have. but since it's a consumer camera the build quality will be a little lower for long term abuse. the upside of the N80 is that it is lighter and has a built in flash.

So for 400-500 you can definitely get an n90 and a very good used lens.

i'd personally stay away from canon. there lens system is limiting. on a nikon you have the capability on many cameras to use much older lenses with newer cameras. with canon you are stuck with the EOS lens mount. not a bad mount to be stuck with but the nikon mount offers more options, especially if you are on a budget and willing to use older manual lenses. but the beauty is being able to switch easily between various bodies from older MF to modern digital using a single lens system.

hillbillywannabe

Mar 21, 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #8 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have seen keh before and i like them. they have good prices and pretty good stuff. what about the rebel series by canon or the n75 (nikon)

hillbillywannabe

Mar 21, 2005, 11:57 PM
Post #9 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the n 80 is looking like it might be a winner. my dad was saying something about " f stops" what is it and what kind am i looking for when buying a lens?

atarinaper

Mar 22, 2005, 1:09 AM
Post #10 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pick up a nikon n80 or canon elan 7 with a 50mm f1.8 and a zoom.

trust me, buy both.

heres a good tutorial on making photographs, read it.

http://photo.net/...n/making-photographs

piton

Mar 22, 2005, 1:44 PM
Post #11 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

www.dpreview.com

melekzek

Mar 22, 2005, 11:53 PM
Post #12 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keh.com is great, i second (third, whatever)...
For bouldering shots, i would go with a wide angle (<24)
For roped shots, tele would be a good idea (>100)
50mm prime is cheap (~50-80$), and great for shallow DOF shots, and street or lowlight photog.
for lightweight traveling or hiking with only one lens, go with a zoom (at least 28-105)

Partner brent_e

Mar 23, 2005, 12:13 AM
Post #13 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

F80 is a good camera. I've had it out and about and it's pretty durable and works nicely. The kit lense isn't too bad... (if you are picky, stop down a bit - f/8 or so). I would second grabbing a 50 1.8...so cheap. I have not shot with it, but have seen results.

Some great resources:

[www.bythom.com]

Thom Hogan's site. Great info on all nikon bodies with lense info.

[http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html]

Under lenses...an incredilbe resource for lenses both old and new and exotic.

buckforester

Mar 23, 2005, 5:59 AM
Post #14 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I shoot with a Canon Elan 7. I love it... I think it's the best value in a film camera out there. You can get the body for $400 or less, but I would recommend not getting the cheap Canon glass. Stay away from those packaged kit lenses. They el sucko.

bldr

Mar 23, 2005, 6:17 AM
Post #15 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been very happy with my canon a2e (eos 5), I personally like the speed and feel of the camera.

The canons are good the nikons that have been mentioned are good, as are many of the minolta and pentax cameras.

I would highly recommend looking for a good deal/low cost body, ie somehting a few or many years old, and spend the extra $$ on some quality glass. I think you will find that lens quality is a bigger factor with film than the body itself.

atarinaper

Mar 23, 2005, 6:39 AM
Post #16 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have been very happy with my canon a2e (eos 5), I personally like the speed and feel of the camera.

The canons are good the nikons that have been mentioned are good, as are many of the minolta and pentax cameras.

I would highly recommend looking for a good deal/low cost body, ie somehting a few or many years old, and spend the extra $$ on some quality glass. I think you will find that lens quality is a bigger factor with film than the body itself.

do not buy a minolta or pentax, no offense to anyone that shoots with them, but under todays standards they cannot keep up with the demands of most shooters. If you ever plan on going digital in anyway shape or form of a DSLR invest in a canon or nikon system. Pentax and Minolta are on their way out, and i hate to say this but their film sales will most likely deminish within the next 4-5 years.

grammarian101

Mar 23, 2005, 11:54 PM
Post #17 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do it like we did in the good old days (and I still do) Pentax k1000 (metal body, pre-chineese manufacture) 3 lenses 28, 50, and an 80-200. Nothing automatic to screw with. Just you, your camera, and a plethora of knowledge to get the right shot BEFORE pulling the trigger.

tnchief

Mar 24, 2005, 12:22 AM
Post #18 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
do not buy a minolta or pentax, no offense to anyone that shoots with them, but under todays standards they cannot keep up with the demands of most shooters. If you ever plan on going digital in anyway shape or form of a DSLR invest in a canon or nikon system. Pentax and Minolta are on their way out, and i hate to say this but their film sales will most likely deminish within the next 4-5 years.

I happen to have a Minolta Maxxum QTi and I absolutely love it. I have been taking pictures for years and was exceptionally impressed with its ability to take great pictures. I plan on soon upgrading to the new digital version of that camera which just so happens to be lens compatible. So far, it has gotten great reviews, as good or better than that of the Canon EOS or the Nikon D70 (which are great cameras by the way; I have friends with both). Duh, atarinaper, ALL "film sales will most likely deminish [sic] within the next 4-5 years." Most people are going digital. :roll:

atarinaper

Mar 24, 2005, 12:48 AM
Post #19 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I happen to have a Minolta Maxxum QTi and I absolutely love it. I have been taking pictures for years and was exceptionally impressed with its ability to take great pictures. I plan on soon upgrading to the new digital version of that camera which just so happens to be lens compatible. So far, it has gotten great reviews, as good or better than that of the Canon EOS or the Nikon D70 (which are great cameras by the way; I have friends with both). Duh, atarinaper, ALL "film sales will most likely deminish [sic] within the next 4-5 years." Most people are going digital. :roll:

if you are going to quote me, please quote me right. I stated that minolta and pentax's film sales will deminish in the next 4-5 years. And if you dont want to accept the facts, maybe you should start to do some research on these companies. Guess who sold the most film and digital cameras last year? Canon did, with nikon in second. If you take notice to minolta has been working, they have disscontinued a few models of film bodies and are not considering making anymore, according the minolta rep i talked too a few months ago. They are soley trying to focus on digital, hense the reason they released the minolta maxxum 7d. Pentax is also in the same boat, why do you think no pros even take a look at what these companies have to offer, mainly because in the long run they dont have anything to offer.

Film is no way near on its way out mainly because of the quality that you can get from medium format and even a 35mm slide. Take a look at the fashion industry, most are shooting medium and large format in the studio. It is getting close though, and with all the work with full frame sensors from canon, and the consistancy of nikon and their APS-C sensors, and their digital specific lenses the quality is becoming amazing.

Partner brent_e

Mar 24, 2005, 1:22 AM
Post #20 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

if you are going to quote me, please quote me right. I stated that minolta and pentax's film sales will deminish in the next 4-5 years. And if you dont want to accept the facts, maybe you should start to do some research on these companies. Guess who sold the most film and digital cameras last year? Canon did, with nikon in second. If you take notice to minolta has been working, they have disscontinued a few models of film bodies and are not considering making anymore, according the minolta rep i talked too a few months ago. They are soley trying to focus on digital, hense the reason they released the minolta maxxum 7d. Pentax is also in the same boat, why do you think no pros even take a look at what these companies have to offer, mainly because in the long run they dont have anything to offer.

Film is no way near on its way out mainly because of the quality that you can get from medium format and even a 35mm slide. Take a look at the fashion industry, most are shooting medium and large format in the studio. It is getting close though, and with all the work with full frame sensors from canon, and the consistancy of nikon and their APS-C sensors, and their digital specific lenses the quality is becoming amazing.

atarinaper,
I think it can easily be said that DSLR's have 35mm film slr's wooped in just about every category regarding output. I also think that DSLR's woop 35mm film slr's for control of output(ease of postprocessing in digital darkroom). I would say for most peoples needs (MOST people), that a 6MP DSLR would be more than enough (although certain pros swore by the D1h -2.6MP- over the d1x -5.7MP - and again the D2h -4MP - over the d1x). Personally, i wouldn't pick up a film body unless i knew i was going to be away from a power outlet for more than 3/4 days.

Best

Brent

atarinaper

Mar 24, 2005, 1:36 AM
Post #21 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

very true brent, and as much as i love my DSLR... there are a few lighting situations that i usually am placed in while on a shoot where film, truely is my only option.

plus there is nothing like going and picking up some velvia slides from the lab and seeing the beautiful saturation in my colors.

rongoodman

Mar 26, 2005, 5:32 PM
Post #22 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anticipating Alaska Range cold weather, I got a Nikon FM3a for my trip to the Ruth last year. I certainly didn't need a manual body for the very warm temps we encountered, but the camera worked well and I'd take it again. I just dialed in +1.7 stops of compensation to whiten the snow and left it alone. Most of my slides(Provia 100F) were exposed properly, with a few on the too light side. You can get an external battery pack for it which will let you keep the batteries warm in your clothes if it's really bitter out. I had a 50 and 75-150 zoom with me, but left the 24 on it for the most part.

flhoodoo

Mar 26, 2005, 6:08 PM
Post #23 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have a canon eos elan 7 and it has been good to me. i've dropped it a few times and it still works. i've taken it backpacking wrapped in a bandana, had dirt and sand spilled on it, had cola spilled on it, and many other misfortunes. it still works like new. i recommend it

kpb

Mar 26, 2005, 7:14 PM
Post #24 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

keh.com is a great and safe place to buy stuff. A manual Nikon with a 50mm prime lens is a fantastic starter camera.

I'm going to disagree with some others about Pentax. You can get a Pentax ZX-M body new for well under 200 dollars. There are a million 50mm 1.8 lens around used, like from keh.com or B&H. That makes a nice, affordable, travel camera.

If you want automation, the Nikon N80 or the Cannon whatevers are fine. Avoid the bottom of the line models with the pernicious one-wheel controls. Also avoid the cheap consumer zooms and stick with a fast prime lens.

Ignore the Digital vs. Film debate and shoot whatever works for you. Digital's great, film is great. There are advantages to both.

rongoodman

Mar 26, 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #25 of 27 (5227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree that keh.com is a good place to buy used gear. That 75-150 zoom I mentioned was in perfect shape.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook