RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

bigsexy_84

Mar 30, 2005, 1:37 PM
Post #1 of 16 (4027 views)
Shortcut

Any one from Georgia?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey yall I am new to the site and I was just wondering if there were any climbers in georgia. I have been climbing for about two or three years but only in the summer when I go out to my dads place in CO. I want to start climbing more but I have not found any one here at school that I want to climb with. I get along with most anyone and I can climb 5.9s cofortably. I am NOT good with lead climbing yet. I would also like to know if any one knows of any good places to climb or go bouldering. Thanx

roambb1

Mar 30, 2005, 1:56 PM
Post #2 of 16 (4027 views)
Shortcut

Re: Any one from Georgia? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Big Sexy :shock:
I live in DC now, but was born and raised in Georgia. I think that you are around Dalonegah, so you are fairly close to some great climbing. To your north and East, you have Granite (Mt. Yonah, where the Rangers train) good easy to moderate leading if you don't mind a little exposure, and to your west (all around the Chattanooga Area) you have amazing sandstone boulders and crags. Check out Rocktown on this website under the Routes Database section, it is your best bet for close bouldering, and in my opinion is one of the best bouldering spots on the East Coast. Rocktown is on top of Pigeon Mountain, near Lafayette GA (to your west). Horse Pens 40 (this is in Alabama, but probably only a couple of hours from you) is also great bouldering. Not much toproping that I know of, but if you can lead, Tallulah Gorge has some incredible trad lines, and the Tennessee Wall and other Chattanooga TN crags are amazing.
Best of luck, and enjoy, let me know if you need more details.
BB

PS: Your screen name would make my Brother in law proud. He is a bona-fide, genuine, and self proclaimed "Neck".
Take care

bigjohnny

Mar 30, 2005, 2:15 PM
Post #3 of 16 (4027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a Georgia boy too. Pretty new to climbing, but getting better everyday. We've got plenty around here, it just takes 2 hours to get to most of it. If you're near Atlanta then you can always head over to Boat Rock for some Bouldering, I'll be there this Saturday morning. Other options include Rocktown, Tulullah Gorge, and a few little places spread around like AllenBrook. We've also got a great couple of gyms. I'm a member at Atlanta Rocks and I love it, but I hear great things about Escalade and WallCrawlers too. Let me know if you wanna get together and climb. Basicly we've got plenty of options, but it' all about 2 hours away.

tgandee

Mar 30, 2005, 2:18 PM
Post #4 of 16 (4027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in Georgia - Atlanta area -- I hit the TN crags around Chattanooga -- like Foster Falls. It has has tons of routes at all levels and is hidden in the shade for good spring/summer climbing. Boat Rock is west of Atlanta and is great bouldering on granite. This site has all the routes you need for the SE and Atlanta has a couple gyms that have open communities.

justsaynototake

Mar 30, 2005, 2:32 PM
Post #5 of 16 (4027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey there,
I live in Atlanta and I go to Wallcrawlers. The climbing community in Atlanta is pretty solid and very nice for the most part. Of course that is the trend anywhere you decide to go. So Wallcrawlers is in Little 5 points and there is an Atlanta Rocks in Midtown and one North of Atlanta just outside the perimeter. If you decide to go to Wallcrawlers I know there is a large group of people that go on Tuesdays and Thursdays if you are looking to meet good people.

dt_v15

Mar 30, 2005, 3:44 PM
Post #6 of 16 (4027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Dude,
I ain't in Georgia, but get down there sometimes(never climbed there). I'm lookin for people and places to climb with at/in Virginia. I'm pretty new to climbing, but its cool as hell so far.
Peace, and if you know anywhere to bolder in VA, let me know.
DT
This is my 1st official post 8^)

tenesmus

Mar 30, 2005, 4:06 PM
Post #7 of 16 (4027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey there,
I live in Atlanta and I go to Wallcrawlers. The climbing community in Atlanta is pretty solid and very nice for the most part. Of course that is the trend anywhere you decide to go. So Wallcrawlers is in Little 5 points and there is an Atlanta Rocks in Midtown and one North of Atlanta just outside the perimeter. If you decide to go to Wallcrawlers I know there is a large group of people that go on Tuesdays and Thursdays if you are looking to meet good people.
Hey - will you please give Zach a shout out from redheaded Clay. I climbed there for a year or two after he opened. Alas, the commute to the T-Wall wore me out and now I live about 5 minutes from Little Cottonwood. Let him know I have a spare apartment style bedroom if he ever wants to hit it out here.

justsaynototake

Mar 30, 2005, 4:18 PM
Post #8 of 16 (4027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

right on

Partner cliffhanger9

Mar 30, 2005, 7:40 PM
Post #9 of 16 (4027 views)
Shortcut

cliffhanger9 moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cliffhanger9 moved this thread from Beginners to US - South.

gasouthernclimber

Mar 30, 2005, 9:09 PM
Post #10 of 16 (4027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm the president of Ga Southern's climbing club, and we tend to use Sand Rock in Alabama and Lost Wall on Pigeon Mountain.

Climb on,
Wes

bigsexy_84

Mar 30, 2005, 9:38 PM
Post #11 of 16 (4027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,
Thanx for the help next time I get an open weekend I will go try some of the places.

Bigsexy

P.S. Your brother is a good man!!

loopsnew

Mar 31, 2005, 9:48 PM
Post #12 of 16 (4027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi. I'm here in Atlanta and a total noob, 1st post actually :oops: Jeff from REI pointed me this way after my purchasing my first set of rock climbing shoes last night! Jeff, if you're here, thank you for all your help and the quick Climbing 101!

I'm very excited to get started! Always was the kid climbing trees; now maybe I can get some of my youth back :)

Cheers and happy, safe climbing :)
:noosh

kingjawsh

Mar 31, 2005, 10:09 PM
Post #13 of 16 (4027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm not from georgia.. but i'm gonna be down there as of tommorow at rocktown...

bigsexy_84

Apr 2, 2005, 2:43 AM
Post #14 of 16 (4027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey yall.
I just wanted to thank yall for all the help. I will try and get to all of these places next weekend, maybe I will see some of ya around.

BigSexy

ginerbiner

Apr 6, 2005, 12:52 AM
Post #15 of 16 (4027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out www.seclimbers.org

They climbing gyms are:
Adrenaline Climbing
Atlanta Rocks Intown
Atlanta Rocks Perimeter
Escalades
Wallcrawlers
and some YMCAs and Universities have walls.

The crags are all over the place. Again, check out the above site for specific areas and finding a partner.

Welcome to Dixie!! :D

Partner signmanzdk

Aug 1, 2005, 3:16 AM
Post #16 of 16 (4027 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey buddy,
I live in the Atlanta area. I'm always looking for someone to go do some local bouldering and climbing. I also look for a partner to go climb some day trips. If you wanna climb, send me a message.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook