Can't Post

You're leading me astray!
Over hills and mountains,
and to Americaeeeeeeee
You're sweeter, stronger, decenter
You're spunkier than teaaaaaa,
OH Whisky yer me-darlin'
Drunk or soooooober.

Since we seem to have an awful lot of whisky appreciaters here, I'm curious to find out what everyone's favorite and least favorites have been. That, and I need suggestions for new samplings ;)

My favorite so far is The MacAllan 18yo. I haven't tried the 25yo, yet. A little pricey for me ;) The MacAllan cask strength was OK when drunk with water, but not as good as the 12yo.

I'll always have a soft spot for The Balvenie DoubleWood. It's a 12yo that's very easy to drink...a little too easy *shudder*

My least favorite has been Ardbeg 12yo. It tasted like drinking a campfire. I'm all for smoky flavors, but this was ridiculous. A friend described it as tasting like bacon. Very odd.

Not a big fan of the Oban. In fact I flat out don't like it.

I've tasted and enjoyed Talisker, Cragganmore, Dalwhinnie, Lagavulin, and a couple of others, but more research is definately in order ;)

-Joe

Partner taualum23

Apr 6, 2005, 2:25 PM
Post #2 of 18 (519 views)
Shortcut

Re: Whisky you're the devil [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

RC.COM whisky gathering!!!!!!!
SOmebody start a poll!

marcallain

Apr 6, 2005, 3:08 PM
Post #3 of 18 (519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm single malts.

My fav would have to Laphroaig 10yo. Not the most expensive one out there but it seems to be the one that enjoy most.

I have bottles of Cragganmore 12yo, Macallan 12yo, Glenlivet 16yo, Balvenie Doublewood 12yo which I all enjoy immensely.

Even tasted the Macallan 25yo (just once) and it's a shame that it's so expensive because it's damn good!!

Sampled countless others...

Man I wish I was home because I'd pour me a glass right now. Neat of course ;) Damn work!

Partner tradman

Apr 6, 2005, 3:19 PM
Post #4 of 18 (519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

O Whisky! soul o plays an pranks!
Accept a Bardie's gratefu thanks!
When wanting thee, what tuneless cranks
Are my poor verses!
Thou comes - they rattle i' their ranks
At ither's arses!

- Rabbie Burns

I'm not adverse to a wee dram from time to time. I've got a bit of a soft spot for the trendy new finished whiskies - Glenmorangie Port and Madeira Wood finish and Balvenie Doublewood are good - but mostly I'd go for a Laphroig, Macallan, Talisker or Highland Park.

There are a few others I like, but even though I'm pretty sure whisky's cheaper here than over there, I have to limit my tastes for the sake of my wallet!

:wink:

Partner taualum23

Apr 6, 2005, 3:29 PM
Post #5 of 18 (519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, I haven't been to a Burns supper in too long.

I'm moving at the moment, and actually have my entire collection in the car. 14 open bottles and another dozen or so "cellared" items.

I hope to share it with you all sometime.

Nostalgia...Maybe a day in the gunks, or whatever local crag is around you, followed by a dram or three?

Partner nostalgia

Apr 6, 2005, 3:34 PM
Post #6 of 18 (519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm all for it. The Gunks are just over 90 minutes from my house. We've also got Allamuchy cliffs for some lightweight toproping, or the Delaware water gap about 45 minutes away.

My in-laws are on 10 acres and love guests, so we could always camp out in their backyard.

-Joe

feralcat

Apr 6, 2005, 4:28 PM
Post #7 of 18 (519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

!auchentoshen! she rocks like nothing else.

Partner wideguy

Apr 6, 2005, 4:37 PM
Post #8 of 18 (519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm moving at the moment, and actually have my entire collection in the car. 14 open bottles and another dozen or so "cellared" items.

Where exactly is your car parked again?

Partner taualum23

Apr 6, 2005, 4:40 PM
Post #9 of 18 (519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Woohoo! One of my personal favorites is a bottle of Auchentoshan 1975 cask strength that I have open right now. The nose straight is simply brilliant, and with a touch of water, brought to maybe 70 proof, the nose opens up in a wonderful way that needs to be nosed to be believed.
THe only problem with nosing it thus is that it prefers to be in the mouth just a little stronger than it likes to be nosed. Funny how non chill filtered whisky can get so testy. But SO good.

Man, is anybody else getting thirsty? Maybe a lunch trip to Morton's is in order. I was going to work out, but scotch and a cigar is like a workout...right?

Partner taualum23

Apr 6, 2005, 4:42 PM
Post #10 of 18 (519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Where exactly is your car parked again?

Wouldn't you like to know. I'll give you a hint. It is in Hartford CT, and there is a guard. That reminds,, me though, I'm not going to Morton's, I'm going to my CAR for lunch.

Partner wideguy

Apr 7, 2005, 2:32 AM
Post #11 of 18 (519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whiskey is Good.

padge

Apr 7, 2005, 9:41 PM
Post #12 of 18 (519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whiskey is God!
Although Single Malts are great, I am not a whiskey bigot. I like a little Paddy in pub followed by a Kilkenny on a rainy afternoon in Kerry. Or maybe more than a little Jack Daniels (commemorative bottle of coarse) on a hillside in Lynchburg. Or a whole lot of Canadian Club at the Crow Bar in Shoshone. Ohh the memories! Sweet sweet water of life.

Partner nostalgia

Apr 7, 2005, 10:07 PM
Post #13 of 18 (519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, I'll take a blend, but it's got to be in a dry Rob Roy or in a Scotch n soda.

I wish I could remember the comedian to credit him with it. It was probably the drunk from Blue Collar Comedy:
"I like my women like I like my Scotch. 12 years old and mixed up with Coke."

-Joe

Partner taualum23

Apr 7, 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #14 of 18 (519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yea, I'll take a blend, but it's got to be in a dry Rob Roy or in a Scotch n soda.

I wish I could remember the comedian to credit him with it. It was probably the drunk from Blue Collar Comedy:
"I like my women like I like my Scotch. 12 years old and mixed up with Coke."

-Joe

Blended whisky is OK, but IMHO tends to be rather generic and overpriced. If a place has nothing else, I'll take a JW black rocks, but real scotch (single malts) I tend to only drink neat.

As for mixing with coke, maybe a generic bourbon, but if anybody ever tries to mix good scotch with coke in my house, there will be trouble. Drink it how you like it, but don't make it suffer....

Partner tattooed_climber

Apr 7, 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #15 of 18 (519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and so i start the PSALM JD!...

JACK DANIELS IS THE DEVIL!...
and...
HIS WHISKEY IS THE SWEET - SWEET - SWEET NECTOR OF EVIL!...

Partner wideguy

Apr 8, 2005, 1:21 AM
Post #16 of 18 (519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As for mixing with coke, maybe a generic bourbon, but if anybody ever tries to mix good scotch with coke in my house, there will be trouble. Drink it how you like it, but don't make it suffer....

Single malt tends to not be all that good mixed, IMHO. Rocks, MAYBE a little water if I'm feeling wimpy.

But BOURBON and coke, Give me a splash of Coke with that JD or Makers Mark....MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM Good. :D 8^)

Partner nostalgia

Apr 8, 2005, 2:14 AM
Post #17 of 18 (519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, single malt always stands on its own. I've found a little water can change the character of some whiskys - usually for the better - which is why I've taken to drinking mine with an ice cube.

-Joe

anykineclimb

Apr 8, 2005, 4:26 AM
Post #18 of 18 (519 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ever since my best friend brought me back a bottle of Bushmills Single Malt from Amsterdam, I haven't looked at whiskey the same way.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook