RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

cyanamid

Apr 9, 2005, 12:54 AM
Post #1 of 15 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Between the .5 and .75 Camalots.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, I have a few extra bucks and a pretty good rack.

I would like something extra between the .5 and .75 camalots. I prefer single stem cams. Who else has an extra cam between those sizes? Which one is it? An Alien, a Tech Friend? What size or color seems to fill the gap best?

C'mon, I know you guys love to spout off about gear, so gimme your best shot. :P

Partner hosh

Apr 9, 2005, 1:00 AM
Post #2 of 15 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Re: Between the .5 and .75 Camalots. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's the red alien, if I'm not mistaken. I love all my aliens, they're the best thing on my rack...

cyanamid

Apr 9, 2005, 1:06 AM
Post #3 of 15 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually have a red Alien. It is a great cam, but its about the same size as .5 Camalot, I think the orange might be just a bit to big? I'm also not entirely sure about the floppy stems above the red. If it'll fill the gap, I'm not dead set against a U-stem, like a Metolius, but I sure would like to stay with the single stems.

Partner hosh

Apr 9, 2005, 1:17 AM
Post #4 of 15 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why not try one of Trango's new Max cms? They're pretty fly looking. Haven't tried them yet but they look sweet...

I think it would be the .5? I don't know, you'd have to check on that...

Try here:http://trango.com/pages/moremax.php

hosh.

Partner gunksgoer

Apr 9, 2005, 1:30 AM
Post #5 of 15 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ah, yes. ive often wondered about this particular size. the .5 camalot is the same size as the red alien, and the .75 is basically the same as the orange alien (the alien might be a mm or two larger). the only size i can think of is the red metolius 4. its a bit larger than the .5 bd, but its a u stem. there might be a tech friend in that range as well, but im not sure as i dont use tech friends down that small.

I believe that theyre is a bit of a demand for another new alien size, between the red and orange wich would be the perfect piece for this situation. id really want one too. the aliens have a small design change from the red to the orange and above, in order to facilitate the larger sizes, wich leaves a small gap. in order to fill this i was considering getting the red metolius, but im not a huge u stem fan either. so, id either go for the metolius, or pray for a new alien size. also, if you are worried about the floppiness of larger aliens, get an Alien SL, they have longer and less floppy stems.

maculated

Apr 9, 2005, 2:18 AM
Post #6 of 15 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't that what the grey alien size is for? I dunno. I just have up to red. I've never felt the need for a different cam between .5 and .75

You could always go with the link cam.

estwing

Apr 9, 2005, 2:25 AM
Post #7 of 15 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi there, I have a red alien, its the same as my friends .5 camalot. I have a #2 tech friend, its the same as the .75 camalot. I have the green #1.75 tech friend, it is a tad smaller than the 2, and a bit bigger than the red alien. I am under the impression that it is marketed as an indian creek size cam, but it works for me. Its single stem as you wanted.

Partner climbinginchico

Apr 9, 2005, 3:02 AM
Post #8 of 15 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't that what the grey alien size is for? I dunno. I just have up to red. I've never felt the need for a different cam between .5 and .75

Grey alien is between the yellow and red.

Red alien= .5 camalot; orange= .75 camalot.

And I'm with ya on the lack of need for an intermediate size. They overlap just fine for me.

jimdavis

Apr 9, 2005, 3:16 AM
Post #9 of 15 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I dont have BD or CCH cams, but I have a full set of Metolious and I must say that the #4 (Red) is one of my favorite pieces. I find a place for it more times than not.

I used to want only single stem cams for a while, but after using a set of Metolius cams, I converted. I still like Friends and Aliens, but the Metolius cams are really great.

I think your hardest descission should wether to get a TCU or FCU #4. :)

Jim

Partner pt

Apr 9, 2005, 3:18 AM
Post #10 of 15 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use the red TCU (one size above orange TCU). It is a little bit bigger than my .5 camelot.

tigerbythetail

Apr 9, 2005, 3:21 AM
Post #11 of 15 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
would like something extra between the .5 and .75 camalots. I prefer single stem cams. Who else has an extra cam between those sizes? Which one is it? An Alien, a Tech Friend? What size or color seems to fill the gap best?

T1 at best.

Partner angry

Apr 9, 2005, 3:46 AM
Post #12 of 15 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have a #2 tech friend, its the same as the .75 camalot. the green #1.75 tech friend, it is a tad smaller than the 2, and a bit bigger than the red alien.

This information is incorrect. The #2 Friend is most similar to a #1 Camalot, though a touch smallar. The 1.75 Friend is A LOT bigger than a red Alien. The 1.5 Friend, .75 Camalot, and Orange alien are all about the same.

I've never experienced a gap between the red and orange, and don't worry about a big alien, they're fabulous.

cyanamid

Apr 9, 2005, 4:08 AM
Post #13 of 15 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I actually have a grey, its smaller than the red alien, and doesn't really fill between the .5 and .75. I suppose I don't really *need* a cam there, but I'd kinda like one.

lemon_boy

Apr 9, 2005, 6:00 AM
Post #14 of 15 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

surprised that nobody has laid this all out for ya. here we go. in order.

.5 camalot
1.5 friend
.75 camalot
2 friend
1 camalot
2.5 friend
2 camalot
3 friend
(this doesn't take into account the 1/4 size friends)

camalots and friends compliment each other really well through here. not particularly important on granite, but makes a difference in desert sandstones. if you look at the charts, the differences are generally just a few mm. doesn't sound like much, but when you are hanging off a bum ringlock trying to weld a .75 camalot into a 1.5 friend section, you will appreciate the difference. on the flip side, a friend of a friend ripped a string of .75 camalots on battle of the bulge (#2 friends would have been a better choice). etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

at #3 camalot and 3.5 friend they are pretty similar, and the overall size range of the pieces is pretty forgiving. ditto the #3.5 camalot (old) and the 4 friend. interesting that wild country doesn't make a piece that competes witht the #4 camalot (old). the #4 camalot is a pretty key piece in my book.

tiny pieces i use both metolius and aliens. again, listed size stats are mega similar, but in practice they are a bit different. one interesting aspect of the aliens is how much they change in size as they age (wear). do some experiments with this and it is pretty wild. a green alien that i have had for about a year has worn down waaaaay more than any of the tcu's that i have had for approx 10 years. this is probably entirely more than you wanted to know, but i thought the info might be helpful. have a good one.

mattm

Apr 11, 2005, 4:22 PM
Post #15 of 15 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
surprised that nobody has laid this all out for ya. here we go. in order.

.5 camalot
1.5 friend
.75 camalot
2 friend
1 camalot
2.5 friend
2 camalot
3 friend

(this doesn't take into account the 1/4 size friends)

I'll up the ante...

Yellow Alien
Gray Alien, #3 Orange TCU
Red Alien , .5 Camalot
1.5 Friend and #4 Metolius (red)
1.75 Friend , .75 Camalot
2 Tech Friend
1 Camalot
2.5 Tech Friend
2 Camalot
3 Tech Friend
3.5 friend