RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

moroneyk

Apr 8, 2005, 2:56 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1143 views)
Shortcut

Sale Gosse, Fontainebleau
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~moroneyk/salegosse.JPG

Just an old photo I found in my collection. Any comments? Does the lack of a face spoil it? What about the framing?

Thanks,
Kevin

melekzek

Apr 8, 2005, 9:57 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1143 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sale Gosse, Fontainebleau [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Any comments?

uhm, those are big tickmarks there....

melekzek

Apr 8, 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

excellent tonal distribution on the rock. His shirt is very nice for b&w shoots, and could have created a nice contrast to the organic features on the rock.
His black pants are a bad choice, and his feet are too close to the ground/frame making me feel that he is standing on the ground. This is a pretty common problem in bouldering shots, and takes away the "excitement" part out of the picture.

I think if you shoot a bit from the left we could have seen his face and eyes focused onto the next hold. I feel a bit wider angle would have worked better too...

And both signature and caption. Come on, put all of them in one place, either in the picture or in the frame.... and smaller plz....

dax

Apr 9, 2005, 2:36 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

melekzek's made good points, but I'll try not to be redundant. The tone on the rock is not just well captured, it's a good focal point. I almost feel like the pic could be zoomed out to give a little more rock on the top left (if this was geographically possible, I don't know...) This would help the chalk spot at the top be a little more of a bull's eye in the photo. The tick marks are very distracting, and the black pants frustrate me because they don't help define the body position (which is excellent) very well. I don't mind missing the face, seems like the photo's more about the rock with a climber on it than a climber determined to conquer a rock. The framing's neutral for me. Think you'd be just as well of w/ a thin black line tight to the pic, and kick to contrast up a bit in the pic itself. Hope this helps, it's a very good pic, I'd be happy to call it my own!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook