First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

korporal

May 2, 2005, 6:30 PM
Post #1 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Violence and Video Games (poll)
Report this Post
Can't Post

For a class, some friends and I debating whether or not video games cause violence. We have our main arguments sorted out and most of our rebuttals are in line. However the team we are going up against is rather good and we need some varying viewpoints on the subject. One of my teamates posted something in a videogame foum. As expected many of replies that went something like this:
Video games dont't cause violence! It's the parents that cause the problem. f***k, s***t, (and the rant goes on)
I figured there are some people here who have strong oppinions on things of this sort and, more importantly, know how to convey those ideas without excessive cursing and ranting. If you have an oppinion on the subject please post up.

vertical_reality

May 2, 2005, 6:34 PM
Post #2 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Re: Violence and Video Games (poll) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I figured there are some people here who have strong oppinions on things of this sort and, more importantly, know how to convey those ideas without excessive cursing and ranting.

Are you new here or something?

Partner tgreene

May 2, 2005, 6:35 PM
Post #3 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While it's likely that vidoe games and movies *have* had a great impact in neutralizing the shock value that once surrounded violence, it is still the individual person that is responsible for his or her own actions.

Over the years, we have all seen plenty of 'Slice & dice' movies and played a shoot-em-up game or 3, but about thye only thing the games can be guilty of, is increasing eye/hand coordination!

jumpingrock

May 2, 2005, 6:46 PM
Post #4 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Video games will cause violence just like movies, comics, books, etc will cause violence. If the user is not properly educated then there can be trouble. Just like all things, it boils down to the parents. Raise your kids well and likely they will turn out well, raise them like shit and likely they will turn to shit. Of course there is always the chance they will turn to shit anyway, that's why I likely won't have kids.

korporal

May 2, 2005, 6:48 PM
Post #5 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I figured there are some people here who have strong oppinions on things of this sort and, more importantly, know how to convey those ideas without excessive cursing and ranting.

Are you new here or something?

No...That how I know that people have strong oppinions on this type of thing. Some people have a tendancy to go off and curse, and rant, and go on forever about nothing. But, every once and a while there is a person who has thought out their oppinion and knows how to write without the cursing, the ranting, and the endless tangets.

bluenose

May 2, 2005, 7:00 PM
Post #6 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The trouble with action video games, not only violent ones, is the energy that you don't release while playing. In the games you mentally experience what the game is about, but that's it. Once you are finished playing you haven't done anything and are quite likely very edgy as an aftereffect. If you encounter a charged situation soon after a bout, I expect that a violent outcome may be more likely. Kind of like the non-violent propests that turn nasty because of an instigator and many people.

Cause violence directly, no.

I recall my brother while playing...Wolfenstein, possibly...quite intensely. One of the creatures popped onto the screen and he, literally, tried to jump out the window beside his workstation. I laughed for a long time over that one.

Jeff.

zozo

May 2, 2005, 7:05 PM
Post #7 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shut up punk before I kick your ass.

........What was the question again?

kimmyt

May 2, 2005, 7:23 PM
Post #8 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, since I started playing Halo2 obsessively I've had the oddest desires to blow someone's brain out with a plasma gun. So, overall, I guess I'd say that video games haven't really made me more violent of a person.

K.

bustloose

May 2, 2005, 7:32 PM
Post #9 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

one of the best quotes i have ever come across regarding kids/tv/video games and violence...

Hitler never watched tv.

one group or another will always find a way to blame something other than themselves for the various problems in the world. as a parent, if you want to shirk responsibility and blame the video world for your childs problems then you need serious help.

sadly, this debate will never have a winner because there are so many ignorant people in the world, but at least the endless discussion brings awareness to some, and that helps. the Nature vs. Nurture debate has been raging for ever...

arrettinator

May 2, 2005, 9:26 PM
Post #10 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe that video games contribute to violent behavior, sure.
Everything someone encounters contributes to behavior.

While I agree w/ jumpingrock that parents have a hand in this, they aren't the only ones.

It all starts w/ attitude. Not being a badass, but the persons outlook on the world around them and the way they act upon it.
No one can change that person's attitude, but themself.
All others can do is influence it.
This is where video games, movies, etc... come in.
It is the responsibility of the person, sure.
But when influenced by an outside source, people will do all sorts of things.

Drugs, cartoons, food, TV, animals, newspapers, conversations with strangers.........
They all contribute to ones attitude.

The mental state of a being is a tricky thing.

padge

May 2, 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #11 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why just the other day after a long bout with Grand Theft Auto San Andreas I saw a nice low rider driving by. I opened the door pulled the guy out and took the car. Some cops saw me and jumped in hot persuit, I offed a couple of dozen before the national guard and FBI stepped in. Things were gettin a little hot so I made tracks to the nearest clothing store and changed my clothes, throwing them off track. Feeling a little low on 'energy' I picked up a hooker, had some fun, then robbed her. After that I was kinda bored so I started a gang war.
So, no video games don't cause violent behavior.
Seriously though I think violent behavior stems from ones inability to self govern. We all have violent thoughts (I think) but the decision to act is not determined by a video game, it's not real. Now if one is dilusional and cannot tell the difference between fantasy and reality then maybe video games can have an affect.

grover

May 3, 2005, 1:37 AM
Post #12 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you consider Hemorrhoid's as a form of violence then my answer would be YES.

aaronbr86

May 3, 2005, 3:40 AM
Post #13 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its just like another saying I know.......(guns dont kill people, people kill people). Video games arent the source of the problem. If violence is removed from video games they will suck to play and violence will just be channelled from somewhere else such as the childs homelife. The big problem that I have seen in most violent kids is the lack of discipline from their parents. If I acted as these kids did when I was younger my dad would have pulled out his big leather belt and would have given me a few swats with it. Hell, when I was a kid there were guns sitting around my house *gasp* unlocked with access to the ammo. Never once did I get the idea of carrying the gun to school or anything. My parents taught me right from wrong and used discipline properly and I turned out fine.

wallcrawler

May 3, 2005, 4:20 AM
Post #14 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My parents taught me right from wrong and used discipline properly and I turned out fine.

Well said. I think it says a lot about a kid's upbringing if a few hours of video games can destroy tvelve years of parenting or more. Same goes for music and movies, IMHO if the parents did their job as parents instead of letting their kids be raised by the media the world would be a different place.

arrettinator

May 3, 2005, 1:24 PM
Post #15 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
if the parents did their job as parents instead of letting their kids be raised by the media the world would be a different place.
So, media does play a roll?
If parents "aren't doing their job" and letting media (computers, video games, movies, TV, music, music videos.. ) raise them, do you agree that it has an influence on their attitude?

bluenose

May 3, 2005, 1:27 PM
Post #16 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="wallcrawler I think it says a lot about a kid's upbringing if a few hours of video games can destroy tvelve years of parenting or more. Same goes for music and movies, IMHO if the parents did their job as parents instead of letting their kids be raised by the media the world would be a different place.
From what I understand of child psychology, the kids' personalities are pretty much hardwired before they are 5 or 6. Those folks who ride along letting their kids do as they please figuring that they can straighten things out afterwards are delusional. Mold them when they are young and odds are in your favour that they will turn out fine. Mine are 6 and 11 so I'll let you know in a few years.

BTW, we don't watch TV (movies we buy or rent only) and don't play any video games. We find that we don't have time left over after being a family for that crap. It seems to work for us.

Jeff.

danooguy

May 3, 2005, 1:30 PM
Post #17 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Violent cartoons and early TV shows such as The Three Stooges had enough violence to create a pronounced increase in violence among children...if they in fact, could. They did not.

Violence is almost always triggered by social/political friction, or economics, not art or entertainment.

The difference is that in the sense of the video game, the argument is put forth that one is actually participating in a form of staged violence.

It would stand to reason then that other forms of staged violence involving participation such as paintball, should have the same effect, yet no one is clamoring about paintball causing teenagers to go on shooting rampages with real firearms.

Partner tradman

May 3, 2005, 2:07 PM
Post #18 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If media influence our behaviour, then how come charlie chaplin never caused outbreaks of comedy? Did Pretty Woman contribute to an increase in youth romance?

arrettinator

May 3, 2005, 2:14 PM
Post #19 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Violent cartoons and early TV shows such as The Three Stooges had enough violence to create a pronounced increase in violence among children...if they in fact, could. They did not.
Kids never hit their cats on the head w/ a hammer because they saw Jerry do it to Tom?
Kids never smacked each other w/ sticks because they were sword fighting.
Kids never poked each other in the eyes, smacked each other... because they saw the Stooges do it?

In reply to:
Violence is almost always triggered by social/political friction, or economics, not art or entertainment.
See above.
And also, I remember some teenagers getting killed from laying in the middle of the street, like they did in some movie years ago.

Media never plays a role in ones actions. :roll:

In reply to:
The difference is that in the sense of the video game, the argument is put forth that one is actually participating in a form of staged violence.

It would stand to reason then that other forms of staged violence involving participation such as paintball, should have the same effect, yet no one is clamoring about paintball causing teenagers to go on shooting rampages with real firearms.
Do some reasearch.
It's sort of like BBguns were in our childhood.
The argument has been made.

Partner taualum23

May 3, 2005, 2:15 PM
Post #20 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Did Pretty Woman contribute to an increase in youth romance?

No, but the number of starlet-quality beauty prostitutes shopping on Rodeo drive went up exponentially.

bumblie

May 3, 2005, 2:17 PM
Post #21 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone know why Road Runner and Bugs Bunny are no longer on TV? These toons are timeless, yet they ain't on Saturday TV no more. Could it be that those groups fighting violence on TV have brow beaten the TV execs into quietly removing these "violent" shows from the airwaves?

In reply to:
Produced in 1960-2 by Friz Freleng and Chuck Jones.
Produced in 1966-8 by David H. DePatie and Friz Freleng.
Produced in 1968-75 by William L. Hendricks, Peter Morales, and Andrew Stein.
Produced in 1975-85 by Hal Geer.
Produced in 1985-6 by Hal Geer and Steven S. Greene.
Produced in 1986-9 by Steven S. Greene and Kathleen Helppie-Shipley.
Produced in 1989-90 by Jean H. MacCurdy and Kathleen Helppie-Shipley.
Produced in 1990-2000 by Lorri A. Bond and Kathleen Helppie-Shipley.

Partner tgreene

May 3, 2005, 2:23 PM
Post #22 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You really should know more about the subject matter, before you make statements like this... There have been a number of paintball related deaths, because kids learned early on that if they put the paintballs in a freezer, they would hurt like hell when being fired, yet there would be no proof after impact. After a few head-shots that resulted in deaths because of this, the manufacturers were forced to develop a new paint that suposedly couldn't be frozen.

Personally, I won't touch a paintball gun, because I'm so ingrained into the thinking that ANY item that ejects a projectile when a trigger mechanism is actuated by the user, is capable of destroying the target.. Basically, you never point a gun at anything, unless you fully intend to destroy or kill it!

Partner taualum23

May 3, 2005, 2:27 PM
Post #23 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Personally, I won't touch a paintball gun, because I'm so ingrained into the thinking that ANY item that ejects a projectile when a trigger mechanism is actuated by the user, is capable of destroying the target.. Basically, you never point a gun at anything, unless you fully intend to destroy or kill it!

Tim, there you go again, spouting off rational gun-related advice. Blah, blah, blah....if you dont want gun deaths, take guns seriously, if you don't want children accidently killing each other, teach them responsibility and not to point guns at each other. Enough already. If we wanted reason and common sense, we would all have listened by now.

bumblie

May 3, 2005, 2:47 PM
Post #24 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

deleted

Partner tgreene

May 3, 2005, 3:00 PM
Post #25 of 43 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ummmm, the mere fact that paintball GUNS are considered toys that are then being used for MALICIOUS INTENT, is precisely what this thread is all about, because violence begets violence.

If it wasn't for paintball guns, then Cain probably would have had to use a rock! :lol:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook