RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

rendog

May 8, 2005, 10:10 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3192 views)
Shortcut

Canyoneering in Utah...road Trip Part 1
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So thanks to the infinite wisdom of the Homeland Security, my trip was amlost doomed right off the start. They almost didn't let me into the country...for what reason, I was never given, but I had a helluva time convincing them I wasn't dangerous or a freeloader

But let's back up a week first...doing some minor work on my car, and suddenly the head/intake manifold gasket goes and dumps a copiuos amount of antifreeze in my oil, promptly seizing it up. Always the quick thinker I sell my computer and coincidentally my new motor costs an extra 5$. Dammit, there's goes my funds for the trip. Screw it I'm going anyway, I've got a date with Skibby. I replace the motor and the break in period is driving from NS to Ohio.

I finally arrive in Colorado, hook up with Skibby, rest a day, pack up her truck and we're off to Utah for some Slot canyoneering before heading to Cali and climbing in Joshua Tree. we find my friend Mike Tittel in Grand Junction, then we're off after looking for the maps we need to find these obscure canyons. WE spend the first day doing the East Fork of Blue John Canyon with a loop being thrown in going back up the Main Fork to our Campsite at Robber's Roost. A solid 9 mile trek that took the majority of the day, sometimes wading up to our crotches in water with a 5.8 freeclimb out of the canyon...Absolutely INCREDIBLE!!! The next day was a drive out to Hanksville, setting up camp, having something to eat and just trying to get rid of the butterfly's going on in anticipation of the coming day's events.

We wake up to a brilliant day, and we're off to do the East Fork of Leprichaun Canyon. A 1 hr hike around the rim takes us to our drop in spot. after what seemed like an eternity, we emerge at the end of the canyon. Upon realizing it's still early yet, we decide to go back up and around the rim and ddrop into the right Fork. Somehow we missed the drop-in point and descend into the main fork. The main fork is classed a 4A, a very technical slot with many drops, extremely tight sections(!) requiring advanced skills to navigate. Basically imagine 2.5 miles of horzontal off-width and chimmneying...I've never been so physically exhausted in my entire life. If we got to a section that was quite literally 18" wide, that was a resting spot, where we could have a shot of juice and catch our breath. I want to do it again in such a bad way...hehehe....I'm a bit of a machoist I guess...

It was because of these canyons that Skibabage's has now been turned into SCABabeage, after loosing the majority of the skin on her elbows and knees...:oops: wasn't me honest!

I'll post up some pics as soon as I get them back, since in my infinate wisdom, I forgot them in Colorado when I left.

stay tuned for the second part of the trip. Climbing in Joshua Tree. Where fun, frolicking, drinking, nudity and just plain debauchery abouded. Throw in a bit of climbing and you've got the makings of one helluva good trip.

kachoong

May 8, 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3192 views)
Shortcut

Re: Canyoneering in Utah...road Trip Part 1 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds great ren..... can't wait to read the next installment and see your pickies!

veep23

May 12, 2005, 2:52 AM
Post #3 of 5 (3192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fun isn't it? I was living in Colorado until i took a trip through southern Utah... a few months later i moved there and hav been exploring those canyons ever since. It is such a unique and beautiful place.

markguycan

Jul 11, 2005, 5:50 AM
Post #4 of 5 (3192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

try waterholes canyon for long days adventure. bring 2 60m ropes your swimmers and an inflateable kayak and a sixer for the paddle out!
http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=Show&PhotoID=36109

rickrock77

Jul 17, 2005, 1:30 PM
Post #5 of 5 (3192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome trip report!!!!!!

You didnt explain the thing with the homeland security??? Come on fill us in..

And not better than sex? Since when does sex last for four weeks? hahaha.. I would say that, as I'm single at the moment. :lol:

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook