RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

fivesix

May 9, 2005, 8:01 PM
Post #1 of 16 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering League Charlotte, NC
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey theres a bouldering league running at Inner Peaks climbing gym Charlotte, NC. Right now its run very socially, but it'll pick up soon. See if you can make it there Wednesday nights, 8-9pm. There's nothing on their website about it, but you can just call them... (704-844-6677)

fivesix

fivesix

May 12, 2005, 5:44 AM
Post #2 of 16 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bouldering League Charlotte, NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

let me ask you this ???

if you were in a bouldering league, what would be some of the things that you'd expect from the league???

anything , that you would think of to make it better for you and or more enjoyable???

"curiosity killed my cat, if you find him, please let me know"

abtisme

May 12, 2005, 6:28 AM
Post #3 of 16 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey man, im at home for the summer and i suppose i might check it out some time. its only from 8 to 9? and its like ten bucks to get into inner peaks. why not stretch out the hours? and if theres some way that you could get in the gym for free or a discount that would be awesome. and since you're in the Charlotte area, have you checked out the boulders at poplar tent and the one at UNCC? let me know (pm) if you haven't and i might could meet you out there or give you directions. later on

fivesix

May 23, 2005, 4:59 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea ive been to poplar, its a cool little place, think the access is closed now though ??? im not 100% sure ?

hey the league now has a full time sponsor.. its a local outdoor store ... so that means prizes for your effort!!! way (WAY) cool!!!!!

later

spokewrench

May 23, 2005, 5:17 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i may sound dumb here, but what exactly is a bouldering league? i may be really interseted because im in dire need of some sort of sceduled regular climbing activity, my partner is flaking on me a lot lately to go to inner peaks and other crags in the area.

btw abtisme whats the deal with the uncc boulder? ive lived in that area for a long time and ive never heard anything about it...

rockitjeff

May 23, 2005, 5:57 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"theres a bouldering league .... at Inner Peaks"

do i get to wear a spiffy uniform?

and what IS the 411 at Poplar Tent? It's a gem. .

abtisme

May 23, 2005, 8:50 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i haven't heard anything about poplar tent being closed and no one has ever told me not to go back there, but i haven't been in about a week and a half so i hope nothing has changed.

spokewrench the uncc boulder is one i just heard about like over Christmas. somebody in Jesse Browns was talking about it. its actually a nice little boulder. there is only one though which is a bummer, but i don't know how familiar you are with uncc's campus. but if you go in and go by the stadium (where all the little statues of players are) and right past the stadium is a road that goes down to the left through a parking lot. you follow that road towards the baseball fields and on your left you will see two trail heads about 20-30 yds apart and those both lead to the boulder. you can park just past the trail in this big parking lot and walk back on this asphalt sidewalk. either trail is fine because they connect to make a loop but the boulder is just on the other side of this little stream. you can see if from the trail. its pretty large and has a horizontal crack running through the top of it. there is a fun climb on the right side where you work to that crack and just traverse across and up. its pretty easy, but its fun. and on the far left is a sit start traverse. the stuff in the middle is way out of my league but it looks like fun. but its a nice place to go and mess around on if you have a few minutes to spare.

spokewrench

May 23, 2005, 9:32 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

neato i'l have to check out that at uncc...... but do know that poplar tent is definitly 100% off limits and has been for a while. its been 4 or so years since ive been

rockitjeff

May 24, 2005, 2:49 AM
Post #9 of 16 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you better study up on your access (call around to local shops or gyms) 'cause Poplar Tent was for sale and the landowner was very much discouraging climbers. I've not been in a year + so things might have changed but did not sould like it last time i checked the carolina climbers coalition web site

abtisme

May 24, 2005, 5:34 AM
Post #10 of 16 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i searched the forum topics about poplar tent and read everything from its open to its closed and you'll be shot. so i don't know the deal. ive been going a good bit for about a year maybe and i have never had any problems. i also haven't seen any signs up, but then again im not looking for them. this is the first ive heard about it being closed and its really gonna bum me out if it is. anyways, if anyone gets any new information please please let me know

fivesix

May 24, 2005, 2:51 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

in answer to your Q' ... a bouldering league is ... well think of a bowling league, take the 'team' out of it, and wow you have a bunch of boulder'ers who meet regularly to help one another become better boulder'ers, and in so doing have the oppertunity to win prizes for bouldering well themselves!

its gonna be so sweet when we have a large amount of boulder'ers there, then we can make "teams" haha how funny would that be !!! retro-old- skool team jersey's :) haha i love just the thought of it !!!!

about P-tent , i think , well this is what it sounds like to me, this is not for deffinate though, I DO NOT KNOW! but it sounds like the dude is trying to sell the land and doesnt want to be like " oh and periodically you'll see strange people with very large backpacks walking around your property, dont mind them, they just play with the rocks!!! "

cheers

Partner j_ung

May 24, 2005, 3:16 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks like a theardjacking, to me. Don, sounds like the BLOC is taking off. It's nice to see some enthusiasm pay off in the Charlotte climbing community!

thorne
Deleted

May 24, 2005, 3:35 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Poplar Tent is not officially open.

From what I've heard, parking is a visitors biggest issue. If you're really concerned about getting towed, park up at the baseball field.

As far as trespassing goes... enter at your own risk. The stories of arrests are anecdotal and I haven't heard any in a year or so. Unless you know different, just assume there's a (small) risk of getting in trouble.

As far as messing up access goes, I don't think any locals are too concerned. I posted a query about it on the CCC site, last month. It was basically ignored.

fivesix

May 25, 2005, 3:00 AM
Post #14 of 16 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea whats up with that threadjacking???

if you wanna climb P-tent then go climb it! otherwise go make your own thread about whether or not you want to go climb P-tent!!! hahahaha

otherwise go practice at the BLOC (bouldering league of Charlotte)
every wednesday night 8-9pm Inner Peaks Climbing Gym...
summer season starts June 1st...
seeya...

fivesix

Jun 9, 2005, 3:12 AM
Post #15 of 16 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good times , good times . the league was awesome fun tonight! had a few guys cranking on some 5's and 6'es , the younger guys and girls were hitting some solid 3's . realy encouraging to see young boulder'ers, makes you think how hard they'll be climbing when they get to my age?!?!

anyways , good times had by all. hope to see some new faces round soon:)

oh yea and the Metolius Mystery problem-?- sick sick hard! all that for a bag of chalk ? someones gotta do something about that! (oh yea thats me!)

cheers

fivesix

Jun 27, 2005, 6:38 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

metolius came through for us, they have sponsored a pair of rock rings for the league. so thats just one of the prizes to get excited about for the league.

cool beans... keep climbing(hard, if possible)

cheers

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook