Forums: Climbing Information: General:
What is with GPS coordinates in the new Backpacker?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

drferling

Mar 28, 2004, 5:32 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1347 views)
Shortcut

What is with GPS coordinates in the new Backpacker?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, so I have a subscription and I promise I am just waiting for it to runout. The magzine is awful (but strangely entertaining lately) unless your 100% yuppie. (ok done with my first rant) They have an article about doing some backcountry hiking in Yellowstone. The crazy part is that for every picture and twist in the trail they provide you with GPS coordinates. This is totally insane. Someone who can not read a map is off to galavant in a huge park with there $300GPS and $3 batteries. I hope that they realize the ramifications of providing the coordinates. A lot of people who have no idea what Leave No Trace is will be strolling around in the backcountry. What were they thinking?

chupa

Mar 28, 2004, 6:52 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1347 views)
Shortcut

Re: What is with GPS coordinates in the new Backpacker? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe they were thinking it would be safer. Face it, a gps is easier to use, quicker and a lot more accurate than a compass and map. Many backpackers use gps for at least a backup. I've been climbing and backpacking since long before gps was on the scene but I think it's a great and marvelous invention. I still carry a compass and map since they don't require batteries, but if I'm lost the gps is the first thing I'll pull out.

On this topic anyway, what's the big deal with climbers vs. yuppies? "Real" climbers vs. yuppie "wannabe" climbers? I know people that qualify in the yuppie category and still pull down hard. A good friend of mine makes a mid-6 figure salary, drives a $90,000 car has a $500,000 house and works 9-5. On weekends you can catch him pulling down 5.11 R/X trad and bouldering V8 highball problems. Other climbers think he's a "fraud" for selling out but he's the real deal.

tysonsugihara

May 12, 2005, 8:36 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think both of you have valid points. I use my GPS units frequently, but always have a backup i.e. map and compass. GPS is a excellent device if used properly, but can offer a false sense of security in the back country.

Know your ability and use your grey matter...

scrapedape

May 12, 2005, 8:51 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
On this topic anyway, what's the big deal with climbers vs. yuppies? "Real" climbers vs. yuppie "wannabe" climbers? I know people that qualify in the yuppie category and still pull down hard. A good friend of mine makes a mid-6 figure salary, drives a $90,000 car has a $500,000 house and works 9-5. On weekends you can catch him pulling down 5.11 R/X trad and bouldering V8 highball problems. Other climbers think he's a "fraud" for selling out but he's the real deal.

What line of work is he in that he makes six figures and works a 40 hour week?

Who cares if they have GPS coordinates, so long as they aren't advocating leaving the map at home? Myself, I like surprises, so I'd leave the GPS in the pack (if I had one, that is).

nedsurf

May 12, 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, how the heck does one get good salary without being an office slave? I'll be a sellout yuppie climber if I could figure out how to get there. A college degree is certianly no golden ticket. :?
As far as the OP, I think you might be assuming those people don't know how to shoot an azimuth and triangulate. Perhaps they do. And if they don't, idiot tax for them. BTW I don't like backpacker rag either.

anson

May 12, 2005, 10:39 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah, how the heck does one get good salary without being an office slave?

Be an office slave for about three years, get a reputation for being one of the hardest-working people there, and then convert to 40-45 hrs per week during the first relatively quiet period you come across. Just don't ramp back up when the pressure comes on. You can coast for a long, long time, especially if you make sure that you still turn in quality work, just less of it.

You can get tired of coasting, though, believe it or not...

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook