RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

anica

May 25, 2005, 3:31 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in St. Paul
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

Hi! I'm going to be in St. Paul MN in a couple weeks. I looked at some posts from here, and it looks like Vertical Endeavors is the indoor gym. I've only climbed 5 times indoors; I'm such a beginner. The place where I climbed wasn't anything like vertical endeavors. THere were just 6 36ft high walls. We didn't even use a real belayer... you just hooked the carabiner onto your harness (which they provided for you) and a little automatic thing at the top lowered you if you fell. (Oh, btw... that place is 5 hours away-it's the only one near me. Well, I suppose ST. Paul is only 4 hours away.) Anyway, Vertical Endeavors looks so different... I don't have any gear, no shoes, no rope, no harness... no one to belay me (or no one to climb while I belay- gah, what am I saying? I can't belay!) Is this going to be a problem at the gym up there?

I'm just trying to decide what to do... blah blah blah.

Thanks

Anica

cruxmonger

May 25, 2005, 3:39 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing in St. Paul [In reply to]
Report this Post

I'm sure you will be able to find someone to belay for you while you are there. They also rent out all of the gear that you will need. They do require you to take a class and pass a test before allowing you to belay anyone. Otherwise, i'm sure you will be able to find people in the forums that would be willing to take you outdoors. Taylors Falls is a fun place to climb and it's less than an hour drive from St. Paul. I will be in the Grand Teton's June 3-12, but PM me if you like.

kdchampion

May 25, 2005, 3:40 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Where are you coming from that's 4 or 5 hours of away and VE is the closest gym? Just curious. I've been VE a couple times and I know that have quite a few auto-belays (automatic thingies). When are you going to be there, any specific dates?

anica

May 25, 2005, 4:41 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I live in Sioux Falls. We've got Palisades to climb, but since I'm such a noob I don't know anyone to go with, and I haven't ever tried belaying. I'm not really comfortable meeting someone I met on the internet, and I'm only 16. I know... maybe I'm a little too hesitant, but you know, I've just heard so many freaky stories. Thanks, though.

We first climbed in a gym around Des Moines IA. I've also been out to Palisades and climbed that easy, stair like side of King Rock- if you've ever been there... So I guess it wasn't really climbing. If you know of any gym that's a little closer to me, let me know! :-)

I'm glad VE has automatic thingies! That's definitely GOOD! that will make the whole thing a ton easier! It's also good that they rent out harnesses. How much does it cost to climb there, do you know?

I'll be there in the second weekend of June, I think. We have quite a bit of family stuff going on, but I'm hoping to get the opportunity to climb since I never get to at home. Thanks for all the info...

Anica

plund

May 25, 2005, 5:19 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey anica - check out the MN Gathering at Blue Mounds first weekend in June. There will be a pile of us down there, Prairie Walls will be completely strung up with topropes, I'm sure there will be extra gear (harness, maybe shoes) floating around, COME ON OUT, meet some people, climb lots, sit around the fire & swap lies, etc.

Check out minnesotaclimbing.com for all the details - I believe there is a SD contingent coming as well, & a few of us may head to the Palisades on Friday.

**edit to add PS** PS - this is definitely a safe, family-type environment, there will be young-uns about, so come on over!!

**edit 'cause I'm spacy** There's also a nice gym in Rochester, MN FYI...

anica

May 25, 2005, 5:43 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

That would be so awesome! I need some climbing homies! But... we have a family deal in St. Paul that weekend... otherwise I sure would come and hang out with all you guys. But I'm going to keep my eye on that sight and see when there's going to be another gathering in Palisades or Blue Mounds. How many hours apart are Blue Mounds and Palisades, btw? Alrighty, thanks for letting me know about that.

Anica

kiteandclimb

Jun 3, 2005, 6:41 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Also check out Red Wing for some sport climing and top roping. Mostly sport climbing but you'd only need about 6-8 quickdraws at the most so its nothing extreme. Some great climbs up there and not too far from Minn/St. Paul. We cruised up there a few times from Chicago and got some good climbs in.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook