RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

bvoborsky

Jun 3, 2005, 2:39 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1534 views)
Shortcut

beta/partners wanted southafrica/namibia
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey we are flying into south africa on July 19th and flying out August 26th. We will be bumming around southafrica and namibia. We will have a car and camping gear. Planning on bring a small rack due to weight. If there are any locals who want to share their insites or anyone who will be around looking for a climb at that time that would be great. I am really looking for more info on namibia rock.

jcshaggy

Jun 3, 2005, 8:24 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1534 views)
Shortcut

Re: beta/partners wanted southafrica/namibia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a couple of websites you can try; www.climbing.co.za, www.alardsbigwallclimbing.com(got some stuff on spitzkop in Namibia) and www.saclimb.co.za. There should be R.D.'s there. Send me a message if you need any help or info. Cheers!

jcshaggy

Jun 3, 2005, 8:28 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a couple of websites you can try; www.climbing.co.za, www.alardsbigwallclimbing.com(got some stuff on spitzkop in Namibia) and www.saclimb.co.za. There should be R.D.'s there. Send me a message if you need any help or info. Cheers!

alliwanttodoisclimb

Jun 3, 2005, 9:00 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,
I went by myself to Namiba for about 10 days last year and found some good climbing there. The Spitzkoppe is the 'Matterhorn' of Namibia and I did a route (800M, 5.6 maybe) on it, felt like mountaineering than rock climbing.
There are tons of bolted routes all over the Spitzkoppe and I could have stayed there for 4-5 days. Not sure if there's much climbing anywhere else in Namibia, check those websites out.. :idea:

alliwanttodoisclimb

Jun 3, 2005, 9:02 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,
I went by myself to Namiba for about 10 days last year and found some good climbing there. The Spitzkoppe is the 'Matterhorn' of Namibia and I did a route (800M, 5.6 maybe) on it, felt like mountaineering than rock climbing.
There are tons of bolted routes all over the Spitzkoppe and I could have stayed there for 4-5 days. Not sure if there's much climbing anywhere else in Namibia, check those websites out.. :idea:

warreng

Jun 3, 2005, 9:56 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1534 views)
Shortcut

Re: beta/partners wanted southafrica/Namibia [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cant help you out with Namibia other than to say make time to visit Etosha game park, but I can tell you where to go in SA if you give me some more info.
What sort of climbing do you want to do? Trad / Sport / Bouldering?
What grade do you climb?
Do you have an itinerary yet? do you know which areas in SA you will be visiting and for how long?

mrebrown

Jun 5, 2005, 12:50 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey. A good guide to get for all the sport climbing crags in Western Cape, South Africa is called Western Cape Rock (over 900 routes). You can get it at City Rock in Observatory. You will find all info on the web sites the other people have suggested. If you into trad there's some fabulous routes in The Cedarberg. A route I would highly recommend...Celestial Journey 6 pitches graded 22!
I wont be in South African during your visit but mail me if you want any other beta. Have a fabulous time Richard

cupton

Jun 5, 2005, 4:35 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Everything down here I have climbed has been heavily bolted. Bring lots of draws. There are trad lines but dont seem to be nearly as popular.

For some more info check out the SA mountain club, they are organized and publish lots of good info for climbing in SA. Also if you are up for an adventure there is good bolted climbing in Zimbabwe.

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook