RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

sesh

Jun 14, 2005, 8:18 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1367 views)
Shortcut

What has happened to the OUMC?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am a student in India, and in October I will be going up to Oxford to study for two years.

I had heard a lot about the Oxford University Mountaineering Club (there's even a famous book about one of their expeditions), and I know that there have been many great climbers (like Stephen Venables) who have come out of Oxford. But now no-one seems to have heard of the OUMC, and there's no mention of it on the website. Is it defunct?

If there are any climbers around in Oxford (or even in England, for that matter) who could enlighten me, I'd be grateful.

I'm also obviously looking for people in that area who climb ...

Partner phaedrus

Jun 15, 2005, 3:35 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1367 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to International.

Partner booger

Jun 15, 2005, 7:27 AM
Post #3 of 7 (1367 views)
Shortcut

Re: What has happened to the OUMC? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sesh, I'm sure somebody else can give you more personal information, but you may want to check this:

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~climbing/

Looks like they are still very active! :)

nika

Jun 15, 2005, 9:38 AM
Post #4 of 7 (1367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, OUMC is still very active, and that is their website. I've been studying at Oxford for the last year and have been an active member of the club, but am going back to the U.S. in two weeks and won't be around next year. However, I'm sure it will be easy for you to find people in the club to climb with, a bunch will be around next year! If you would like any more info about the club, or the email addresses of people who will still be in the club next year, PM me and I'll help you out! Alternatively, poke around on the website, and you can probably get a good idea of what the club's like!

sesh

Jun 15, 2005, 2:33 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the link, it was quite informative - and what a relief to know that they are still functional! I enjoyed going through some of the pictures ... do they still do mountaineering expeditions, do you know?

nika

Jun 15, 2005, 2:44 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They don't run official mountaineering trips, but out of term time a lot of people go on unofficial trips with a lot of club members. Oxford has two long vacations, one at Christmas and one at Easter, when people typically go to do mountaineering stuff, especially in Scotland. Additionally, people often go on trips over the summer; I have friends in the club heading off to the Alps and Equador in the next couple of weeks. So although the club doesn't organize official mouontaineering trips, it's easy to meet mountaineers in the club and organize things with them!

nick_b10

Jun 15, 2005, 11:46 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The OUMC are still active, although most if not all of the climbing organised by the club are weekends away in England during term times. Many people use the club to find other climbers to go on longer trips, further afield, as Nika has said there are trips planned by members to the Alps and South America this summer, as well as many European trips during the Christmas and Easter Breaks, although the club doesn't organise these as they entail a greater risk than English trips, which the university doesn't wish to be associated with.

If you want to meet us then either come to one of our pub nights (details are given on our termcard http://users.ox.ac.uk/~climbing/termcard.hml), or come and meet us at next years freshers fair.

Nick Brown
OUMC President 05-06

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook