RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

matteo

Jun 27, 2005, 8:11 AM
Post #1 of 3 (829 views)
Shortcut

Chinaman Bluff (Q'town)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm just woundering if is it possible to climb in winter on Chinamna Bluff near Q'town. North facing? Windy place?
Thanks, ciao ciao
Matteo

socialclimber

Jun 28, 2005, 6:14 AM
Post #2 of 3 (829 views)
Shortcut

Re: Chinaman Bluff (Q'town) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Matteo,

Hows things? I've asked around, I'm told the bottom pitchesof Ravages are a bit cold and wet. The good news is, no sand flies :lol: So, generally, it's ok to climb in winter.

Cheers,

Gary.

roseraie

Jun 28, 2005, 9:08 AM
Post #3 of 3 (829 views)
Shortcut

Re: Chinaman Bluff (Q'town) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey dude...

Haven't climbed there in winter, but I spent some time there last summer.

It's a pretty cold crag, on the lower pitches, because they're in the bush. No sun on the base of routes, so they probably stay really wet. There are many areas, facing all different directions... I'm not sure about Ravages, but I bet it would get really windy up high. I think a lot of the climbs face south or southwest.

It does snow in the area occasionally, so keep an eye on DOC reports for conditions on the Rees-Dart Track, as the last day of it walks right by the crag.

In past winters, the Dart River has taken out some of the track, so check on that as well depending on precipitation.

But... that being said.. on a warm, sunny day, some of the 3-pitch climbs would be nice in the afternoon, once you got past the damp first pitch.

Yeah.. and last but not least, the weather in Queenstown and the weather up in Glenorchy (especially around Earnslaw) can differ DRAMATICALLY, so call up to GY for a weather report before you make the drive.

Hope I helped!

Meg

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook