RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

blondeflag1970

Jul 10, 2005, 4:06 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1573 views)
Shortcut

spain/France weather
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im looking at spending a couple months in Europe next year and was wondering what is truly the best time to visit? :D I got hit pretty hard with rain last April in NE Spain. Thanks Keith

iltripp

Jul 10, 2005, 7:04 AM
Post #2 of 7 (1573 views)
Shortcut

Re: spain/France weather [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

depends where you go....

April is great (although bordering on too hot) for the south of spain... However, that time of year in galicia (NW), it will be very rainy.

thomasribiere

Jul 10, 2005, 7:09 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dude, it's so hard to say.

WInter would be good for south facing, low altitude, mediterranean crags.
Summer would be great for high altitude crags, north facing crags, north Europe crags.
Spring and fall would be great for almost everything... depending on weather and altitude, and latitude...

Considering that you'll NOT ONLY climb, but will appreciate landscapes and cities too, with long days, and good temp for the Med' sea, I would choose to travel in May and June.
September and October are a good period too, but shorter days, nature often burnt by the summer. But some good weather in a lot of places, and all the seas with luke to warm temps.

does it help?

thomas

wetrocks

Jul 10, 2005, 9:08 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got back from spending May and June in France and Spain and let me tell you it was hot! Yes I might be used to cooler temps up here in Canada, but I think upper 30's all the time is a bit too warm for most climbers. I completely changed plans because of the heat. I was there two years ago in May and June and it was hot then as well. Granted, the last time was a record heat wave..it was past 40 degrees in June.

Not sure what you're planning on climbing but if you're heading to the coast to climb stuff like the Calanques (which I highly suggest) then I'd say do the south coast stuff in early May and then when it heats up head to the cooler hills to the north. When it got too hot for us we went to Andorra etc in the Pyrennees, then back to the lowland heat (too hot) so we went to the Alps and spent most of our time in Chamonix. I think next trip I'll be leaving in April instead of May so we can hang out by the coast more.

screamer

Aug 1, 2005, 2:45 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tomas do you think Rodellar would be good in October???

overlord

Aug 1, 2005, 7:31 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for warmer crags (meaning mediterran) the winter is usually the ideal season. the REALLY good conditions are usually from february to may. if its dry offcourse. another good time is october/november, but thats usually pretty wet.

for cooler crags, early summer is the best. that includes chamonix, frankenjura and slovenia :wink: you can climb in the middle of the summer here but it can get kinda hot.

jtoz

Aug 1, 2005, 7:43 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in Rodellar several years ago for the first two weeks in October and the weather was perfect. I'm not sure if that was abnormal or not, but it was great fall climbing weather - nice during the day and cool at night and we only got one day of rain. Good luck.

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook