RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

mcgivney_nh

Jul 9, 2005, 11:55 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2020 views)
Shortcut

gear to get started in sport
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was wondering what would be good gear to get started in sport climbing. I have bouldered a lot and am planning to use the same shoes, but other than shoes and my chalkbag, I really have no idea what gear I should get (yes, I do have someone to help me learn, and I know that you need draws, rope , and harness, but is that all? and are there are any specific types of draws/ropes/harnesses that are better than another type?

Thanks for all the adivce. And should this be in the beginner forum?

johnathon78

Jul 9, 2005, 3:10 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Re: gear to get started in sport [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You left yourself open for this one: go with an experienced person or group of people sport climbing. Sport climbing is a big difference and step up from bouldering or top rope climbing. Try getting into top rope first and get used to falling from much higher heights ( assuming that all you've done is bouldering ). But aside from knowledge, and know-how...my current sport rack consists of:

14 Draws ( various lengths )
1 Black Diamond Bod harness
3 runners
1 10.3 x 60m Sterling dynamic rope
1 BD ATC
1 pair La Sportiva Mythos

and maybe a few other things I forgot.

fourteenersforfun

Jul 9, 2005, 11:58 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your gonna need a harness and a belay device. Your experienced friend should have a rack, rope etc. Unless you've got a grand or so laying around then consult your friend and buy the stuff that will compliment his current rack so you can maximize your hard earned deneros. At some point you will probably want to invest in draws, biners, runners a rope, etc.

mcgivney_nh

Jul 10, 2005, 1:08 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice.

-Sean.

chrisparedes

Jul 10, 2005, 3:29 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Though you cant encounter as many problems as when you trad climb, I think its a good idea to get used to bringing a litttle extra gear on whatever your climbing. 2 extra quickdraws, a sling, and locking biner for example to bail off hard routes. Have fun.

alex_08

Jul 29, 2005, 3:15 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it cheaper to start into trad climbing or is it cheaper to start into sport. I’m looking for the cheapest thing possible I started bouldering because it was the cheapest I even have my own home made crash pads
also what are runners and what are BD ATC
3 runners
1 10.3 x 60m Sterling dynamic rope
1 BD ATC

lubby

Jul 29, 2005, 5:08 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is def. cheaper to get into sport climbing. You will want to go with someone who has done this before... and they will probably have most of the gear to share. BD ATC is a Black Diamond ATC (Air Traffic Controller), which is probably the most common belay device out there. They cost < $20. They also have an ATC XP version that is slightly different. I would recommend either of these. There are other brands too, that all range in the $10-$20 price. You will also need a locking carabiner to attach it to your harness. Most people like the auto or twist lock kinds for sport. Just go to REI or your local climbing store and play with a few. Its good to have a couple lockers. These are in the $15 range.

There are rope deals for ~$100 all the time (sierratradingpost, etc).

Runners refer to pre-sewn loops of (usually) nylon or spectra cord (lighter) and are used for various things, such as building an anchor or attaching yourself to an anchor. You will want a few. They come in various lengths (1x, 2x, 3x where x is 60cm is typical - a few 2x's are the norm). These cost a few bucks for nylon and a few more for spectra.

If you have not toproped before, get yee to a gym or crag with someone who knows what is going on before buying a rope and quickdraws (you will need a harness, shoes, belay device, and locking biners anyway, although you can rent them at a gym). Be comfortable with toprope before you start leading. Get a book (like Freedom of the Hills) and read up a bit too.

Lup

mcgivney_nh

Jul 29, 2005, 5:15 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what are BD ATC

a BD ATC is the Black Diamond (BD) Air Traffic Control (ATC)

it is a belay device

alex_08

Jul 30, 2005, 9:50 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow i feel like such an idiot i knew about all tthe things that you said it was a dumb question but thanks for telling me

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook