RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

authorizeduser

Jul 19, 2005, 2:45 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1365 views)
Shortcut

Yosemite Valley
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm heading out to the valley in a few weeks and wanted to know if the parking situation was as bad as it was a few months ago. There were a lot of things blocked off due to construction and it was just a mess. Has it improved or is it still insane? If it's still the same way, I was thinking of going out to tuolumne instead. I've only been there once but it seemed like parking was better. Your info will be greatly appreciated.

sspssp

Jul 19, 2005, 3:33 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1365 views)
Shortcut

Re: Yosemite Valley [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Parking is still a nightmare and the valley is hot.

crackmd

Jul 19, 2005, 4:10 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1365 views)
Shortcut

Re: Yosemite Valley [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Despite the wideheld dream of spending a "summer in the Valley" and depite the fact that Camp 4 is filled with climbers in the summer, the Valley is not that great a summer crag. Temps are hot, crowds are huge and early in the summer, mosquitos can be a real nuisance. That being said, the Valley is still one of our country's premeir crags, and if summer is your only opportunity to go there then by all means go. Shade can be found and you can have a great time there despite the heat. Just keep in mind that there may be other summer places to climb where you don't have to deal with heat and crowds.
Tuolumne is definitely a great choice. Even though it is part of Yosemite, it is way more mellow than the Valley. The temps will be pleasant and parking is rarely an issue. Bring bug spray. The moderate trade routes (under 5.10) will have lines; climb harder routes if you are able and you won't have to wait for climbs as much.

Partner phaedrus

Jul 20, 2005, 4:55 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1365 views)
Shortcut

phaedrus moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

phaedrus moved this thread from General to Regional Discussions.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook