RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

sonyhome

Jul 25, 2005, 8:58 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1094 views)
Shortcut

More critics welcome
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have another two climbing pics online to review. I need composition ideas so critics on that are what I'm most looking for.

This is a more standard action climbing pic, I'd be happy to hear criticisms on what's missing to make this photo more dramatic/interresting. It's rated
at 6.75/10 and for somereason I think that's a fair rating, but can't put
my finger on what's missing to make it more of an eye popper.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=58015

This one is rated 7.30, but was much easier to take, and is very traditional in framing. I personally think it's a lesser photo than the above. Again any criticisms on it or reasons why this photo is good? BTW I did not touch up any of the pics, so this one taken too close to noon doesn't show the intense yellow/green color of the lychen, which would've made it more dramatic. Funny: another similar composition is at the same rting, but with small framing mistakes but better colors and nice scenery.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=58014

climbsomething

Jul 27, 2005, 8:15 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1094 views)
Shortcut

Re: More critics welcome [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Perhaps the Kole photo is getting harshed on because it's a TR shot? Which is too bad, because the TR is not overwhelming the composition. I like it. His hands and feet aren't cut off, and there's a very up close and personal, you are there quality to it. Knowing Kole as well as I do, I find this warm and fuzzy :) But I digress. This type of composition has been done and done, but I think this is a good example of it compared to the many "look at my macro on the hand/foot!" shots.

The second one, frankly, isn't all that good. The lighting and contrast, as you note, are very harsh. It's hard to appreciate the surrounding rock, and the climbers are obscured in the strong shadow. And that dike running to the climbers' left keeps pulling my eye away and confusing me into thinking their rope is running a completely separate direction.

The Kole shot is miles away better... but sometimes, well, the voting behavior around here can't be explained ;)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook