RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

wendyk

Jul 25, 2005, 9:26 PM
Post #1 of 17 (2967 views)
Shortcut

single female in Thailand
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm a 29-year-old female, leading sport routes to the 10b-c range. I'm planning a two-month trip to Thailand and China from the beginning of February. I plan on being in Thailand for about three weeks and would like to do some climbing while I'm there.
My question is: Does anyone know if I'll have any trouble finding a partner while I'm there? I haven't been able to coerce any of my partners to commit to taking two months off work yet. Also, is it inordinately dangerous for a female to travel alone in Thailand, Vietnam or China?

Partner iclimbtoo

Jul 25, 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #2 of 17 (2967 views)
Shortcut

Re: single female in Thailand [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think being a single guy over there looking for a partner was more difficult than being a single female looking for a partner, and I managed. People are amazingly friendly over there for sure. As for China, I don't know, but from what my parents tell me, it's the same way. Have a great time. In my opinion, Thailand is nirvana.

deschamps1000

Jul 25, 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #3 of 17 (2967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you bring gear, you will have no problem finding a partner.

If you don't bring a rope and draws, it will be much more difficult, since other people will be looking for partners with gear too. If you don't bring gear it will be possible, just more difficult.

You are guarenteed a partner everyday if you bring a rope and draws, or if you are willing to rent them there.

Enjoy paradise, wish I was going!

cosmin

Jul 25, 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi WendyK,

Don't know about Thailand but as far as China is concerned: it's safe. The biggest danger is being conned if overly un-careful - as far as personal safety is concerned, however, I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Plan your trip to China right after the 'Chinese New Year' since travelling during that period is nightmarish and prices shoot up unreasonably. Straight after, though, things turn out quite cosy. Since you plan on staying in Thailand three weeks that should bring you in China about right.

I'll be based in Guangzhou at that time and am happy to team up, offer beta and hook you up with other climbers (male/female - Chinese/foreigners) when am not available. At that time, in China, you'd want to climb only in the south, unless you're game for alpine, ice, mixed or trad stuff in wintry conditions (but I doubt by the way you describe yourself). The main areas you'd be looking at are Yangshou (Guangxi Prov.), YingDe (Guangdong Prov.), Guangzhou (Guangdong Prov.) and Hong Kong.

For further info, etc... send me an email at: cosmin.andron[AT]gmx.net

Best,
Cosmin

rb

Jul 25, 2005, 11:37 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I will be living in Beijing with my climbing partner during the time you will be traveling. If you are interested at all in climbing with us we should have a fair idea of the what and where's by then, although i am not sure you would want to be as far north as beijing in the winter.

cam

Jul 26, 2005, 12:03 AM
Post #6 of 17 (2967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey wendyk, my wife and two friends were in Thailand last November for only 2 weeks. I'm quite envious of your 3 or so weeks there. Anyhoo, my wife spent a good deal of time by herself, wandering here and there as she was not always keen on the climbing our two other companions and I had in mind so she opted to explore on her own. At no time did she feel in any particular danger, but I suppose danger is everywhere. I don't think you will be at any disadvantage being a single female in Thailand.

That being said, keep your wits about you and be very wary of anyone offering "friendly" advise such as "that place is closed today because today is a holiday but you can go to this other place which is not far and I just happen to have a friend here who drives a Tuk-Tuk (small taxi)". We heard this one over and over. The worst was while we were standing in front of the Grand Palace in Bangkok (but didn't know it) and asked a local passer-by where the Grand Palace was located (yes, we were somewhat turned around). The guy gave us the "it's closed for a holiday, but this other place is great. I'll take you in my taxi" routine. People where lined up to enter the Grand palace and my friend noticed a guard at the gate. He asked what time the palace was open and the guard chuckled and waved to the compound we were standing in front of.

Another thing, nail down the price of everything before you get in a taxi or hand over cash expecting change. A 200Baht taxi ride suddenly became 300Baht when the driver was handed a 500Baht note.

Some taxi's will try to take you on a small detour to visit jewelry retailers claiming they get a gas voucher from the dealer for every time they bring someone by the store. While this may be true, stand your ground or you may be in for a rather large detour. Trust me, I learned this one the hard way.

The four of us stayed and climbed around Ton Sai and Railay Beach(es) in Krabi province. There was no shortage of willing partners. You will likely be able to hook up with groups as well. Most climbers there have been there before and/or have been there for a while (some just never bothered to go back home) so they know the drill.

A lot of people told me that negotiating prices is not possible in Thailand but I don't know what they were smokin' because I found this to be just not accurate. NEVER settle for the first price offered and if they hold firm, the same item or service can be found for what you want to pay just around the corner (again, learned the hard way).

Oh one more thing, before you agree on a price and pay for accommodations, ask to have a look at where they are putting you. If you pay up front and are not satisfied, getting a refund is a pain in the ass. Again, learned this one the hard way.

So, have a blast and whenever you can remember, stop and take a step back, remember where you are, take in a deep breath (unless you are in Bangkok) and relish every minute.

Oh another thing, the worst looking places usually have the best food. At least that's what we found.

cam out.

wendyk

Jul 26, 2005, 8:25 PM
Post #7 of 17 (2967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow, thanks for all the great advice! I'm definitely getting excited and feel more confident now with the info that I probably don't have to worry about having a partner.

Do any of you know about buying gear in Thailand? I don't really want to buy anything new except a new rope. (Current one will be turned into a gym rope come ski season.) I was wondering if it will be better to buy a new one here and lug it there, or to buy one in Thailand. Any ideas?

evilmoose

Jul 26, 2005, 8:39 PM
Post #8 of 17 (2967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Prices are ok in Thailand (there are shops with climbing gear on both Railay and Ton Sai), but you'll probably be able to get something cheaper at home. But if you don't have to, it's much better not to be using a new rope there, as they tend to get trashed (a lot of people take an older rope, then donate it to the guys who work on re-equipping routes when they leave).

Partner abe_ascends

Jul 26, 2005, 9:42 PM
Post #9 of 17 (2967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a visitor in Thailand, I'd suggest being careful, especially in major cities. It's a gorgeous country, but bad things do happen there. Be especially wary of cab and Tuk Tuk drivers if you are in Bangkok. Traffic alone can be murderous, and no one really pays any attention to most road rules. Because their pay is so meager, some cabbies and Tuk Tuk drivers often take amphetimenes to keep them awake longer and increase the amount of fares they can collect on a given day. Also be especially careful on a Tuk Tuk. They are a favorite mode of transportation for tourists, however, their three wheels make them prone to toppling over around corners. When I was in Bangkok last summer, my group got into three Tuk Tuk's coming out of Silom Village. The drivers decided to race each other at a light, and one even pulled a wheely as he peeled out.
Oh, also be careful if you visit the extreme south. Last summer there was some insugence going on down there. I'm not sure if it's still a problem. Something to look into if you plan on visiting the area.

As a last piece of advice, use your head and enjoy your stay. I'm extremely envious of your visit, as I wish I could go back there sometime soon. Thailand is definitely one of my favorite places to visit.

superjosh

Jul 26, 2005, 9:58 PM
Post #10 of 17 (2967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second the advice given by cam and evilmoose. First, always be on your guard, especially when in Bangkok. While physical violence seems relatively rare, scam artists abound. The Lonely Planet, etc. guidebooks set you up, remarking how friendly and helpful the Thais can be. It's the "Land of Smiles," right? Don't be fooled. Plan not to buy anything besides food and drink in Bangkok. It seemed to me that everybody had an angle. As a general rule, avoid the tuk-tuks altogether. Honestly, I would get the flock out of Bangkok as quickly as possible and maximize my climbing time if I had it to do over again. Bangkok is hot, dirty, and full of drunken Westerners. I had a sore throat from the smog after 4 days there.

Second, gear gets trashed climbing in Krabi. I retired my almost new rope and shoes after a six week trip. As evilmoose said, the climbing shops can use retired ropes to re-equip the threads often found on routes (you'll see).

Two other caveats: Expansion bolts are becoming obsolete in Krabi's corrosive seaside environment. They rust out very quickly. Most of the high-traffic routes have been re-equipped with quality glue-ins. That said, my favorite route in Thailand (Cross Eyed) had an expansion bolt protecting its crux. Be careful with expansion bolts. Examine them thoroughly before trusting them. Also, the water off of the Phra Nang peninsula is not as clean as it looks. I think they dump the sewage from the resorts directly into the water without any treatment. After a couple of weeks of all of my cuts getting mysteriously nfected, someone clued me in. I took a course of antibiotics and stopped swimming, and the infections cleared up.

Have a great trip.

Josh

realdeal39

Jul 26, 2005, 11:55 PM
Post #11 of 17 (2967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I was in Beijing there was an indoor bouldering gym with a bar in the middle. Is that still there? Man I miss China sometimes. Just wish I was single when I went there.

deschamps1000

Jul 27, 2005, 3:35 PM
Post #12 of 17 (2967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as gear goes, there are gear stores there but you are better off buying stuff here, since they have to pay for shipping all the way to thailand.

IMPORTANT: Your rope will get thrashed over there. The combination of sand, salt, and sun really takes years off of a rope in a matter of weeks over there. So I would highly highly recomend taking the rope you are about to retire, rather than buying a new one and taking it. Make sure to bring a rope tarp too.

If your current rope is really getting old, just buy a new one and use the new rope until Thailand, and save your old rope for the trip. Seriously, you don't want to bring a new rope over there.

And just so you know, the cheapest places to stay are on Pra Nang beach (I think that's what it's called). The beach North of Railey West.

I am so so jealous. That place is heaven on earth. Please stuff me into a suitcase and take me with you.

Eric

wonderwoman

Jul 27, 2005, 5:31 PM
Post #13 of 17 (2967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi WendyK -

You are going to love Thailand! I was in Railay for my Honeymoon last June and it was awesome! Although I was not alone while I was there, I feel that Railay would be an extremely safe place for a single woman to travel. The men were very respectful and kind, and I never once picked up the 'creepy-I-have-to-be-super-vigilant' feeling that I get when traveling to some places in the states.

I was only in Bangkok for a night. I would say, as in any city setting, that a single woman should watch her back there.

Have and awesome time!!!

tadam2000

Jul 27, 2005, 5:48 PM
Post #14 of 17 (2967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in Thailand 2 or 3 times a year. The dangers come from the traffic and the water; the kind of physical dangers most people are concerned about are more likely to come from other westerners than Thais. Frankly, I feel safer walking around Bangkok at night than I do in Los Angeles during the day time.

Partner abe_ascends

Jul 27, 2005, 8:18 PM
Post #15 of 17 (2967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
the kind of physical dangers most people are concerned about are more likely to come from other westerners than Thais. Frankly, I feel safer walking around Bangkok at night than I do in Los Angeles during the day time.

In Bangkok it REALLY depends on where you are. I was there on a volunteering trip last summer and stayed in the slums of Klong Toey. I felt safe along the main roads, but even the locals said to stay away from some of the smaller roads, especially at night. Drugs and violence are the name of the game when you wander into the wrong area at the wrong time. Unfortunately as a westerner it can be hard to tell where those wrong areas are, especially if a cabby just drops you off in the middle of nowhere (it does happen!). Just keep a lookout and listen to your gut. Asking the locals what places should be avoided may also be a good idea. Any doubts, and get the hell outta there.
Again, safe and happy trip. Sooo jealous!

karlbaba

Jul 28, 2005, 12:35 AM
Post #16 of 17 (2967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Seems like single women travel fine in Thailand using the same intelligence that keeps you safe anywhere. No Stress.

You might find some resources helpful in the links at the bottom of my Thailand Relief Tsunami page at

http://www.yosemiteclimber.com/railayreunion.html

PEace

Karl

architect

Aug 8, 2005, 9:06 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm looking to go there from feb 4 to the 18th 2006. I climb about the same grade as you have posted. I haven't convinced any of my current partners to go yet but I am definitely going, so If your there I'll share a rope with ya.
send me a PM

Karl Trout
><,`>

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook