RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

clymbhigh7

Aug 1, 2005, 2:48 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2231 views)
Shortcut

Virgin Rock in So Ill
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

I've been holding it back for a while now but it is time for me to share the love of new untouched rock. On the way to Jackson in Ozark, Il I would assume everyone sees a sign for Camp Ondessonk. Well anyways its on private property but I have access to the place considering I've worked the Rock Adventure program there for 3 summers now and have helped bolt 6 kiddish type routes out there. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in hitting up untouched routes/boulders around the Cedar Falls aka Packentuck area and yet another canyon I know about. Drop me a response and I can get back to you all about setting up a weekend to check out this virgin rock. Climb on freaks. :twisted:

exposed

Aug 1, 2005, 3:50 AM
Post #2 of 9 (2231 views)
Shortcut

Re: Virgin Rock in So Ill [In reply to]
Report this Post

i've been climbing in that area for at least 8 years. illegally of course. Maybe when it cools off later this fall i would be up for a revisit. Are you the one who set the 3 bolt top rope anchors??

equal_1

Aug 1, 2005, 4:37 AM
Post #3 of 9 (2231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

sounds like a plan to me ... just let me know what weekend and where to meet up and i will be there ... my skill level is around 5.9. - 5.11
but willing to try any grade on top-rope . .. .. if you think i would be out of my element on this new found rock then let me know other wise i would love to come along .

healyje

Aug 1, 2005, 5:17 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

If those routes are top rope height with easy access to the top you might want to consider not bolting them. The damage was done at JF long ago in a long deliberated trade off, but you might want to think twice before turning a virgin hollow or crag into another outdoor climbing gym - and about advertising it on the Internet when it is on private property (not yours) or in designated wilderness...just a thought anyway.

organic

Aug 4, 2005, 2:50 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

hmm does So. Ill. really need more routes? I highly doubt this place has better boulders than the Holies or better quality climbs than Jackson. With probably easily over 1000 routes in Southern Illinois, most that need cleaning because of lack of use, why do more need to be bolted? Get out and do something good for So. Ill. scrub a few routes, unless you are putting up 13's or 14's you are pretty much wasting your time, I don't think anyone wants to climb some obscure 5.7, 10 minutes from Jackson Falls. If you want an FA there are a few 13's at Jackson still unclimbed...

mistymountainhop

Aug 26, 2005, 1:54 AM
Post #6 of 9 (2231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

1.) All this bluff is on private property. Ie, No climbing
2.95% of the boulders at camp ondessonk are choss.
3. Although the rock is equally tall as Jackson there are tons of blank spots that would be unclimbable.
4. Rock quality is really crappy.
5. Eric Ulner was hired to put up several easy routes for young campers.
I worked at camp for a couple of summers, and thought long and hard about putting up routes. The few TR anchors we did put in were in less than quality wet sandstone, but then again the weather might have played a factor. But Camp O is def. NO Jackson Falls. Your best plan would be sticking to Jackson.

equal_1

Aug 26, 2005, 7:59 AM
Post #7 of 9 (2231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

note taken by those who have said this is private land ... although i like to see new places even if i dont get to climb them i would hate to tresspass on anyones land ... i will for now stick with the wonderful climbs i have come to know at the falls . there is so much to climb at jackson falls that i think it will keep me happy and interrested for a while . maybe even years..... thank you for the offer clibhigh .... but hey any time anyone would like to join up for a day or two on the weekend at jackson ... just pm me ..

reprieve

Aug 26, 2005, 4:36 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

don't listen to mistymountain. he is a dirty, dirty spraylord. :wink:

mistymountainhop

Aug 26, 2005, 5:04 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Repreive don't know who he rollin with!

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook