RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

ucfrockclimber

Aug 5, 2005, 8:55 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1663 views)
Shortcut

HP 40 next week?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am a college kid from UCF in Orlando florida and a few friends of mine and I want to make the drive up to HP 40 do boulder next week 8/9-8/13 however I have noticed that it has been raining alot lately and will rain next week, well so says the weather channel. I was wondering if there is an natives up there to tell me if it would be worth it or if the rock would be too wet or the ground soaked and not worth going. Any input would be great! Thanks.

ninjatoes

Aug 5, 2005, 11:05 AM
Post #2 of 9 (1663 views)
Shortcut

Re: HP 40 next week? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hp 40 tends to dry out pretty fast. i have been there when it poured at night and by the next afternoon it was fine. however, its super humid right now, so its gonna be greasy either way.
ive been climbing at LRC (1.5 hours north of hp) and its been dry.
my best advice: get up early and climb, then go to the movies or something during the afternoon, then cimb again once the sun goes down.
jenny

sandstone

Aug 5, 2005, 12:43 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The rain hasn't been too bad for the few weeks, though it's always a crap shoot with summer thundershowers. There's only one way to find out for sure, and that's to just go.

fishbelly

Aug 5, 2005, 1:06 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jenny

Where is LRC

Thank You

fishbelly

Aug 5, 2005, 4:25 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jenny no need to reply.

LRC = Little River Canyon.

I am old, not too bright and have been drinking instant coffee the last two mornings

captianstatic

Aug 5, 2005, 5:33 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dude, wait 2 months and you'll have a much better time. Trying to stick slopers in the dog days of summer blows. You'll be slimming off left and right. wait till mid-october

styndall

Aug 5, 2005, 5:43 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Jenny no need to reply.

I am old, not too bright and have been drinking instant coffee the last two mornings

She probably means Little Rock City instead. Check the SEClimbers webboard for info. Access was a little strange last time I checked, and you'll get your info there.

tenn_dawg

Aug 5, 2005, 5:46 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Jenny no need to reply.

She probably means Little Rock City instead. Check the SEClimbers webboard for info. Access was a little strange last time I checked, and you'll get your info there.

I dunno, it seems like HP40 was more than an hour and a half from Chattanooga, but maybe I was just driving tired.

To climb at Little Rock City, you need to get a pass and a waiver from the www.seclimbers.org website. Little River Canyon? Bring a rope. Or a kayak.

dsmithdsp

Aug 5, 2005, 5:54 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't wait, do both. I was up there (yea, from here Alabama is up there) a few weeks ago. If you're from FL, you know how to handle the heat. It was really nice to get three different bouldering sessions in on one day. Wake up early and do what you can while it's still cool. Break for a few hours then hit it again after lunch. Then, after another rest, go at it just before sunset when it's cooling down again.

As for the rain, I've also experienced thunderstorms before a beautiful day of boldering where most everything was dry.

For those complaining about heat and humidity, AL is nothing compared to Austin (about my only other practical option) this time of year. Must be nice to pick and choose days at the crag based on temperature. I guess I'll have to stick to holidays until I can move somewhere a few feet above sea level.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook