RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

chrisparedes

Aug 9, 2005, 3:41 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1319 views)
Shortcut

Flexibility Problems?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I feel like my flexibility is holding me back on sending harder problems and sport routes. I think its my hip flexors, yet I dont have a problem so much with high stepping as I do spreading my legs out wide, as if I were trying to do a split, I just can't get them to spread out wide wich makes it difficult to do hard sit starts where I have low holds and have to get my feet and butt really close into the rock to get off the ground. I know if I could just get my hips in closer, and my legs out farther, I would have no problems. Any tips on helping to improve this sort of flexibility I'm looking for? Specific stretches? Thanks

Partner tattooed_climber

Aug 9, 2005, 4:16 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1319 views)
Shortcut

Re: Flexibility Problems? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lots of wild crazy sex will help you move in ways you never thought possible!

static_endurance

Aug 9, 2005, 5:03 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
lots of wild crazy sex will help you move in ways you never thought possible!
Couldn't have said it better myself :)

I'm not sure exactly which muscles you're talking about exactly, or what stretches are best. But i find that the best way to improve my flexability is by "tricking" the muscle that i'm stretching. I generally let off the stretch a tiny bit, then flex that muscle as hard as i can for about 8-10 seconds. From there, i go full back into the stretch, and repeat this process about 3 or 4 times. It works for me, however, most people will recommend against such a thing, as doing it improperly can severely damage a muscle or muscle group. I only do it after a climbing session or another agressive activity session, since this is probably the worst thing you can do to a cold muscle. But hey, it works for ballet dancers, and they're flexable as hell. But be super careful if you decide to do this.

overlord

Aug 9, 2005, 11:51 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there are two ways to stretch the muscle. one is what s_e describes and is best used on warmed up muscles. its also supposed to yield better results.

the other is to slowly stretch the muscles. you can do that gently even with a cold muscle.

the best ways to stretch hip flexors are splits (or as close to them as you can get) and butterfly (sit on your backside, bottoms of your feet together, put them as close to your crotch as you can and then push the knees down).

also try getting your hands on a good joga book :wink:

thestingrea

Aug 9, 2005, 1:28 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

GET ON YOUR HANDS AND KNEES THEN SIT YOUR BUTT BACK ON YOUR HEALS. SPREAD YOUR KNEES AS FAR AS YOU CAN THEN ROCK FORWARD PUTTING YOUR WEIGHT ON YOUR HANDS. THIS WILL STRAITEN YOUR HIPS OUT MOST OF THE WAY WHILE THE FLOOR HOLDS YOUR KNEES AT A SET DISTANCE. I CALL THEM FLOOR HUMPERS, MAYBE NOT THE MOST TECHNICAL BUT I CAN REALLY FEEL THE PULL AND IT SHOULD TARGET THE MUSCLE YOUR LOOKING FOR.

Partner jammer

Aug 9, 2005, 2:39 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
GET ON YOUR HANDS AND KNEES THEN SIT YOUR BUTT BACK ON YOUR HEALS. SPREAD YOUR KNEES AS FAR AS YOU CAN THEN ROCK FORWARD PUTTING YOUR WEIGHT ON YOUR HANDS. THIS WILL STRAITEN YOUR HIPS OUT MOST OF THE WAY WHILE THE FLOOR HOLDS YOUR KNEES AT A SET DISTANCE. I CALL THEM FLOOR HUMPERS, MAYBE NOT THE MOST TECHNICAL BUT I CAN REALLY FEEL THE PULL AND IT SHOULD TARGET THE MUSCLE YOUR LOOKING FOR.

Stop your god damn hollerin'!! Don't you know it early?? People are trying to sleep here at work .... ssshhhhhhh!!!!

Put your feet against the wall, spread out as far as possible. Slowly, bend forward. When you can accomplish this, have someone increase the streach by gently pushing up closer to the wall as you streach. This can also be done whit two people. Place your feet togeather, facing each other. Slowly spread your feet apart while gently pulling on each others hands. Have fun, and be careful not to over do it.

Alan

thestingrea

Aug 9, 2005, 4:46 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Muhbad I was all sweaty and scared that last post being my first and all so I guess I went a little bit overboard. Hope you can manage to get nestled back in. I know how cranky I get when I don't get my full 8 hours of "work sleep"

Partner jammer

Aug 9, 2005, 7:53 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks ... that's better :D :wink:

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook